Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 11-23-2010, 09:24 PM
Active Pup

Default Incentive Programs

Does anyone know any breeders who have had success with incentive programs used for puppy placing? What I mean by this is offering part of the purchase price of the pup for completing certain procedures like spaying/neutering, attending training classes, health testing, titling in conformation or dog sports, doing well in performance events, etc. The point is to increase what you know about what you are producing because with incentives people will sometimes opt to do things they normally wouldn't consider, like putting a title on a pet or having their eyes screened. As well as increasing the will complete things like spaying and neutering and training that can directly make the pet easier to live with and lower the rate of returns (or probably more frequent breaches of contract where dogs are being dumped in shelters or given away due to behavior problems).
Old 11-23-2010, 09:55 PM
Top Dog

I know of some rescues that do these sorts of things - get part of your adoption fee refunded if you complete a training class, etc. - but as far as I know they get suprisingly few "takers." IMO, either your puppy buyer is going to do those things or they're not, and incentives don't really work to sway them to do something they wouldn't do.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:01 AM
F150 and a .30-06

I dont know why it would be an incentive. A good breeder REQUIRES spay/neutering on pets (with FEW exceptions). If you want all your dogs titled sell them to people who will title them, or REQUIRE health testing.

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 11-24-2010, 01:09 AM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennSLK View Post
I dont know why it would be an incentive. A good breeder REQUIRES spay/neutering on pets (with FEW exceptions). If you want all your dogs titled sell them to people who will title them, or REQUIRE health testing.
This. And, well, ya know... if they are going through a GOOD breeder, chances are they want the dog so they can do all those things, like titling, anyways.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 11-24-2010, 02:22 AM
Rude and Not Ginger

A GOOD breeder works with you, and I see no reason why a "good" breeder should REQUIRE spaying or neutering if you're going to be responsible about the dog being intact.

I know of one breeder who does this, and she's successful at it and keeping her puppy buyers involved with their dogs, as well as offering training advice and helping people find classes and such in their area. She also does not require spaying/neutering and educates about waiting to spay/neuter, and the health benefits/risks of spaying or neutering too early. I just wish she was in a breed I was interested in, because she has some lovely dogs, and I really like her breeding program and her breeding ethics.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:07 PM
F150 and a .30-06

I never said good breeders only require altering. I said thier were exceptions. Waiting to alter is still altering.

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 11-24-2010, 08:37 PM
Resident fainting goat

I've seen some shelters/rescues that do the spay/neuter deposit, training class graduate reward, that kind of thing..

as for breeders, I did once see a breeder that recommends spay/neuter at age 2. and if before then you can prove the dog in something (I think it was sports..or show..) then you and the breeder can discuss full AKC reg for the dog

Oh and I do love it when breeders encourage their new pets owners in non-monetary ways. like... if the dog you bought from them graduates a puppy class, places in a show, does well in a sport.. it gets its picture/acheivement on the breeders website
Old 11-24-2010, 09:42 PM
Top Dog

Usually what happens is the breeder does not release the dog's papers to you or does not change the ownership to you until the dog is spayed/neutered as per contract.

I have heard of breeders that refunded part of the purchasing price after s/n but they usually charge a deposit for the s/n until it's done so I'm not 100% sure if that counts as purchasing price.

Other breeders will refund a certain amount of money after a full registration dog finishes their Ch. or cannot finish their Ch. to try to make sure breeding does not happen before the title.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:19 PM
Not a Border Collie

Most breeders do require spay/neutering, unless you tell them outright you want a show/breeding quality puppy, which usually costs much much more!

Quinn's breeder does not require buyers to spay/neuter their dogs. She however screens homes very carefully and matches up puppies with the perfect homes, so it's not like she's putting these dogs into the hands of just anyone. IIRC (it's been awhile since I signed the contract!) she gives money back if you spay/neuter, and if you decide to breed you must have hips tested, and she'll give money back after the test as well.

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 11-25-2010, 12:23 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
A GOOD breeder works with you, and I see no reason why a "good" breeder should REQUIRE spaying or neutering if you're going to be responsible about the dog being intact.
^This. x 10

My dog's breeder is what many would consider to be a "good breeder" (I certainly consider him to be one). He does not require any of his dogs be spayed or neutered - he does recommend that they be fixed at a later age, if at all, and all his dogs are sold on limited registration. That will only be lifted once the dog achieves a working title, has passed health testing, and is evaluated by him personally. Only then can the dog be bred and fully registered. However, he does not require the dog be fixed.

I would not buy from a breeder who requires a dog be spayed/neutered. I feel that the decision to alter your pet is a personal one, and that requiring an animal be fixed is similar to a breeder requiring you to feed a specific brand of food and nothing else. Many people do not feel it necessary to alter their dog (especially when it comes to neutering males) and for the most part, it is done out of convenience for the dog owner. I would rather sell my dog to a person who was responsible and willing to keep an intact dog than someone who wished to surgically fix the dog.

That's just me, though. Not to say, of course, that I don't think breeders should ever require their dogs be fixed. I can understand the incentive behind that. Those are simply not breeders I would personally choose to turn to for a pup.