Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 12-21-2010, 04:25 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
That little guy in the photos is obviously wonderful with his dog and just look how the dog is lovin' every minute.
They have trust issues. Its sad really....

And dominance issues too. See the dog clearly dominating the poor unsuspecting kid. So sad...

Sorry, I just have zero patience for this kind of idiocity.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:49 PM
Top Dog

Super pics Dekka. Yeah, how pathetic that dude is to keep dogs and kids away from each other. Kids and dogs. Kids and dogs. That's how it's always been. We got our first dog as a married couple when my daughter was one and a half...a GSD. She was wonderful with him and he with her. (Kids can be trained too)

Terrifically cute pictures!
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-21-2010, 04:51 PM
Top Dog

Awwww...Danefield. I missed that last post. What adorable pictures. Yup....definitely a dangerous and confusing situation for the dog. Kids aren't serious enough for dogs. After all, we know how serious dogs take life. *sarcasm*
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-21-2010, 04:56 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danefied View Post
They have trust issues. Its sad really....
Synchronized Alpha Rolling!!

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 12-21-2010, 05:00 PM
Top Dog

I've got something too:

Domineering Lab...very dangerous.

Big kid. You can see how miserable his dog is and what a look of distrust is on her face:

You can tell this dog would be less confused if kid were locked in a car. (of course, he's over 12. Maybe that's why)

Wha? Under 12 and not locked up in a car? How damaging to the dog.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-21-2010, 05:14 PM
Just try me..

in my classes I have taught kids and dogs. Darien, my son has taken classes with his dog too. (group classes no less) If your training facility can't handle real life situations what is the point of sending family dogs there?

Oh and a few more kids and dogs..

Darien and a Chaz dog (which one?)

Dekka doesnt' look pleased but hey maybe thats cause he's near her?

Oh another chaz dog. OMG competing with a dog IN PUBLIC with a child under 10 oh noes!

Sigh...
Old 12-21-2010, 05:32 PM
Top Dog

Those dogs are clearly confused and miserable. Better get those kids away and lock 'em up.

Honestly, those are adorable pictures and they are proof how well kids and dogs can (and should) go together. (as long as parents are as good as we are...lol...and teach kids to not mistreat or cause harm to dogs)

I think Dekka looks pleased in every way except she looks like she's blinking her eyes just in case some evil water gets splashed in them. That's a really cute picture.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-21-2010, 06:06 PM
Top Dog

These pictures are great! Just loooove the baby pics!

Yeah, its kind of hard to teach the 12 and under crowd a proper leash pop. Not to mention what a lovely value to instill in your child.

Fortunately dogs are capable of learning in other ways
Old 12-21-2010, 06:20 PM
Top Dog

OK, i think these "trainers" are a bit off, but does not allowing kids really warrant this much "discussion" I can think of quite a few reasons not to allow kids. For one, it can be a liability, they may not want the distraction and believe it or not, some people really enjoy NOT having kids around at every event. Me personally, i love them. We have kids from younger than year all the way up to 60 year olds that act like kids in our club. But not everyone does.

but most importantly, when training a dog new behaviors it is better to have one person teach those behaviors till they become "trained" then pass them off to others. Sure you can do it with multiple people, it just causes some confusion and usually it takes longer. I think everyone could agree on that.

surely there are other things about these "trainers" that can be ridiculed other than the fact they don't allow young kids at training?
Old 12-21-2010, 06:38 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
OK, i think these "trainers" are a bit off, but does not allowing kids really warrant this much "discussion"
Yes actually, for me it does. I have a TDI certified dog who can no longer do the school visits he's been doing without incident, and educate kids (in an area that desperately needs it) because a new principal came in and decided that kids and dogs don't need to mix. I can come give a presentation "without" the dog. Like 1st graders are going to get much out of that.
We have also encountered tremendous resistance to reading with dogs programs and therapy programs for autistic kids. All again because people in this community are under the impression that for whatever reason a dog is not to be trusted around kids.

Quote:
I can think of quite a few reasons not to allow kids. For one, it can be a liability, they may not want the distraction and believe it or not, some people really enjoy NOT having kids around at every event.
I can think of a bunch more reasons TO allow kids than to NOT allow kids. I'm sure it IS a liablility to have a 7 year old collar pop or alpha roll a dog. I guess I ought to give this trainer kudos for at least realizing that. I don't buy the distraction thing though. Isn't that kind of the point of a group class? To proof what you have taught under distractions? Not to mention the wonderful opportunity to socialize your dog to kids in a controlled setting.
Quote:
but most importantly, when training a dog new behaviors it is better to have one person teach those behaviors till they become "trained" then pass them off to others. Sure you can do it with multiple people, it just causes some confusion and usually it takes longer. I think everyone could agree on that.
But that's the thing - kids *can* be that someone who does the initial training. And why shouldn't they be? Dogs who get sent off to be trained by professionals don't usually turn out any better than those trained by non-pros who learned right along with the dog.

Quote:
surely there are other things about these "trainers" that can be ridiculed other than the fact they don't allow young kids at training?
Oh, there's no shortage of fun stuff to ridicule, but the kids thing is what bugged me personally the most.