Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 10-24-2010, 06:55 AM
Active Pup

Default would cat make good friend for my dog?

I have an 8 month onld Shihtzu/Lhasa mix, hes so bored most of the time, I am wondering If getting a cat would help him, I cant afford another dog.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:59 AM
BusterLove

If you can't afford another dog then why could you afford a cat? Not tryingto attck you but they both require finances.
It depends on the cat and the dog. Is there something else you could do to relieve boredom? Train tricks? leave a kong/bone behind? start a sport? go for more walks?

Old 10-24-2010, 07:57 AM
Top Dog

I agree, cats are expensive too.

Try and see if you can find your dog a friend in the neighborhood he can play with. Training is an awesome way to keep a dog from being bored as is playing, taking the dog out to explore. You can hide things in the yard, like a toy or a treat (whichever he likes) and train him to find it by following his nose.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 10-24-2010, 08:38 AM
just call me Nilly

If cost is an issue, then I don't think another pet PERIOD is a good idea. My two "free" cats cost me almost $5000 in vet bills in a 3 year period. As a student. On student assistance.

Pets cost money. Why don't people recognize that?

Anyways, about your dog being bored, there are lots of FREE things you can do to occupy him. Training is fun for both of you, and then you can entertain others later with the cool tricks you've taught him. Go on more walks, and vary your routes. Take him to a local dog park and play. And the list could go on and on.

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010