Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 10-14-2010, 02:41 PM
Top Dog

Default Animal Abuse Registry

Suffolk approves animal abuse registry bill

It's interesting...I don't think I see anything wrong with it, and it can definitely help out rescues and shelters in screening adopters. It would help out people rehoming, too.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 10-14-2010, 03:23 PM
Top Dog

We have an unofficial one amongst all the rescues in the mid-atlantic. When any of the groups run across a problem, there's a listserve that the information is sent out to, and a database the adopter's info is held in.

It's not just abuse though--it's also reselling, hoarding, having 5 dogs run over by cars in 2 years, etc.

I like the idea of an official thing. It will be just one more tool to use.

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 10-14-2010, 04:02 PM
Top Dog

If it's unofficial...then it's probably much easier for people to not register for it.

They are also trying to pass a law saying all pet stores have to check the registry for anyone they sell an animal to.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 10-14-2010, 04:06 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
If it's unofficial...then it's probably much easier for people to not register for it.

They are also trying to pass a law saying all pet stores have to check the registry for anyone they sell an animal to.
No one registers for it...when I do a home visit for someone and see disgustingly mistreated animals, or the potential adopter tells me they've lost 3 animals in the past 6 months to completely avoidable "accidents", or our vet reference tells us that they asked to have a perfectly healthy animal put down because they were moving, I email out all the other rescues relaying the information and telling them to avoid the person.

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 10-14-2010, 05:50 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

I love the idea, as long as it isn't abused. It would really depend on the person, for me. Their circumstances. I have met someone convicted of animal abuse, but they were innocent. Aside from this little issue, I do love this idea.

Though I agree with the last comment, that making a new registry is more costly than just building it, and other registries, into one. Have a way that shelters, sellers, etc can access it apart from others, so they can weed out the animal abusers to find them.

I wonder how it will go. Hopefully someone keeps up with it.

My Polyvore
Old 10-29-2010, 07:49 AM
Top Dog

maybe a good idea, but in the end, I don't see it doing much at all. Who's to stop them from buying from a walmart parking lot, stealing animals, buying them out of the newspaper, off the interenet or having a "friend" buy the animals for them.

and what good would "making" pet stores do a check for? They're the criminals, they're already supposed to be selling only healthy animals and we know how that works.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:29 AM
Big Dog

The good thing about it is that this issue is being talked about. From discussions like this, a lot of change can be made -- one person at a time. And save one dog at a time. Hope it works or if not, something better will come out of it.