Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 12-23-2010, 07:24 PM
MyHorseMyRules

Raja and Tempie are both right about 50 lbs. When I feed kibble, they both get two cups in the morning and two cups in the evening. They're both very active.

That keeps Tempie very slender. Since she's a working dog, I try to keep her nice and trim. If you feel her ribs, it's about like feeling the back of your hand. Raja, I keep just a tad bit heavier. She's certainly far from overweight, but she has a small amount of cushion on her ribs.

Boone has only ever eaten raw. He is 15 lbs and eating 1 1/2 lbs per day. For reference, the girls each get 2 lbs a day. But he's a growing boy.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:17 PM
orange iguanas.

Lucy is an overweight 12lbs and gets about 1/2 cup a day. She's not really into food though. It's not unusual for her to skip a meal or two during the day.

Juno weighs 48lbs and gets 3 cups a day. She acts like she is STARVING. If I set a 30 pound bag of food in front of her, she would try her hardest to eat the entire 30 pounds. But she's at a nice weight and she doesn't spend her day begging for food, she just becomes an issue when meal time is approaching.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 12-24-2010, 12:21 AM
Samson's Cheeze Ladyz

I give Sam 1 cup of food at dinnertime, I'd like to split it so that's it's 1/2 in the morning, 1/2 in the evening, but he only eats at dinnertime. He weighs 15Ibs and is slightly underweight, for his size he should be getting 3/4 cups a day. He'll happily skip a meal if he's gotten anything other than kibble throughout the day.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:45 AM
Backward_Cinderella

I must be the only free feeder here... I'm not sure how much either of them eat... They're both grazers. Neither is over or under weight and neither ever over indulges. They've been free fed as long as I've had them because that's what my parents do, and its difficult to keep them out of food that's sitting on the floor... even now that we don't live with them, its what they're used to, so its what I do.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:24 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Chloe is 50 pounds (the booger is finally filling out or something, because ever since she was around nine months she's weighed 45 pounds exactly, but she recentally gained five pounds - I can still feel her ribs easily under her fluff, so I'm not concerned at all) and I feed her 2 cups of TOTW a day, or whenever she empties her bowl. I basically free feed her, but I just like to moniter how much I give her incase she ever becomes ill. She'll eat the entire two cups a day, or just nit pick at it for a two days or so.

Rose is 60ish pounds and gets about 3 cups of food (Exceed Lamb and Rice) in the evening. She'll pick at it throughout the day and is ready for her next bowl full when the next evening rolls around. She used to eat about 4 or 5 cups a day as that is what Blackie had to eat to stay trim and it was hard getting the dogs to eat out of their respective dishes, so we fed them the same amount. She was tubby then, but she's finally slimmed down and is at a good weight now.

Old 12-24-2010, 04:40 PM
just call me Nilly

Sierra gets 3/4 of a pound of food a day. If I follow the general "2-3% of their body weight" rule for raw, she gets fat (1 and 1/4lbs is 2.5%). She gets about 1.5% of her body weight (about 48lbs). I also have to be very careful with bones and treats that she gets in a day. Those come out of her daily portion of food, not in addition to.

When I feed kibble, she gets 1.5 cups a day, with a little of whatever extras I add to her bowl. She gains weight by LOOKING at food.

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010

Last edited by vanillasugar; 12-24-2010 at 05:03 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:30 PM
Top Dog

Hannah weighs 70 pounds. When she was kibble fed she ate 4 cups a day. On raw she get a little over a pound a food a day. In the summer when we are really active she gets 2 pounds a food a day.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:33 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Rosey is free fed, but only eats like 1/4-1/3 cup of food a day

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 12-25-2010, 06:35 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Frodo is 30 pounds (well...29, but 30 is easier, lol) and gets 1 cup per day. I don't think he is overweight, but he weighs more than I want him to, especially with his back so I have been thinking about cutting him back to less.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:35 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Kim (48lbs) eats 1 - 1.25lbs/day (or 1.5-2 cups kibble)
Webster (23lbs) eats .5lbs/day (or 3/4 cup kibble)
Mira (58lbs) eats 3-4lbs/day (or 5 cups kibble)

(approximate)

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13