Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 12-13-2010, 09:27 PM
Top Dog

Default Have you ever tasted dog food/treats?

Now is the time to admit it

I'm a weirdo in that I have to taste EVERYTHING I give my dogs. So, it would take forever to give every example, but I'll give a few.

Blue Buffalo Chicken and Rice doesn't really have a taste. Pretty bland. Fish and Sweet Potato, however, is not very great

Treats vary. The cheap treats (Milkbones, Beggin Strips) smell good but taste like death warmed over.

Blue Dog Bakery tastes like bland cookies; not too bad. But there's this one type we have, I can't remember what it is, maybe Three Dog Bakery, that taste FANTASTIC. As in, I could sit there with a box of them and be satisfied

So...is anyone else as big a freak as me? Do share
Old 12-13-2010, 10:41 PM
Top Dog

I tasted a biscuit once on a dare. Don't remember what kind, Milk Bone or something cheap like that.

But I never did it again because of all the hair I found in it.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:57 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

I ate a dog biscuit once, and it was a Milk Bone. It tasted SO gritty. Ugh. I was like TWELVE though, lol.

I have had treats in my mouth before, but I can't say I've swallowed any of them, lol. Mostly to spit them at Enzo playing the "pay attention to my FACE, not my HANDS" game, lol.

Zukes are alright. Not terrible. I would rather put one of those in my mouth than chickenturkeyporkbeef dogs. I prefer to use grilled chicken for that game, but I find myself wanting to eat it, rather than spit it at her, lol.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:57 PM
BusterLove

When I was little I used to snack on dog and cat biscuits all the time, as did my big brother, little sister and my cousin. They were salty and yum, never did us any harm.

I don't now but thats probably mainly because I'm a vego and thy mainly eat raw. lol

Old 12-13-2010, 11:02 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

I've tasted many foods and treats.

When I train, I put treats in my mouth. I've ended up eating many of them too, accidentally.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 12-13-2010, 11:33 PM
just call me Nilly

I eat Barkery cookies pretty regularly, but they are hand baked and frosted with carob and yogurt. I only eat the ones I know are peanut butter or fruity flavoured. They're YUMMY!

I've never tried kibble, or meat based cookies. I did eat wet cat food on a dare once, smeared on a cracker. Gross.

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010
Old 12-13-2010, 11:49 PM
Top Dog

Supposely those Natural Balance roll treats are okay for people to eat too.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:22 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

I put a liver treat in my mouth once. Not with the intention of tasting it - we were trying to get Auggie to kiss me for a photo. NEVER AGAIN. I spat it out almost immediately. DISGUSTING. I don't train with liver treats anyway so it was a novel experience.
I've tasted other treats too, like others have said, it's a holding place for training treats, but the liver treat was... not something I'd like to repeat. Oh and there was another kind of treat I put in my mouth later in the photo session to try and get him to kiss me but that wasn't nearly as disgusting as the liver.

When I was younger I apparently shared a bowl of dog food with our collie (he was seriously the best dog ever.) but I don't remember it.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 12-14-2010, 10:51 AM
Top Dog

When my uncle was really poor he had two dogs, so he ate their food too, cans of Alpo

He also had a box of milk bones in his truck (this is when he had money again) that he would regulalry snack on, maybe just to freak us out when we were kids, I don't know.

But no, I have not.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 12-21-2010, 05:31 PM
and Fozzie B!

I'm a vegetarian! So I don't make a habit of it. It would definitely make me sick.

I have tried these little freeze dried ice cream treats.... they were pretty yummy. I once ate a spoonful of canned green tripe, because my sister dared me to and said she would give me $20. MOST. HORRIBLE. TASTE. IMAGINABLE. And she never gave me $20! I now know what a portopotty tastes like. I couldn't mouthwash the taste out all day.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie