Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 12-20-2010, 07:13 PM
PSD Partner

Sheena's ultimate extra is a raw frozen deer bone. She will go nuts for it. And the added benifit is how shiny her teeth are when she is done.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:01 AM
just call me Nilly

Um... anything that isn't toxic?

If I've made something yummy and feel like sharing, she gets a little bit in her bowl. The majority of her diet is pre-made raw, but I also give her chicken backs, turkey necks, lamb neck bones, pork neck bones, etc. She gets a beef marrow bone about once a week, just for fun. When I do give her kibble, it's never plain. It either has a bit of canned food in it, or it has a bit of leftovers (so long as it's nothing toxic) mixed in.

She gets a pretty varied diet.

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010
Old 12-21-2010, 04:13 PM
and Fozzie B!

I feed Fozz Blue Wilderness Salmon (or Nature's Variety Instinct Salmon or Rabbit) about half the time. Because kibble is so calorie dense and fattens him up, I add some Evo 95% meat canned food, cottage cheese, yogurt, plain cooked meats, pulverized veggies, goats milk, raw egg, dried sweet potatoes, or anything else that is healthy that I have around. He eats raw meaty bones or pre-made raw for the other half of his meals. It's a nice balance between convenience and keeping him at a good weight. He GAINS WEIGHT on even a miniscule amount of kibble, if he's eating it for every meal, and he loses energy because I'm feeding him so little.

Gonzo used to get all of that, but he's on a home-cooked diet since his bout of sickness. He eats plain chicken or turkey, sweet potato, egg, and a couple of tablespoons of a veggie puree, with a multi-vitamin and bone meal.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 12-22-2010, 03:31 PM
Top Dog

Besides Orijen kibble, Jackson eats pre-made raw a few times a week (Primal or Stella & Chewy's). Whenever I eat eggs, I always make him some for him too. He gets food brought home like steak, chicken, etc, whenever I go out to dinner, I bring him home a 'doggy bag'. Oh, and he gets wet/dry mixed for dinner every night so different wet food.

Brit & Jackson

Old 12-22-2010, 11:52 PM
Active Pup

I have some leftover food properly, it has an extra special treatment. When I buy fish, I always ask the head. Depending on the type of fish od we share all or go to her. I do not think I'll give him fish bones, but I'll make a vegetable soup and add to them. She eats cheese, stale bread soaked in fish (or chicken) broth.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:34 AM
Bite Club

I add a couple of tablespoons of canned pure pumpkin or plain nonfat yogurt to Riley's meals. He also loves Rollover treats and I put peanut butter in his kong

~Aura & Riley~
Old 12-23-2010, 05:17 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicksMom View Post
Thank you for the heads up! It's somewhat questionable with the garlic. Onions are toxic to dogs and cats, and garlic is in the same family. The information I've gotten is that garlic is OK as long as you feed huge amounts of it.

ETA- I totally forgot to say that the main part of Caleb's meals is dry food (Natural Balance LIDs)
There are actually garlic supplements made for dogs. As far as I know, it's toxic in large quantities, but in small amounts, it can help as an insect/tick repellent. We got "bug-off" garlic for Boo in the summer and apart from her not liking the smell too much, she had no problems. This being said, we never gave her more than the allotted "dose."

My Hiking Blog: http://thehikinghokie.blogspot.com/