Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 02-14-2009, 01:52 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Default Post about Ojeriza

Retrieverman's Weblog

Just wondering what some of the fila people on here think about this...

If everyone were up to Renee and Beep's standard of care and socialization, I'd say this man is standing on thin ice... But unfortunately, not everyone is..
Old 02-14-2009, 02:05 PM
Squishy face

Interesting article. I'm curious to see what Chaz's Fila owners say about it.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 02-14-2009, 02:14 PM
Felurian

Another case of someone who knows nothing talking out of his ass. I tried to post but the computer locked up.

Narrow minded morons like him would have us all having a choice of retrievers, or retrievers. Thanks, but no thanks. I'd rather be dogless.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 02-14-2009, 03:54 PM
Top Dog

LOL. I love this comment:

"However, in most dog breeds, even those bred for guarding behavior, we are trying to breed away from aggression (except, apparently, in golden retrievers)."

Old 02-14-2009, 07:04 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Hmph.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:04 PM
Top Dog

I don't necessarily agree with him, but how DO you justify breeding for that kind of drive in a modern environment?

ETA - I have nothing against guardian breeds, but everyone elsewhere is so quit to point out that ojeriza is NOT guardiness- it's aggression towards ANY stranger, ALWAYS. It's not the directed, controlled aggression of a working GSD or malinois patrol dog- it's the default setting. How the heck is that safe?
Old 02-14-2009, 09:21 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Don't bother replying, Renee. I posted a response and it got denied and I was even nice about it! Didn't let me inner fila out at all.... well, a little, but not very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogstarAcademy View Post
I don't necessarily agree with him, but how DO you justify breeding for that kind of drive in a modern environment?

ETA - I have nothing against guardian breeds, but everyone elsewhere is so quit to point out that ojeriza is NOT guardiness- it's aggression towards ANY stranger, ALWAYS. It's not the directed, controlled aggression of a working GSD or malinois patrol dog- it's the default setting. How the heck is that safe?
How do you justify the breeder of GSD's whose hips are bad they nearly touch the ground? How do you justify the breeding of animals that have trouble breething?

Ojeriza does NOT equal aggression. My dog is NOT aggressive. I would not tolerate aggression in my home and have put down a dog for aggression. Ojeriza is distrust of strangers. Aggression in my opinion is attacking, vicious, behavior.

Filas are expected to know the difference between what a real threat is and is not. If a fila owner says their dog is aggressive, then I do not believe that they have a fila with true temperament.

I always use the example of last May... there were four strangers walking around Bella's house while she roamed free. An aggressive dog would not allow that. A dog that is well socialized and trained respectively would. Filas were bred to HOLD... that is where Fila comes from.. the word filar, which means to hold.

That nincompoop on that blog does not know what he is talking about and I said the same thing on his blog... if you have not spoken with people who have filas and have never been around them, then no one is in a worthy enough place to pass ANY judgment on why the dogs are bred and why people have them.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:21 PM
Felurian

Ojeriza - correct ojeriza is NOT aggression

Kharma functions beautifully in the modern world, and she allows me to live and move about in the modern world with nearly complete freedom as nothing else can. And remember, I've had GSDs since I was 11 or 12 years old and loved the breed. But now that I've lived with Filas the GSDs can't compare for me. Kharma's reactions are also far more predictable to me, her owner, than a GSD's. She also has better judgment as to how far she needs to go to achieve her ends.

Her ojeriza is far more controlled and directed than a trained GSD or Malinois's. She KNOWS. They know what they're told.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 02-14-2009, 09:26 PM
Top Dog

To be honest, neither of these dogs would meet the definition I've always been told of ojeriza.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:26 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Ojeriza - correct ojeriza is NOT aggression
Preach it.