Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 12-16-2010, 11:14 AM
Sport Model Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Anyways, I been doing it wrong. I refuse to use prongs and chokes on toy sized dogs.
Toy dog failures... I seem to be doing it wrong too.

I'm actually appalled that they even offer prongs for dogs less than 50lbs, especially toy dogs...

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 12-16-2010, 11:17 AM
I'm All Ears

Yay collapsing trachea!

I also don't understand this:

Quote:
Affectionate love is a human trait, not a canine trait. Affection does not make dogs happy. Satisfying their instincts make them happy.
Quote:
At the end of our program your dog will not hate or fear you, he will respect and understand you. We use praise instead of treats or clickers. We explain to owners how verbal and physical reward means more to the dog than being bribed by the "human food dispenser.
Anyone else seeing a problem?
Old 12-16-2010, 11:24 AM
Sport Model Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Anyone else seeing a problem?
So.... Eating isn't an instinctive behaviour? And a pat on the head is?

The Proudest Pug
Old 12-16-2010, 11:27 AM
Active Pup

You ask for proof about JCM's Dog Training School. I went to the website Professional Dog Training and Pet Boarding and clicked on the heading "About the Trainer." Not the sub headings under that.

Not only does this woman have multiple OTCH dogs, but she has titled numerous students dogs. The lady has been professionally training since 1979. One of her dogs has 100 High in Trials. Just last year her new dog got another Dog World Award. As far as movies, her dogs were in "Primary Colors" and featured in "Growing Pains," with way too many more to mention here. She trains Service Dogs, too.
She is also a published author in the Louisiana Film and Video Magazine pertaining to pets in the film industry.
She is highly recommended by the Vets, but most of her business is through word of mouth. She has 4 huge group classes and 3 group locations. You have to be on a waiting list just to get in.

This woman has forgotten more than you will ever know, and when the novelty of playing trainer wears off, she'll still be out there providing a valuable service. From what she says, you food people are the ones torturing your dogs, and you don't even know it. Your dog is the one that suffers.

If it makes you feel better to put down someone so obviously passionate about dog training, shame on you.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:33 AM
Sport Model Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald View Post
You ask for proof about JCM's Dog Training School. I went to the website Professional Dog Training and Pet Boarding and clicked on the heading "About the Trainer." Not the sub headings under that.

Not only does this woman have multiple OTCH dogs, but she has titled numerous students dogs. The lady has been professionally training since 1979. One of her dogs has 100 High in Trials. Just last year her new dog got another Dog World Award. As far as movies, her dogs were in "Primary Colors" and featured in "Growing Pains," with way too many more to mention here. She trains Service Dogs, too.
She is also a published author in the Louisiana Film and Video Magazine pertaining to pets in the film industry.
She is highly recommended by the Vets, but most of her business is through word of mouth. She has 4 huge group classes and 3 group locations. You have to be on a waiting list just to get in.

This woman has forgotten more than you will ever know, and when the novelty of playing trainer wears off, she'll still be out there providing a valuable service. From what she says, you food people are the ones torturing your dogs, and you don't even know it. Your dog is the one that suffers.

If it makes you feel better to put down someone so obviously passionate about dog training, shame on you.
She (you) clearly knows nothing about breeds of dogs and their issues or she would NEVER use a prong or choke on a toy breed. You shouldn't even use collar pops at all no matter what collar they're wearing on a toy breed. A Collapsed Trachea is far too easy to cause with any collar corrections, especially using chokes or prongs. If you really insist on using leash corrections at all the toy breed should be on a harness that's low riding enough that it doesn't touch the trachea.

Also she (you) doesn't seem to realize that there are a TON of breeds out there that are just sensitive dogs. Leash pops and harsh corrections are just going to shut them down. Leash pop a pug once and that dog will be shut down and not trust you one bit for a very very long time.

The Proudest Pug
Old 12-16-2010, 11:34 AM
overdogged

Quote:
The lady has been professionally training since 1979.
unfortunately it sounds like she's still training like it's 1979 :-/
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 12-16-2010, 11:42 AM
Sport Model Pug

Also...
Quote:
Anyone wishing to enroll with a large, older dog who has had minimum to no training, must be aware that such a dog is subject to extreme outbursts and tantrums. Thrashing and refusing to cooperate during training can, on occasion, lead to bloodshot eyes. This condition will subside within a few days. JCM's reserves the right not to take a dog that, in their professional opinion, may incur this condition, and cause distress to the owner.
Umm... What the hell is happening to these dogs that their eyes are going bloodshot and the dogs are being made to thrash about? Are you trying to cause harm to the dog? I've never seen such a broad untrue generalization in my life.

The Proudest Pug
Old 12-16-2010, 12:25 PM
Just try me..

Quote:
See the post above this one... No SHAME on anyone that uses abuse and calls it training.

(I am still giggling about that idea that food trained dogs only see their humans as treat dispensers but if you choke your dog it will be so much happier.. oh my talk about stuck in the dark ages )
Old 12-16-2010, 12:30 PM
I'm All Ears

Why aren't her OTCh listed? All I see with actual proof is a CD title. I would think she'd at least list her OTChs and their scores, etc.

Not saying it's not true, but it's odd.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:45 PM
Just try me..

Yes can anyone with access to AKC records check to see if she does have any otches?