Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

View Poll Results: What do you think of 'pibbles'
I think its great! 8 10.26%
Meh don't care 31 39.74%
I think its silly to try to call them something new 24 30.77%
chocolate covered raisins. 15 19.23%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-24-2010, 08:59 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
it's also a commonly used abbreviation of american pit bull terrier used by many many knowledgeable breed people, in the same way that lab is used to signify labrador retriever and westie is used because west highland white terrier is a mouthful.

sure it's used incorrectly and inaccurately by some groups. i don't see that as having anything to do with what the breed is or isn't. just because the teevee is calling a mastiff cross a pit bull doesn't make the pit bull not a pit bull.
And I've caught myself doing it, too, but I try to make sure I don't do it unless I'm around people who already know the difference

But, if I'm around people who do not know, I'm very careful to introduce Tallulah as an American Pit Bull Terrier, which often gives me a chance to do a little teaching and monster-myth dispelling

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-24-2010, 09:03 PM
Lord Cynical

Pibble sounds like dribble.... and I can't think of anything that dribbles as being attractive or positive.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 11-24-2010, 09:04 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
Pibble sounds like dribble.... and I can't think of anything that dribbles as being attractive or positive.
I think this is why I picture somebody slobbering on themselves when I hear it...

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 11-24-2010, 09:06 PM
Not a Border Collie

I don't own a pit, but I honestly couldn't care less. I do say it - actually, I type it when gushing over something cute or something, I don't use it in a RL conversation. Just an internet thing for me I suppose - like how I type "Chi" but always say "Chihuahua" in real life. I do say Dobe in real life though!

I do get why people can get offended though. Like I don't like it when people call Dally a heeler. Okay, it's a pretty common name for the breed, but when I think of "heeler" I think of all the ACD crosses I've seen called as just that (not "heeler cross" - just "heeler"). It seems like people use "heeler" as a type, not a nickname for the ACD. I never correct them (because they aren't wrong), and I don't want to seem like a snob, but my dog is an Australian Cattle Dog!

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 11-24-2010, 09:08 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
And I've caught myself doing it, too, but I try to make sure I don't do it unless I'm around people who already know the difference

But, if I'm around people who do not know, I'm very careful to introduce Tallulah as an American Pit Bull Terrier, which often gives me a chance to do a little teaching and monster-myth dispelling
i introduce my dogs as pit bulls. if people connect their friendly, fun-loving selves with the monster stories on tv, more's the better. if i can cause some cognitive dissonance- the dogs in front of them are not what they see on the television screen- i can make a big impression.

i'm not interested in playing a name game.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 11-24-2010, 09:16 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit Stay View Post
I don't own a pit, but I honestly couldn't care less. I do say it - actually, I type it when gushing over something cute or something, I don't use it in a RL conversation. Just an internet thing for me I suppose - like how I type "Chi" but always say "Chihuahua" in real life. I do say Dobe in real life though!

I do get why people can get offended though. Like I don't like it when people call Dally a heeler. Okay, it's a pretty common name for the breed, but when I think of "heeler" I think of all the ACD crosses I've seen called as just that (not "heeler cross" - just "heeler"). It seems like people use "heeler" as a type, not a nickname for the ACD. I never correct them (because they aren't wrong), and I don't want to seem like a snob, but my dog is an Australian Cattle Dog!
Really? That's so strange to me that you don't like it. I live in the deep South, and I'd never even heard the word Australian Cattle Dog until I came here to Chaz. The breed is either called a blue or red heeler down here. All the hardcore working breeders use the name, even.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:16 PM
Felurian

I think there is probably a big difference in perceptions in different regions of the U.S. It's a MUCH bigger deal down here in the south, especially in some regions, than it seems to be in other parts of the U.S.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-24-2010, 09:25 PM
Lord Cynical

We have "heelers" here too - red heelers, blue heelers. Yeah, they're ACDs but very few people call them that. It's weird.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 11-24-2010, 09:42 PM
Not a Border Collie

I probably wouldn't mind at all if everyone called them that! I'm just so used to people calling everything that looks like it could have some ACD in it a heeler. Like I said, it's not even like they're in the wrong because ACD DOES = heeler, I think it's just a snobby me thing.

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 11-25-2010, 12:41 AM
APBT crazy!

Meh, I don't really like it lol. I love the breed but will not call them pibbles.