Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 12-21-2010, 05:59 PM
overdogged

i'm not a kid person AT ALL (i think i'm allergic, actually) but i'm totally in favor of kids in dog classes (and sports) provided that the dog is controlled and the kid remains on task and doesn't disrupt the class. sometimes kids can far outshine adults in training because they are often more creative, have fewer inhibitions about "looking stupid", and because they listen to what they're being told to do.

like danefied mentioned, this isn't going to work in a leash-jerking alpha-rolling environment, but in a reward-based training program? absolutely.

not to mention, the more kids are taught to interact safely and respectfully with dogs, the more kids learn to understand how dogs function and to read their responses to things, the more safe kids we have.

i've seen under-12-ers rocking it out in the rally ring with dogs they've trained themselves, and there are several kids running high-drive dogs in flyball tournaments in my area. with parental supervision, but doing a great job. kudos to them and to their parents, i say.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 12-21-2010, 06:46 PM
I'm All Ears

Wow, I have to say I love the perseverance of this one lol. How many screen names is that now?
Old 12-21-2010, 07:03 PM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
but most importantly, when training a dog new behaviors it is better to have one person teach those behaviors till they become "trained" then pass them off to others. Sure you can do it with multiple people, it just causes some confusion and usually it takes longer. I think everyone could agree on that.
I agree. This is why Darien is the only one who has taken classes with Sport. The kids I taught in agility were the only ones taking the classes.

There is an awesome young man who runs in regionals with his golden, starting when he was 11. He totally trained the dog, and they are awesome. He is a fantastic trainer.

This is why I personally am picking on this. If these people think their system is such hot stuff and works sooooo much better than other methods why can't a 9 year old do it? And if they can't how can they call other methods that allow a young child to successfully train and work with a dog less effective than their own?
Old 12-21-2010, 07:06 PM
Top Dog

i'm not saying kids can't do it at all. I encourage them, neighbor kids are over all the time, and gasp, my dogs do bitework regularly. We have kids of all ages at our club, some handle dogs, some just play on the sidelines.

But I can certainly see why someone might not allow young kids in a training group. There have been some kids that love training a dog, start to finish. Most lost interest the first time something doesn't "work" or soon thereafter leaving the training to someone else. Short attention spans on kids aren't exactly uncommon.

eta, i should say, "had kids" of all ages. Now most of them have grown up a bit and are now teenagers and a few with the younger ones have lost interest with 4 kids under age 7 other things are higher on their priority list now.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:13 PM
Not a Border Collie

Loving the pictures of the dogs & their kids! I wish I could post pictures of Quinn and her old kids (breeder's children), but I definitely don't feel comfortable posting the pictures without permission. Quinn is an absolute freak for kids - not only did her breeder have her own kids (not super young but still in elementary school) but did a ton of trips to schools and soccer games with the puppies. Kids are by far her favorite 'kind' of people, lol.

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 12-21-2010, 07:17 PM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
But I can certainly see why someone might not allow young kids in a training group. There have been some kids that love training a dog, start to finish. Most lost interest the first time something doesn't "work" or soon thereafter leaving the training to someone else. Short attention spans on kids aren't exactly uncommon.
A lot of adults loose interest too. Doesn't mean we have to lock them in their cars.

Heck even in classes where kids didn't handle the dogs they weren't made to stay in cars. Distractions can be great for training we used to borrow the kids from time to time and incorporated them into lessons.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:20 PM
Top Dog

Really?
Old 12-21-2010, 07:23 PM
Just try me..

Really to which? I know when I was taking classes they were always much smaller by the end. Or was it really to using children in the classes as pylons in family dog classes or for proofing stays in the open classes?
Old 12-21-2010, 07:40 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

I love those pictures.

I wish I had pictures of Harley and me. He was a Rottweiler bought when I was in first grade *gasp* that of course was mainly taken care of my my mom, but I trained him tricks *gasp* and took over his training as we got older together, much of which was while I was under 12. *gasp*
Old 12-21-2010, 08:20 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
Really to which? I know when I was taking classes they were always much smaller by the end. Or was it really to using children in the classes as pylons in family dog classes or for proofing stays in the open classes?
both, and i wasn't really serious, it was more of a thanks for stating the obvious.