Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

View Poll Results: What do you think of 'pibbles'
I think its great! 8 10.26%
Meh don't care 31 39.74%
I think its silly to try to call them something new 24 30.77%
chocolate covered raisins. 15 19.23%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-24-2010, 08:38 PM
Obey the Toad.

For me the term has nothing to do with "sugar coating" anything. I never use "pibble" with the general public either, because on the few times I have used the term offhand, I've had to go back and explain what a "pibble" was (it's just annoying), so I use it with people I assume know what I'm talking about.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:48 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
I do, however, tend to tiresomely take every opportunity to remind/instruct people that there is NO SUCH BREED AS A PIT BULL, it's a label used by people who do not know anything at all about APBTs use to lump together anything with a big head, short ears and muscular body, or anything brindle for the purpose of loading fake statistics.
it's also a commonly used abbreviation of american pit bull terrier used by many many knowledgeable breed people, in the same way that lab is used to signify labrador retriever and westie is used because west highland white terrier is a mouthful.

sure it's used incorrectly and inaccurately by some groups. i don't see that as having anything to do with what the breed is or isn't. just because the teevee is calling a mastiff cross a pit bull doesn't make the pit bull not a pit bull.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 11-24-2010, 08:49 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
I find it kind of annoying, but I think its cause the people that I meet who call the pibbles seem to be the rainbow unicorn and butterfly types that think every 'pibble' if raised right will love fluffy bunnies and other dogs.
Yeah, I guess that would change the perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fransheska101 View Post
its the person using the word who pisses me off more than the word itself
^This^
It all depends on context.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 11-24-2010, 08:50 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
Granted, I bet all the Chi people will hate me for this but I call them chih-HOO-uh-HOO-uhs.... it makes me giggle.
YES, I HATE "chihHOuhHOOuhs"! I don't get that one.... other nicknames are there so that the breed is quicker/easier to say, but THAT is much longer, there's no point. So there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayleyMarie View Post
People call Westhighland White Terriers' Westies all the time. I call my breed Westies all the time too I don't expect other people to say "oh look at that Westhighland White Terrier" its just too long and too hard to say.
I usually forget that westies have a "real" name.

I ALWAYS shorten weimaraner ("weim") when I'm writing it, because I NEVER spell it right (I googled it just now). But I did make myself learn how to spell dachshund, because I didn't want to shorten it to "doxie" or especially not "weiner dog" and couldn't figure out a better way to shorten it, LOL.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:53 PM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
I mean, I don't do it, because I think it's not really a cute term. To me "pittie' sounds cuter than "pibble" which rhymes with dribble. And....ibble. I don't know...
it also sounds like pizzle
Old 11-24-2010, 08:53 PM
Resident fainting goat

Urban Dictionary: Pibble
A slang term for Pit Bull; makes the dog sound more friendly and cute.

strangely enough its also a term used for semen.. but I'm not even gonna go there

google images found "pibble" as..

it seems to be just a quirky cute nickname owners use..

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:03 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
I do, however, tend to tiresomely take every opportunity to remind/instruct people that there is NO SUCH BREED AS A PIT BULL, it's a label used by people who do not know anything at all about APBTs use to lump together anything with a big head, short ears and muscular body, or anything brindle for the purpose of loading fake statistics.

I thought APBT was an actual breed, and that "pit bull" was a shortening of the breed name. Is APBT not a breed? They are listed as a breed by UKC, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Statistics are skewed in more ways than misidentification of a dog's breed...and considering I've seen dogs that looked an awful lot like a GoldenPoodleBeagleX called a pit bull in the media, I'd say they don't even go by any appearances when deciding what to call it, but simply base it on what will make for better headlines. After all, stories about a GoldenXPoodleXBeagle that bit someone just don't sell.

Statistics are also skewed by simply not collecting all of them. How many people report dog bites inflicted by toy breeds when the wound needs nothing more than a bandaid?

Better yet, let's just not even try to identify which breeds are "most likely to bite" and stick with each dog is an individual and they all have teeth and owners need to be responsible and train and contain their dogs and JQP needs to not be stupid about approaching strange dogs and a dog who is aggressive and insufficiently controlled needs to be addressed accordingly regardless of what it looks like. Because in my perfect world, those skewed stats on dog breeds and bites shouldn't matter.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 11-24-2010, 09:35 PM
Magic, motherf@%$*#!

I call T-bone a pibble sometimes, but mostly in a quirky manner... and mostly when I play with her and baby-talk for a shortcut to the zoomies.

I would never talk about someone's dog and address it as a pibble, though.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:48 PM
Top Dog

Pibble sounds like pebble...I think it's cute. It's the same to me as rottie or golden or any other shortening. I've never actually used it though. I always say "pittie" in real life.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:55 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgipower View Post

I thought APBT was an actual breed, and that "pit bull" was a shortening of the breed name. Is APBT not a breed? They are listed as a breed by UKC, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Statistics are skewed in more ways than misidentification of a dog's breed...and considering I've seen dogs that looked an awful lot like a GoldenPoodleBeagleX called a pit bull in the media, I'd say they don't even go by any appearances when deciding what to call it, but simply base it on what will make for better headlines. After all, stories about a GoldenXPoodleXBeagle that bit someone just don't sell.

Statistics are also skewed by simply not collecting all of them. How many people report dog bites inflicted by toy breeds when the wound needs nothing more than a bandaid?

Better yet, let's just not even try to identify which breeds are "most likely to bite" and stick with each dog is an individual and they all have teeth and owners need to be responsible and train and contain their dogs and JQP needs to not be stupid about approaching strange dogs and a dog who is aggressive and insufficiently controlled needs to be addressed accordingly regardless of what it looks like. Because in my perfect world, those skewed stats on dog breeds and bites shouldn't matter.
Yes, APBT is a breed -- a distinct breed.

Generic "Pit Bull/Pitbull" is not.

It's amazing how many people truly believe otherwise. The term Pitbull is, correctly used, a type, but BSLers use it as more to load the statistics. They don't lump all Retriever breeds together when developing their numbers, or all Shepherd breeds together, or all wolf-looking guard type dogs (GSD, Belgians, Mals, Akitas, etc.) together in order to escalate the numbers, but they DO lump all Pitbull TYPES together and are using that to do an excellent job of convincing the public that the "Pitbull breed" is dangerous.

It sounds like nitpicking, but if you look at the harm these people are doing, people like those at Dogsbite.org, by using that terminology to lie . . .

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian