Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 10-17-2010, 09:29 AM
Top Dog

Exclamation Dog survives euthanasia

Last Updated: October 16. 2010 6:57PM

Donations accepted to care for dog that survived euthanization
Santiago Esparza / The Detroit News

Redford Township -- People wishing to help pay for the care of a dog who was euthanized last week only to revive the next day can send donations to a Dearborn Heights veterinarian's office.

Caputo Animal Hospital, 8188 North Telegraph is accepting the donations, said Matt Olivarez, whose dog Mia has attracted national attention.

"I don't want the money," said the 27-year-old Olivarez, who recently moved from a house in Redford Township to an apartment in Detroit. "This has never been about me. I just want to help my dog." Mia, an 11-year-old rottweiler, has a spinal problem that veterinarians are trying to diagnose, Olivarez said. Medication has been prescribed and if the dog makes it through the next few days, she may not have to be put to sleep, he said.

"It is just amazing," Olivarez said.

Mia cannot get around right now and Olivarez is feeding her by hand. But the dog seems to be responding to her medication and no longer whimpers as if in pain, he said.

'The medication is kicking in," he said.

Olivarez took Mia to Westcott Veterinary Care Center in Detroit last Saturday to be euthanized because his beloved pooch was in severe pain. He took the dog home with the idea of burying her in his yard.

But when he went to bury her on Sunday, the dog was not where he had laid her in his garage. She was near her food bowl and looking as if she had wondered where he had been, Olivarez said.

"It was scary," said Olivarez, a horror movie buff. " He initially said he couldn't euthanize her a second time, but now says that he doesn't want Mia to be in pain. If the new vets say she needs to be put to sleep, he won't fight it.

"I have been surprised at the attention," he said of people from across the country who have offered to donate money or to adopt Mia. "I didn't know there were so many dog lovers out there." Olivarez' mother Brenda Shead said people can donate $1 each to help with care, which could include surgery.

Westcott officials were not available for comment. The center declined comment earlier this week.

Caputo Animal Hospital was closed today. For information about donating, call (313) 564-1058

From The Detroit News: Donations accepted to care for dog that survived euthanization | detnews.com | The Detroit News
Old 10-17-2010, 09:31 AM
Top Dog

Ummm........me thinks a vet better be on the hot seat with the AVMA board. How on earth do you do such a thing? Wow.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:17 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

WOW is right.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 10-17-2010, 01:57 PM
Top Dog

Wow, I couldnt imagine having my dog PTS and then they come back alive! Makes me think of Pet Cemetary!
Old 10-17-2010, 03:28 PM
and Spy.

That is slightly disturbing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:11 PM
Taxiderpy

Holy cow, I'm really glad he didn't bury her right away. It would have been horrifying for her to wake up underground, and nobody would have known. I'd be super pissed if it was my dog.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:46 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

*scratches head*

Uh...

*scratches head*

Mmmm...

*scratches head*

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 10-17-2010, 06:02 PM
Irritate with Caution!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
Holy cow, I'm really glad he didn't bury her right away. It would have been horrifying for her to wake up underground, and nobody would have known. I'd be super pissed if it was my dog.
I second that..... Such a heartbreaking thing to go through in the first place... I can't imagine...
Old 10-17-2010, 06:50 PM
Taxiderpy

It's just plain creepy. I mean, how many euthanized animals are kept laying around for a day or so afterward to give them a chance to wake up if they survive? Ugh. I hate to think the survival rate might be higher than we think.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:35 PM
Top Dog

I read the title for this post and had to read it again because I was thinking "there's no way I read that right." It really does make you wonder how often that actually happens, but no one knows.