Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 01-03-2011, 01:27 PM
Wookie Collie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPP View Post
It seems to me that many of these people don't actually think of Facebook as PUBLIC. They're doing a sort of stream-of-consciousness thing in the privacy of their own minds and are sincerely shocked when other people home in on what they say.
I think this sometimes, as well. Especially because often, once they're called on it once, they stop doing it.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 01-03-2011, 01:28 PM
Mutts to you

I don't get Facebook... or Twitter... or any of those sites. I don't want people to know where I am or what I'm thinking/doing etc., and if I haven't gotten in touch with you since high school - well, maybe there's a reason for it!

I am beginning to think I'm one of the few people left who doesn't have a Facebook account and doesn't want one...

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 01-03-2011, 01:36 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

facebook definitely serves it's purpose for some people. LIke I use it because my family and friends are all far away from where I live now and same with my hubby's family. So we all like to keep in touch on there. My mom likes to read status updates about Hannah while she's at work lol so I try to post a picture or post about something funny she did each day because I know my mom is checking lol. Even though I talk to her on the phone every night it just brightens her day to see a new picture of hannah.

plus it's addicting lol. I like reading the funny little things that go on in people's lives that they otherwise wouldn't bring up. but I'm also one of those people that when we are driving down the street I look at the other cars and wonder "hmm wonder where they are going, what are they doing, where are they coming from, are they going home, do they have a family, are they happy" LOL yeah I'm wierd like that.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 01-03-2011, 01:37 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPP View Post
It seems to me that many of these people don't actually think of Facebook as PUBLIC. They're doing a sort of stream-of-consciousness thing in the privacy of their own minds and are sincerely shocked when other people home in on what they say.

The one I really don't get is Twitter. Facebook you can set your privacy setting so only friends can see your drama. Not that I approve of airing your drama to all your friends, but at least you KNOW them. Twitter ANYONE can see.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 01-03-2011, 01:47 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

yeah twitter I only use for etsy promoting purposes lol otherwise I just can't be bothered to inform a bunch of strangers about my daily goings on

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 01-03-2011, 02:56 PM
Blonde Raccoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilavati View Post
The one I really don't get is Twitter. Facebook you can set your privacy setting so only friends can see your drama. Not that I approve of airing your drama to all your friends, but at least you KNOW them. Twitter ANYONE can see.
You can set your Twitter to private and allow only certain people to follow you.

ETA I also don't approve of airing your drama! I actually hate seeing it popping up on my news feed!

Paris - On Target's Oooh La La
Seamus O'Grady, the supermutt.

& Sally, never forgotten.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:08 PM
swimming upstream

this is a question I have asked myself too--just don't understand some of the things people put out there! My Ex SIL posted something about my brother and how he will regret it, blah blah blah...what the heck does she think I"m going to do with that? OY!
Old 01-03-2011, 07:00 PM
petperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snark View Post
I don't get Facebook... or Twitter... or any of those sites. I don't want people to know where I am or what I'm thinking/doing etc., and if I haven't gotten in touch with you since high school - well, maybe there's a reason for it!

I am beginning to think I'm one of the few people left who doesn't have a Facebook account and doesn't want one...
I don't! I don't! And I don't want one either, for the exact same reasons!
Old 01-03-2011, 07:23 PM
Top Dog

I enjoy facebook for the purposes of friends who post interesting links, photos of their travels/the past/whatever, music, or just make funny, witty comments or share anecdotes.

I quickly block, delete, or "hide" those who rant about what a horrid evil witch their ex-wife is, or how their mother is a terrible control freak. I know this one girl, and I guess it's kind of sad, because her mom is abusive and very mentally ill (possibly schizophrenic but I'm not use, she's delusional, hallucinates, and screams at/threatens her daughter because of it) but the girl is constantly posting about her mom being abusive or crazy. The thing that really bothers me is she posts hidden camera videos of her mom's fits and episodes. I'd probably feel a lot worse for the girl if we were like 14 or 15, but we're friggin 20 years old. Quit complaining and move the hell out of your parent's house....

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 01-03-2011, 07:26 PM
Irritate with Caution!!

I LOVE facebook for many things, I have a lot of family and friends in far away places and it allows me to keep in touch, post photos for everyone to see etc... for example right now mydaughter is in the hospital, she will be induced tomorrow morning and with the ability to post on facebook we will be able to keep everyone inthe loop as things progress...

I have vented once or twice, just a general vent though... I NEVER vent about family, freinds or work on there... EVER... and my venting is so rare that I usually feel stupid after.... LOL

I have people on there whom I have deleted because I get tired of reading about things that I should not know about, things that i am frankly embarrassed to know about, and things that I know they may regret saying.....

Facebook is awesome, when used in a positive way, aggravating when used for Drama, Drama, Drama....