Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 12-21-2010, 02:40 AM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Default Anyone ever heard of this?

So, here at Chaz obviously we've all talked about a million different training methods. I'm going to add another one.
Any book about dog training I can get my hands on I read, whether it's something I would use for my dogs or not. My grandma knows I love anything to do with dogs and a month or so ago she picked up a mini-book written by the trainer of the dog who played The Littlest Hobo. I lost it (>.<) but I read about a method to stop your dog from running away when it's off leash.
It said if the dog runs away to grab your dog on the sides of the head, kneel to its eye level, look it in the eyes and stay like that for 15- 20 minutes, not letting it move.

I was thoroughly confused by this. There are some training methods I don't like or understand (such as Leerburg's), but at least they have some sort of logic to them, ass-backwards as it may be. This, though, I couldn't make heads or tails of. Obviously it's not very comfortable for the dog, so it could be a correction, but that's the only thing that reminds me of anything else I've heard of.

Thoughts?
Old 12-21-2010, 02:46 AM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Maybe it's an attempt to hypnotize the dog?

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 12-21-2010, 07:23 AM
Top Dog

i have no idea about the grabbing of the head, but have you actually been on the Leerburg site, or just repeat what you've heard?

He doesn't have a "leerburg" method, he puts out info and what he finds to be useful. In case you haven't noticed, there is more free stuff and videos streaming on excellent dog training methods than you'll probably find on any other site on the net
Old 12-21-2010, 10:27 AM
Love My Mutt <3

Who the heck whats to stay like that for 15-20 minutes?! And I get the point... you are making direct eye contact with the dog, thereby intimidating.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 12-21-2010, 11:04 AM
Top Dog

I wouldn't agree with doing that. Like Jess says, it's intimidating. Dogs would feel uncomfortable with that. It's punishment. Punishment of any kind should never be associated with a recall. And besides, 15 - 20 minutes is ridiculous. The dog would have lost any possible connection (if there were ever a connection, which is highly unlikely) after about 1/2 a minute. How is that going to make the dog EVER want to come to you again? The dog's coming to you and not running off should always be a rewardable experience, not an intimidating or unpleasant one. And to provide many instances of a rewardable experience, (which is what trains the dog) the dog should be set up to not fail...prevented from running off in the first place. He should not be cued to come until he is sure to come, but instead set up so he will come...long line, waiting for him to come on his own, practice in a non-distracting environment so you're likely to be the motivator, not something else in the surroundings and then reinforcing him heavily when he does come.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-21-2010, 11:23 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I can just picture walking through the park and seeing someone on the ground with their dogs head between their hands staring at it....after not seeing them move for a few minutes you ask what they are doing and they say, "My dog wouldn't come, so I'm staring at him for half an hour."

O.o ROFL

Yes, that makes sense.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:38 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
I can just picture walking through the park and seeing someone on the ground with their dogs head between their hands staring at it....after not seeing them move for a few minutes you ask what they are doing and they say, "My dog wouldn't come, so I'm staring at him for half an hour."

O.o ROFL

Yes, that makes sense.
LOL. It might look like the person is trying mental telepathy with his dog. "I'm sending messages via air waves." Oy...the "logic" is astounding.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-21-2010, 12:47 PM
Active Pup

Default Dogs that don't come when called

I purchased a video called "dogs that don't come when called." It worked in about 5 minutes. I didn't have to use the e-collar, long rope, or food. In fact, I didn't have to put anything special on the dog. The technique was very easy, but it's hard to explain it. The step by step instructions were clear, and easy to follow. The best thing about it was that it really did work.
I didn't have to stare my dog in the face for 20 minutes, either. That's funny, and kinda stupid.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:01 PM
Sport Model Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan03 View Post
I purchased a video called "dogs that don't come when called." It worked in about 5 minutes. I didn't have to use the e-collar, long rope, or food. In fact, I didn't have to put anything special on the dog. The technique was very easy, but it's hard to explain it. The step by step instructions were clear, and easy to follow. The best thing about it was that it really did work.
I didn't have to stare my dog in the face for 20 minutes, either. That's funny, and kinda stupid.
Gotta love more

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 12-21-2010, 01:12 PM
Top Dog

Gotta love people who deny the existence of things like gravity. No reward, no punishment and Viola`! All the laws of the science of behavior go poof. Everything proven and demonstrated for eons suddenly no longer is real. I wonder what people like this are smoking. Sounds fun though!

Thomas Jefferson