Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 12-23-2010, 08:32 AM
Top Dog

Question How Much?

How much food do you feed your dogs? Timber is always ravenous when it comes to feeding time. Okay i'm exaggerating a little bit, but it does seem like he is always really hungry during feeding time.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:48 AM
Top Dog

Lucy gets 1/2 cup in the morning and 1/4 cup in the evening. She, too, acts starving, but that amount of food is what keeps her weight at a good level, so it's all she gets. She'd eat 4 cups a day if we offered it (no joke). A few times she's gotten into the food bag and eaten POUNDS of it.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:52 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Lucy gets 1/2 cup in the morning and 1/4 cup in the evening. She, too, acts starving, but that amount of food is what keeps her weight at a good level, so it's all she gets. She'd eat 4 cups a day if we offered it (no joke). A few times she's gotten into the food bag and eaten POUNDS of it.
She ate that much???
How much does Lucy weigh?
I need to keep in mind that Timber is still a growing pup, is it normal for them to act like they're starving though?
Old 12-23-2010, 08:56 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
She ate that much???
How much does Lucy weigh?
I need to keep in mind that Timber is still a growing pup, is it normal for them to act like they're starving though?
Sorry, she's about 25 lbs.

I have never had a puppy (so someone else will have to chime in on that), but all dogs are different. Lucy is a food addict through and through, while my in laws have to practically bribe their dog to eat. I don't know if there's a "normal".
Old 12-23-2010, 09:03 AM
Top Dog

Tynan was like that when he was younger, and when he was Timber's age he would eat with gusto but not to the extent that Timber's in now. Just wondering. Now Tynan eats at a good pace, not too fast and not too slow.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:11 AM
Just try me..

On the 'starving thing'. Dekka will eat till she throws up, and then eat some more. Some dogs are always hungry. My parents had a chessie that was always ravenous. One day they decided to see how much it took to fill him, they gave up before they found out as they were worried he'd blow.

So if your dog is in good condition with good energy levels then you are feeding the right amount. (Dekka when she was fed kibble ate about 3 tablespoons a day)
Old 12-23-2010, 10:53 AM
Tweleve Enthusiest

All of mine will totally act like they're starved. My chubby one ~ Morgan ~ is the worst of them for that...She'll nip fingers when you give a treat because she's so starved she can't hold back when taking it.

If his weight and coat look good and has energy, don't worry about how he acts at feeding time.

Ares, 23 pounds, gets 1-2 cups a day, depending on how active he is and how cold it is.
Morgan, 21 pounds, gets 3/4 - 1 cup a day. Less than that and she will start throwing up bile, more than that and she'll get really fat. I need to try to supplement her with some veggies maybe.
Tyr, 50 pounds, gets 2-3 cups a day depending on how active he is.
Nyx, 65 pounds, gets 2 cups a day.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 12-23-2010, 11:05 AM
Clicker Extremist

Abby the Labby gets 3 cups per day. We also feed her only 1 of her three meals from the bowl. The rest are via dispensing toys. She acts like we're starving her but her weight and condition are good so she's just gonna have to suffer
Old 12-23-2010, 11:32 AM
Top Dog

Jack, 25 lbs, gets 1 cup of kibble, split into two meals. He also gets a bit of canned or premade raw mixed in, with a raw egg a couple times a week.

Missy, 75 lbs, gets 3 cups of kibble, also split into two meals. She gets her breakfast plain, but her dinner usually has something extra - premade raw, a raw egg, canned, etc.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:16 PM
Top Dog

Dance (30lbs) eats a half cup of Acana Wild Prairie or Grasslands (we rotate every couple of months) in the morning, and a half cup in the evening. Which totals to one cup per day.

Keira (60lbs) eats 1 cup in the morning and 1 cup in the evening of Acana Pacifica. Which totals to two cups per day.

Ripley (80lbs) eats 2 cups in the morning and 2 cups at night of Acana Sport & Agility. Which totals to four cups per day.

These amounts keep them all trim and fit and healthy, but they all act like they're starving. They're all major food hounds (especially Dance), and would love to sit down and eat a whole bag of food in one sitting if we let them. Doesn't matter how much we feed them, they'll always want more.

Ripley
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FDCh-G
Keira CGN