Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 10-22-2004, 12:11 PM
Big Dog

Good idea, i'll try that tonight Renee, we've got some running around to do as well which he is not aloud to join us becuase it's my mothers car lol. So i'll try the cave technique, nevereven thougt about it
Old 10-23-2004, 02:29 AM
Big Dog

EUREKA!!!!
I just left to go pick up steve from work and put Apollo in his newly covered cage (I used an old baby blanket but was too small only covered one side nad half the top so i used body pillows to shade in the rest and when i came home, an hour later, he was sound asleep!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH RENEE!!!!
Old 10-23-2004, 08:35 AM
Felurian

I am so glad to hear that worked! Sometimes the answer's so simple that we overlook it.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 10-23-2004, 01:11 PM
Big Dog

^Couldn't have said it better, wow, it feels as if the weight of the world is off my shoulders it was such a relief to come back and see him sprawled out on his side with his head hanging over his bed upside down. and as soon as my foot hit the bottom stairs he jumped RIGHt up and to life and THen started whining in which i just walked away and not even a moment later he stopped and didn't do it again and when i went back out to let him out and say "hello" he was laying down again, wow... I can't thank all of you guys enough for the help and ideas you all gave me
Old 10-23-2004, 03:46 PM
Are you dead yet?

Oh I am soooo glad he's doing better. Renee is right sometimes it is the simple things that work the best, and in all the confusion those are the things that get overlooked.
Congrats to Apollo on sleeping nicely in the crate and congrats to you on your new 'freedom'.
Old 10-23-2004, 10:14 PM
Big Dog

^Scratch that, didn't turn out as pleasantly as I thought.... We figured if we moved the crate into a familiar room, (Our bedroom which he's in all the time) then he would recognize it, and realise that he was still in his special room. But he didn't, he whined, and now he's managed to bark THROUGH the muzzle, which was guaranteed to prevent barking. Mom's still furious, and my blood pressure just took a super boost upwards. I may just have to consider the worst thing of all - Giving him away
Old 10-24-2004, 07:47 AM
Andy

yes i know how u feel. i have the same EXACT problems you do with Roxy. she just doesnt know i am trying to be responsible and train her. my mom gave in and on thanksgiving my aunt is coming down from CT to pick up roxy. my aunt and cousin has had experience with dogs so we must give her to them. i will be very very sad, crying everyday, crying myself to sleep. its just really hard when someone gives away youre BEST friend just because she is only a puppy and doesnt know better. nobody is perfect, so why must puppies be perfect? she is my only true friend right now, due to me not getting along with people. i love animals and i just dont get along with people. i dont know why, thats why i wanted a companion. so i really know what you mean, it will be hard to give her up but that does not mean you can just try. continue to try and never give up. maybe your dog will finally realize that youre are trying to be responsible.
Old 10-24-2004, 03:59 PM
Felurian

Go back to putting the crate in the room it was in when he had the breakthrough and didn't go nuts after you covered it. That may be where he wants to stay when he's in his crate. Apollo sounds like he doesn't adapt to quick changes, so go back to what worked and give it another start. Good luck!

Crazydog, maybe your Aunt would help you pick out an adult dog at a shelter? That way you can avoid some of the problems you're facing with Roxy and it will give you a chance to have a companion and not drive your Mom crazy in the process. Or you might even consider adopting a house cat. They can be as loving companions as dogs, and they're quiet (well, mostly - I've had a few talkers - lol).

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 10-24-2004, 08:58 PM
Big Dog

Crazydog, That was exactly the reason that I adopted apollo. i don't get along well with the people here, alot of the people MY age act as if they control the city and i just find it a little bit to overwhelming and a little bit disgusting. So i only have my fiance as my friend as well as Apollo. We also adopted him becuase we wanted to take on something new and exciting as well as have the loyalty and trust of a big furry friend

Renee - I will put him back in the other room tonight. Don't know why he's so fond of it, i thought maybe if we put it in a room that he's in all the time he might feel calmer, i guess not though. We are covering him with a blanket that we used during the summer a light blanket so it doesn't smother him with heat that has our scent on it (I figured that might be a half decent idea) We didn't normally let him sleep in the crate before, but we did last night sort of as a way of saying "It's your crate, you need to learn to like it, it's not going to kill you" and so forth. It's a rather large crate, i made a boo boo and bought one nearly 2 sizes too big, but atleast he has alot of space to move around in. I'm beginning to wonder if he likes the room the crate was origionally in because every dog 'ive ever had has gone to the bathroom there at least once or twice and in apollo's case 20 times. He must be attracted to the smell? Well i'll give it a try, it's almost coming time for the Obedience school thing, Will the obedience school actually work? what does it do for him again? i forget :S
Old 10-26-2004, 08:57 AM
Big Dog

My Super Special Miracle Cure - A Dino Bone hahahahha
Cost us quite a pretty penny for this huge freaking bone that is so heavy im not even sure apollo could lift it. But i figured it's a last chance before meds which i also got a priceon from the vets. I figured since he doesn't like toys, hates his kong, and will only chew beef flavored products i should buy him a bone that will not be destroyed so easily. So i bought the Dino Bone!!! I swear, the knots are bigger than his head and the girth of the bone itself is thicker than my wrist. It's hidden away right now as it will be when we come home. It's his special going away toy, something that he truly loves.
He even tried to bite through the packaging to get it opened. WIsh me luck! Today is our first test