Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 12-20-2010, 04:57 PM
Top Dog

Default What "extras" do you give your dog?

What "extras" do you give your dog? Like things they get besides their regular meals? Or, if you do homecooking/raw, what do you include?

I'm looking for more things to mix the dogs diets up a bit. Missy gets Fromm kibble, and Jack gets Fromm kibble with canned food (he won't eat kibble plain). They get pre-made raw a couple times a week, and a raw egg once a week. They get a filled Kong every morning when I leave for class - normally filled with dog treats (Zukes, Buddy Biscuits, freeze dried stuff, etc).

Just hoping to get some other ideas!
Old 12-20-2010, 05:25 PM
Wookie Collie

Finn eats a good kibble as his main diet.

In the winter, I give him a raw egg twice a week for his skin, it tends to get dry. I also give him raw turkey necks a few times a week, as he loves them. I sometimes give him chicken wings, backs, hearts/gizzards, whatever's in the freezer that I get on sale at the supermarket.

Every so often, he gets a special treat of one of those "beef cuts in gravy" canned foods mixed in with his kibble. I figure we're all entitled to a little junk food every so often, especially when you're as active as a Finnegan! Also, there's a Finnegan on the can. I can't resist.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 12-20-2010, 05:26 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Umm.. whatever she wants? LOL

The ferrets are on a raw diet, so she will get some of whatever they are having that day.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 12-20-2010, 05:27 PM
We are Home.

scraps that dont give them gas lol.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 12-20-2010, 05:35 PM
Top Dog

On a regular basis, Caleb gets a can of sardines (Wednesdays) and a raw egg (Saturdays) in his breakfast. He also gets some garlic when I'm making something with it, the egg shells when I bake or make eggs and fruit and veggies.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:38 PM
Clicker Extremist

Main meal is kibble. She also gets chopped hard boiled eggs, canned salmon, and olive oil on a rotating basis every other day. She tends to have dry skin, typical lab issue, and those help.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:00 PM
BusterLove

Our lot are mainly on raw, they occasionally get kibble so I'll mix in eggs or yoghurt or tinned fish.

I work in a restaurant and bring home leftovers. Its amazing how much people don't eat so I collect all the decent meat scraps. Anything I can use I will cut into tiny treats for training, everything else gets cut into chunks for "Quinn's Breakfast Bucket" and mixed up with rice and vegies.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:26 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicksMom View Post
On a regular basis, Caleb gets a can of sardines (Wednesdays) and a raw egg (Saturdays) in his breakfast. He also gets some garlic when I'm making something with it, the egg shells when I bake or make eggs and fruit and veggies.
FWIW, apparently garlic contains a toxin for dogs. That's what I've read but I've never heard of a dog get sick from garlic either.

Roman gets table scraps, eggs and my dad gives him a scoop of ice cream 6 times a week or something.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:53 PM
overdogged

eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese, leftovers
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 12-20-2010, 07:11 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandra View Post
FWIW, apparently garlic contains a toxin for dogs. That's what I've read but I've never heard of a dog get sick from garlic either...
Thank you for the heads up! It's somewhat questionable with the garlic. Onions are toxis to dogs and cats, and garlic is in the same family. The information I've gotten is that garlic is OK as long as you feed huge amounts of it.

ETA- I totally forgot to say that the main part of Caleb's meals is dry food (Natural Balance LIDs)