Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 12-21-2010, 02:05 PM
Top Dog

Yup. Exactly Mandypug...whatdya know...just like the op's. Fishy. They're a dime a dozen, these kinds of quick fix, magical training videos that come with a guarantee. Sorry Susan for being so nasty. But we get these things posted from time to time with the same sort of results, the same gut feelings, the same discoveries in the end. Gotta listen to the good ole gut feeling you know. But feel free to post in your words your step by step method in as much detail as you can. I'd be interested.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-21-2010, 02:09 PM
Top Dog

JCM should hire a better proofreader. "Dog's" ? Really? English teachers are crying everywhere.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:15 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post

JCM should hire a better proofreader. "Dog's" ? Really? English teachers are crying everywhere.
I'm not an English teacher, but I'm weeping.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-21-2010, 02:15 PM
Top Dog

From the JCM website:
Quote:
The following items will not be permitted for use in the class:

Leashes that are too short, too wide or too narrow for the dog being trained
Choke chains that are too large or too long for the dog being trained
Pinch collars that are too heavy for the intended dog
Nylon leashes and nylon or buckle collars
Can someone please explain this to me? I'm sure there is a perfectly logical reason why I can't train in a nylon collar... Perhaps Ms. Manino is allergic to nylon? Bless her heart, that must be a hardship in this industry....
Old 12-21-2010, 02:19 PM
Top Dog

Don't you get it? Nylon collars don't tend to cause enough pinching or strangulation. Leashes that are too wide or too narrow....hmmm, can't come up with anything there. I guess a too narrow leash might break or a too wide one might be too visible and then the dog will not be surprised enough when he gets yanked. Gotta have that shock value, ya know....

Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-21-2010, 02:21 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danefied View Post
From the JCM website:

Can someone please explain this to me? I'm sure there is a perfectly logical reason why I can't train in a nylon collar... Perhaps Ms. Manino is allergic to nylon? Bless her heart, that must be a hardship in this industry....
I think it goes along with:
Quote:
Any student who implements someone else's training techniques or method while attending our classes will not be allowed to continue in our program.

Any student who feels the need to contradict our training method, verbally or otherwise, during class will be asked to leave immediately.
When you're pushing outdated and abusive training methods, you don't want your clients to witness a dog being trained in a nylon collar. They might take their money elsewhere.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 12-21-2010, 02:25 PM
Top Dog

Any student who implements someone else's training techniques or method while attending our classes will not be allowed to continue in our program.

Any student who feels the need to contradict our training method, verbally or otherwise, during class will be asked to leave immediately.

There ya have it...the same philosophy used on their dogs. Don't try it or else! Don't throw new behaviors or ask questions. Don't get out of line in any way, or you're finished! Shut down....learned helplessness all the way.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-21-2010, 02:47 PM
Top Dog

Ah thank you Doberluv and Corgipower! I feel so enlightened now.

See, I've been going about this dog training thing all wrong. According to this clearly superior trainer, my children should not be allowed to train their dogs:
Quote:
Because dog training takes concentration and commitment on the part of the owner, we ask that no child under the age of twelve (12) participate. Younger children must stay in the vehicle while on the training grounds.
Not to mention I don't have a safe crate to contain my under-12 children in while in the car - oh and those pesky child services people kind of frown on unattended children in cars for extended periods too...

This sort of thing must be a fluke I'm sure:

Yeah, yeah, I outed myself, its ouesi

Last edited by Danefied; 12-21-2010 at 03:16 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:06 PM
Top Dog

Great photos! Yeah, lock your under 12 yr old in the car. Nice.

Sheesh! I trained my first dog when I was about 9 years old. He learned to sit, stay, heel, come, down, fetch, go get me a carrot out of the vegetable garden for the horse. He went riding with me next to the horse I trained, also when I was pretty young. Horses are more dangerous than most dogs. I'm all for supervision but to lock a kid up in a car? Wow! More abuse. That little guy in the photos is obviously wonderful with his dog and just look how the dog is lovin' every minute. I'd wager that most kids would have more patience than a lot of adults with their dogs, more understanding. A lot of trainers (like this one sounds) take training wa-y-y-y-y too seriously. For me, it's always been about having fun.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-21-2010, 03:21 PM
Just try me..

yes keep children away from dogs!!

They might start running dogs competitively at 7 YouTube - Dundreggen's Channel (at home practice, no luring, no fencing, intact male JRT), its a short step from agility to drugs and delinquency.

And watch out. Next thing you know they will want their own dog and be all responsible and stuff!

Oh the horrors, a young child training his own rescue BC!! Better lock him up and keep them separate.

(really how sad would that be?)