Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 10-15-2004, 03:42 PM
Active Pup

Default Messy eater

My german sheperd is so messy when he eats. He grabs a mouth full of food and carries it all around the house dropping pieces as he walks. It is very annoying. We step on pieces of food not to mention the fact that i have to vaccum at least twice a day. If anybody has any advice it would be very appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
babygirl
Old 10-15-2004, 04:19 PM
Top Dog

some dogs are just like that. I would suggest to just watch him and pick up what he's dropped. I used this dog food with my Westie. Can't even remember the brand but it had little bone forms in it and she would NOT eat them. She'd take a mouthful and spit the bone figures out, so I had a bunch of them all over the kitchen. LOL Luckily for me, however, Sadie, would go around and vaccuum them up.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:39 PM
Felurian

Try feeding him in a confined area so he can't wander around and picnic.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 10-16-2004, 04:00 AM

Hammie eats the same way, so now he is only allowed to eat on the back porch. My favorite...take a big bite then carry it to the carpet to smoosh around!! When he was a little puppy, I'd also have food all over the kitchen. For some reason (probably cause there isn't any carpeting) he isn't very messy on the porch.........also, he's too concerned with coming back in the house.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:09 PM
Top Dog

Lately Brady has been bringing it by the mouthful into the living room and dropping it in the floor and just looking at it. Yep, that's my boy, he often leaves me wondering
Old 10-19-2004, 10:24 PM
Felurian

You know Brady stays up late, thinking up new ways to confound you. He needs another hobby!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 10-20-2004, 11:05 AM
Top Dog

I know! I need to take him to do the basic obedience training so that I can get him into agility or something like that. Or if they have some sort of class where he can sniff out stuff, he really likes to sniff things-me, the ground, Matt, the cat....it is like he is trying to figure out where we have been. He ALWAYS sniffs my pant legs when I come home, even if I am just coming home from work or the gym. Silly dog. but I looked into those agility classes and of course they have to know how to stay and all that, well Brady can sit and lie down and give me a kiss, but that is about it. I have tried stay, but he seems to get agitated with having to stay somewhere when I walk off. He is a momma's boy.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:48 AM
Big Dog

Mine did that also and when she wasn't hungry she would try and burry it under the carpet or in the sides of the couch(she's not allowed to jump on the couch though so she doesn't do that anymore)...so i just feed her outside.i guess she's not that comfortable with her bowl or something.
"Dogs have given us their absolute all. We are the center of their universe. We are the focus of their love and faith and trust. They serve us in return for scraps. It is without a doubt the best deal man has ever made." ~Roger Caras
Prita's slideshow
Old 01-11-2005, 09:42 PM
DILLIGAF?

I think it just comes with instinct they are just hiding it for protecton or for later use.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:15 PM
Top Dog

maybe feeding your dog inside the crate or a play pen.