Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 12-09-2010, 01:19 AM
Top Dog

Default Persimmon dangerous/toxic to dogs?

I left the skin of a persimmon plus one seed in a paper towel on the chair of my piano because I was going to take it downstairs to throw away. However, I forgot and went out. When I got back the seed and skin was gone but the bottom of the persimmon is still here.

I quickly googled it and it says persimmon is probably not dangerous but the seed can cause blockages and is toxic?

Should I be worried? I'm not sure if she ate the seed whole or chewed it up. Is it going to make her sick or cause a blockage?

I suspect most likely it will be ok but what do you guys think?
Old 12-09-2010, 01:26 AM
Top Dog

I'd probably make her vomit just in case...it may be too late for vomiting to to any good, but it's worth a try :/ I don't know if the seeds are toxic or not. You might also try calling the animal poison control (sorry don't know the number off hand)
Old 12-09-2010, 01:32 AM
Top Dog

I don't think I want to try to make her vomit since it was just the skin plus one seed. It's not like she ate a lot of it. Most sources I see just says it's toxic to horses.

I just searched its effect on dogs and all websites say
"Seeds can cause intestinal obstruction and enteritis."

I somehow don't think she swallowed the seed whole because she's a very thorough chewer but I think she'll be ok. Hopefully she won't have diarrhea or any blockage problems.