Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 11-22-2010, 01:45 PM
Top Dog

Default Scruffy Guider Dog Collar

Has anyone seen this "training collar" before? Scruffy Guider Dog Training Collar

It's supposed to be a good correction collar, that doesn't hurt the dog's neck. It's "Limited choke." What caught my eye about it was that it has a handle of sorts, and how it spreads the pressure evenly over the dog's neck. I highly doubt that it works well as a "correction" collar, and I doubt that it's impossible to harm the dog's windpipe. It looks uncomfortable, above anything else. I have no idea how it would inhibit pulling on the leash.

Just curious. Would any of you try that on your dog?

Fleetwood Mes Yeux Vigilant CGCA RE TDCH TDI and Shed Antler Dog!
Old 11-22-2010, 05:33 PM
Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One

It looks confusing... haha, but then again, I couldn't and still can't figure out the simple harness we bought her :P
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:54 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakash View Post
It looks confusing... haha, but then again, I couldn't and still can't figure out the simple harness we bought her :P
Unless I was looking at the wrong thing, it kind of reminded me of the pictures I've seen of that collar Ceasar Milan markets.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:55 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

I'd have to see it in use to decide. The video really didn't tell me anything, but there was one scene that left me some doubts.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 11-22-2010, 07:23 PM
Top Dog

I'd have to use it to judge it too. And yeah, my first thought was that it looks an awful lot like Cesar's collar.

I'm very skeptical about correction collars anyway.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:37 PM
Top Dog

I don't generally use correction collars of any type on the dogs (not even a martingale). Not because I'm against them, mind you, but my dogs just don't need them
Old 11-22-2010, 09:00 PM
Twin 2.0

It looks like this might have been around for longer? It was positively reviewed in the May '99 issue of Whole Dog Journal at any rate.

I'm not entirely sure how it works though.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:27 PM
Top Dog

Yeah, it does look a lot like the illusion collar, but doesn't that collar just keep the pressure high up on the dog's neck?

Fleetwood Mes Yeux Vigilant CGCA RE TDCH TDI and Shed Antler Dog!
Old 11-23-2010, 03:02 AM
and Fozzie B!

I can't stand people who scruff dogs... I have nearly been bitten countless times simply petting/touching near the scruff because the poor dogs have been corrected over and over with scruffing.

If it involves actually scruffing the dogs, f that. All you need is a properly adjusted collar or slip lead, you don't need to scruff your dog over and over. In general I feel that correction collars are just one more thing to put in between you and your dog effectively communicating.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 11-28-2010, 06:33 PM
Active Pup

Default Scruffy Guider

I have used these collars for many years on my two husky/shepherd mixes. I don't really use it as a training collar, but purchased them mainly because they take the pressure of a pulling dog off the windpipe, and distribute it more evenly around the neck. They also, however, do make it easier to control a pulling dog, but do not appear to cause any discomfort. They will also not slip off if the dog tries to back out of his collar. They are well-made and last for many years.