Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 10-17-2010, 08:54 PM
Top Dog

I guess it just was not the dogs time to go. Can you imagine this happening to a convict who was served the death penalty. What would they do in a case like that?, set him or her free?

Can someone please kill this flea before it jumps on Lola
Old 10-17-2010, 09:01 PM
treehugging clicker freak

I read this on a site somehere and someone was saying it was because the dog food the dog was fed is one of the brands the FDA found traces if the euthanasia drug in it or something... and they think there's a link

But OMG there are no words!! I think I stopped breathing the first time I read it! Wow.....

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 10-18-2010, 12:20 AM
Top Dog

Well the standard dose for the stuff I used (I'm an ACO /euth tech although not employed right now) was 1cc/10lb. of body weight.
However, older and infirm dogs need a higher dose a lot of times, so maybe the vet just used the standard dose and the dog just got very sleepy.
I could see it happening.
It happened here at the big shelter where I used to volunteer, and they went to the freezer a few hrs. later or whatever and there was the dog, walking around (it was a big industrial freezer).
Anyway, I could see it happening but it's strange for it to happen at the vet clinic...they are usually more careful. Our vet listens to their chest until their heart stops beating.

I used to just overdose by a good 2-3 cc's just to make sure, when I had a big dog to do, when I worked.

**A thought just occurred, maybe...just maybe, they underestimated this dog's weight as well.
Or went on an old weigh and it weighed more than they thought...
Old 10-18-2010, 08:18 AM
Top Dog

Dach, we always overdose as well. And there are many reasons how this could've happened (not being in the vein, not correct dosage, poor circulation, etc.).

For me, it's the fact that the vet didn't make 100% sure that the dog was gone. We never bag up a pet until their is no heartbeat for a few minutes as witnessed by both vet and tech.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:05 AM
Top Dog

Yeah - exactly - they must have got lazy and didn't listen.
I always kind of find that interesting they'll listen, I never had a stethoscope at the shelter building but then again, I learned in my euth. class that the only "true" sign of death is rigor mortis!
Old 10-20-2010, 03:17 AM
KEANU & SAGE!

Thats an amazing story. Mia actually got a second chance from God. Wow.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:14 PM
and Spy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Amy* View Post
I read the title for this post and had to read it again because I was thinking "there's no way I read that right." It really does make you wonder how often that actually happens, but no one knows.
*shudders*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:21 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Wow. How creepy that would have been!
I had a bird die once.. my mom poked it and everything, it never woke up... I went up a few hours later to bag the bird, and it was flying around. I just about **** myself.

Also, when I took Rogue in to be done, he had to have THREE lethal doses. First one just made him sleep.. the second put him in a coma, the third finally finished him. Was not the vet fault, she was very apologetic, not like it was traumatic to me or Rogue.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13

Last edited by JessLough; 10-20-2010 at 10:20 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:44 PM
Puppy Dog

My aunt's dog, a JRT, had been hit by a car and was in pretty bad shape. So they had him put to sleep and they were going to bury him at home. On the drive back home with him in the back of the car, she saw in her rear-view mirror that he had stood up. She almost had an accident. Poor dog went on to live a number of years after that and didn't stop chasing cars either.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:07 PM
Professional Nerd

We always REALLY overdosed all of the ones being taken home for burial. We wanted to be sure they were all dead rather than just mostly dead.

When I was just a teen going to work at my first clinic, I had no idea that euthanasia solution was just old school anesthetic that you overdosed them on. My second or third day I helped with a dog that had been dropped off for euthanasia. My boss had just given the injection when he was called away for an emergency, and he told me to just leave the body on the table for the time being.

I went about my business when I swore that I saw the dog move out of the corner of my eye. I figured I was imagining it. A while later my boss came back to find a horror struck kennel girl and a "dead" Standard Poodle standing unaided. Then they explained the actual qualities of the drug used, and we all got a funny story to tell.