Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 10-19-2004, 01:00 AM
Are you dead yet?

LOL yes, whining.. Try getting him nice and tired out before you crate him, and have a nice soft bed for him in there that you don't mind him shredding to bits. (So, old towels or old clothes.)

Some information on the flower remedies:
http://store.yahoo.com/herbal-remedi...flowremfo.html
Old 10-19-2004, 04:28 AM
Active Pup

Default Dog pheremones

I havent tried this but my daughter is a veterinary nurse and in the kennels they use a plug in thing which gives off dog pheremones. She says it really works and calms down the anxious dogs. I have seen the plug in and also a spray advertised on-line. You could spray your dog's crate before leaving him. Has anyone else tried the pheremone spray? Good luck. x
Old 10-19-2004, 08:50 AM
Felurian

Apollonaro, it sounds like you've got the right idea about homecoming festivities. Keep up the good work; it'll pay off.

I've not heard about the pheromones. It makes sense, but I would be wary of anything that plugs into the wall outlet and contains any kind of oil. Fire hazard. Those plug in scent thingys give me the willies! All it takes for a tragedy is for the oil to get too hot once, and you've got the perfect accelerant for a big, hot fire.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 10-19-2004, 12:34 PM
Big Dog

Well, Another DISASTER.... We try and get him tired out, we take him outside and vigorously play with him, let him run around before bringnig him in. even when we're in a rush like we were this morning. and put him in there, we have to muzzle him becuase he barks, i've tried to leave him without it but it just...doesn't work. Mom's had enough, she's telling me to find him another home ive been crying constantly i hate this ****. I try and scold him when he does something bad and steve praises him it's like cross training and i've told him to cut it out. when we put the dog in this morning i said "No Noise apollo, NO NOISE" really sternly and said "Be a good boy, we'll be back but i don't want to hear ANY noise" And i guess he whiend the whole time, my mom hates to babysit him and he doesn't even stop whining when she's around. Steve nor i can leave the house without him going ballistic. we've spent nearly 300 dollars in stuff to try and calm him down, relax him, train him, coax him, nothng works!!!!!!!! I'm Super pissed off (pardon my language) at the Humane Society for not giving us a proper warning on the case, i would have looked for a dog more suitable without anxiety problems, and let someone else who DOESN"T have a life to stay home and watch him 24 hours a day. I have to go out, I have to have a job, I need friends at this age it's jut not working, nothing's working it won't stop.....Steve said i was using punishment before putting him in th ecrate, im not sure how a stern "no Noise" Is considered punishment. we're bound to him for a year becuase of the adoption... we can't legally sell him, and if i just have to give him away to a familiy member for like.... nothing in return, that's alot of money that disaspeared. I kick myself in the face for not taking the puppy.........
Old 10-19-2004, 04:37 PM
Are you dead yet?

Do you have neighbors close by that are home all day and are bothered by the whining? If not, leave him in there. He will stop as soon as you stop letting him out when he's whining, but it might take a couple of weeks for him to be consistent.

Keep trying.. You've only had the crate for a couple of days. NO dog will be crate trained in a couple of days. I know how you feel, it's discouraging, but just keep that in mind, that the crate is a training TOOL. It doesn't train the dog on its own.
Old 10-19-2004, 06:34 PM
Big Dog

It's not that, my mom's got anxiety disorders and it drives her up the wall, when we leave apollo squeals a high pitched squeal and no matter how much they pet him or talk to him he never stops and when they are alseep and he's in the crate, he still whines. Our walls are VERY thin and our neighbours hate us for reasons i do not know. The basement walls are concrete though, so sound doesn't go through them as easy and that's where the crate is

We did what you said today actually when i found out my mom wanted me to get rid of him and was insisting i did it as soon as possible i refused to let him out of the crate until he was quiet for atleast 10 minutes. It tok about 2 hours after we were home to get him to stop whining. WE dis-aknowledged the fact he was crying and went on ignoring it until he stopped. Was that the right thing to do?
Old 10-19-2004, 09:25 PM
Are you dead yet?

YES that is the right thing to do! As you can see, he DID stop. When he finally stops, (it takes a while but he will stop eventually) wait until he's quiet for 10 minutes or so and then let him out or give him a toy.

even if it is you storming in there to tell him to be quiet, squirting him with a spray bottle, etc.. He's getting what he wants : your attention. When you pay attention to him only when he is quiet, he will eventually make that connection.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:29 PM
Big Dog

I guess it was a mistake adopting a dog that was so much like me .... Stubborn!
I'm doing research as we speak about other possible ways to cure Anxiety. That is if this method fails to work, I am considering obedience classes although he listens to me quite well. I had to buy him a little "PULI" or whatever it's called so that he stopped yanking steve around, im then Alpha-Female That's one upside, it's just really hard with mom on my butt about it. I told her "You get rid of my dog for seperation anxiety and i'll get rid of your cats for causing me and steve's allergies to act up. It wouldn't be fun to lose your cats now would it" i know it ws sort of sossy and rude, but i felt like i needed to stand up and say something. U can't just take someone's best friend away i wanna work through this so at the end i can say "yes, i did it and im proud"
Old 10-19-2004, 11:06 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliBeans
LOL...I do that with Chili...those "nose to snout talks." When I leave for work I always say, "I'll be back, Mommy's going to work." I figure that if I repeat it enough she'll get used to the times when I have to leave for six to eight hours at the time. Most times when I talk to her I make a point to hold her at eye level and look right in her eyes.

LOL! I do the same thing. I say "Mommy's leaving" like 4 times, to both the cat and the dog. I give our cat a piece of ice to bat around and I give Brady a peanut butter treat to indulge on and then I am off.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:08 PM
Big Dog

I read about those "Nose to snout" talks, and what i read was that i should use a positive comment and give him a reason that he has to stay home. and say something that includes hsi name and the example was "Take care of the house apollo, okay?" and it's supposed to sound i guess like a mission so that the dogk nows he is in charge of waht happens at the house? I don't know, it seems to work, it worked last night anyhow.