Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 12-18-2010, 09:52 PM
Backward_Cinderella

Default Oh god. Help?

Doom has NEVER had a problem like this before, Bobsie has always been mildly reactive, more from curiosity than anything, I think, but I never put her in situations where its an issue.

Tonight when I was walking them around the apartment complex a guy came walking up with his little Yorkie mix type dog... I'm not sure exactly what it was, it was pretty dark. Doom started growling so I said "Leave it" and tightened my grip on his leash. He stopped growling for a second, sniffed the air and threw himself backward out of his collar. Totally slipped it and darted after the guy and the dog. I tried to chase after him (with Winnie strapped to my chest, mind you, ugh!) saying "Doom, sit! Leave it!" the whole time, finally the fourth time I said it he sat down, but kept growling. I put his collar back on him, told him to lay down (which he did, STILL growling and completely intent on the little dog in the guy's arms), and started apologizing profusely for my dog's behavior. Luckily he laughed it off and said it wasn't a big deal, and dogs always seem to react like that to Riley (His dog's name).

I'm worried this is going to become a habit and I really and honestly don't know what to do about it. With Bobsie we just keep her leashed and away from other dogs (she likes to get in their faces and it causes problems a lot of the time. Not every dog likes another dog in their face wagging and barking). They both know they're in trouble and they're laying by the balcony door and pouting.

Advice on what to do about Doom? That was the most random bout of reactivity I've ever seen. Usually he grumbles and leaves things alone. I don't know what to do, especially if we run across Riley again, and I'm sure we will, because we live in the same apartments.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:27 PM
Backward_Cinderella

Bump?
Old 12-19-2010, 04:36 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

For one, with it being dark, he may not have been able to identify what he was chasing very well. As hard as it is, try not to tighten up on the leash. That only makes the dog feed on your nervousness.

Also, if it's a common reaction that the other dog gets, I suspect Riley is giving off some sort of signals that trigger it.

I would suggest reading Click to Calm by Emma Parsons.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 12-19-2010, 05:13 PM
*Now with Snark*

It's nice that you got a warning that there is a issue.

First off the throwing himself out of his collar nonsense has got to be a non concern. Either get a backup collar like a choke chain 2 sizes too big to clip onto your leash with your normal collar or switch to something like a martingale.

My lab is slightly reactive with male dogs and SUPER reactive with other girls. For her I've been working on a competition heel which will keep her eyes glued on me. This works wonders for moving past something that I know gets a reaction from her so we can work without correction.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:03 PM
Just try me..

The owner said "dogs always seem to react like that to Riley". There are some dogs that just seem to give out an off vibe. This may indeed by the only dog Doom things is growl worthy.

I would take precautions, like a martingale collar. But try to stay relaxed around other dogs, he might never do this again.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:30 PM
BillG

DEKKA
I would take precautions, like a martingale collar.

What a Troll. A martingale collar. Fracture the dogs windpipe, why don't you. Cruel, Cruel TROLL.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:47 PM
Clicker Extremist

Premier Dog Collar, Martingale Collars, Dog Training Collars and Leads

For BillG, the supposed "certified animal behaviorist" who apparently does not know what a martingale collar is or how it works
Old 12-20-2010, 03:57 PM
Just try me..

but hey he wants to keep playing!

And I also never said I was completely anti prong, just anti prong unless there is a **** good reason for one. (not I am too lazy to train my dog and want this tool to train it for me)
Old 12-20-2010, 04:05 PM
Clicker Extremist

These are awesome

LarzPetGear.com - Dog Leashes, Collars and Harnesses. - Home
Old 12-20-2010, 04:35 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillG View Post
DEKKA
I would take precautions, like a martingale collar.

What a Troll. A martingale collar. Fracture the dogs windpipe, why don't you. Cruel, Cruel TROLL.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team