Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Rescue Forum

Old 09-13-2005, 11:00 PM
Active Pup

Default Don't forget about Greyhounds

If anyone here is looking to adopt a dog I just wanted to mention just how wonderful retired racing greyhounds are as pets! They have the ability to steal your heart by looking a you with soulful eyes that are full of love and an understanding of it that a lot of people strive to have. There are thousands of greyhounds homeless right now. Thousands that may not live to see another season. Even with all of the rescues working contantly there are still so many of these wonderful animals that need a warm home to retire in. They are dubbed the "45 mile an hour couch potato!" Trust me, they will give you so much more then they ever ask for. We have two of these fabulous dogs and I couldn't imagine living a day without them! If I could I would take in more. If even one person considers adopting a greyhound after reading this then it was worth the time!
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Old 09-13-2005, 11:08 PM
Twin 2.0

I love the look of these dogs. Everytime I see one (especially a fawn) curled up on a pillow I'm reminded of a deer. And they 'feel' so calm too, if that makes sense. There's not the totally wound-up hyper vibe like the ones many labs and terriers give off.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:08 AM
Show Dog

Furby couldnt of put it better myself. They are the most wonderful easy going dogs and give so much love back to you just for a comfy sofa to lay on and a couple of gentle walks a day.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:17 AM
yuckaduck

http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.com/
Old 09-14-2005, 10:27 PM
Active Pup

the website for the rescue that I adopted through is www.gracanada.com in case anyone wants to look at some beautiful dogs in Canada
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Old 09-15-2005, 04:54 PM
Top Dog

just so you know, you did make a difference! (and so i forget his forum name...about his greyhound, nigel)

i really would like to adopt one...there is no way i can right now, but when i have my own house...then i can!

Thanks Jessie!

Old 09-15-2005, 05:01 PM
yuckaduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuckaduck

This website is in Canada as well, since I am Canadian. Will be 4 more years before I can even attempt to adopt one but they are great dogs. It is simply because they do not adopt to people with children under 6 years old. So Megan will hit that in 4 years and she is my youngest.
Old 09-17-2005, 01:42 PM
Active Pup

Not all rescues have these rules about adopting to people with kids- try contacting GRA They might have the right dog for your family!
Old 09-17-2005, 02:44 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Greyhounds the 40 MPH couch potatoes . I heard they are really laid back and are good dogs. My husband's parents ALMOST adopted one and that's what the greyhound adoption agency called them the 40 MPH couch potato. I thought it was funny.

Old 09-17-2005, 02:49 PM
yuckaduck

When I made the attempt to adopt one, they told me that they take their retirement very seriously. But they need to either have a fenced in yard or remain on a leash at all times. They can reach pretty high speeds, can't remember the exact speed she gave me, and theya re sight hounds so finding their way back home is not likely. I know nothing except what they told me. They also suggested that they are not good with other dogs or kids since they have no experience with them. I think that was a bit discouraging because I know several people with greyhounds and I mean greyhounds more than one, and they get along fine. I also know one couple that has little tiny kids and three greyhounds. No problems at all. Hard to know what to believe and who to listen too.