Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-11-2010, 09:54 PM
Richy Rich HM Twit!

Default Do you have any kind of beware/warning sign on your fence

...just wondering who all has a Dogs in Yard, Beware of Dogs, etc sign on your fence? Right now we don't have a sign at all, but with getting a big dog my husband mentioned getting one. But, I've read stories about people (the criminal) using them to their advantage if something happened, but I've also heard stories of it helping people (because of the warning) if they get ever get sued.

I kind of like the idea of someone finding out on their own.

Thoughts?
Old 10-11-2010, 10:03 PM
BusterLove

We have "Dogs on Premises. Please sound your horn or call xxxxxxxxxx"

I've heard you can get in trouble for having "Beware of dog" becuse it shows your aware your dog could be dangerous.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:04 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Nope, do not have one. Thought about getting one, my dad consulted a (police officer) friend, and was advised against it. At least here, if your dog attacks, it is seen as you admitting that you know your dog is likely to attack, and you did nothing to try stopping it.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 10-11-2010, 10:10 PM
Not a Border Collie

We don't - but then again we don't have a fenced yard or anything, just 50 acres well in the country.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:15 PM
Mutts to you

Our insurance company won't allow us to put up a beware of dog sign unless we make sure the dogs are contained so anyone trespassing/burglarizing the house/property can do so in perfect safety.

It's ridiculous that a lawbreaker has more protection than a law abiding citizen...

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 10-11-2010, 10:21 PM
Richy Rich HM Twit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snark View Post
Our insurance company won't allow us to put up a beware of dog sign unless we make sure the dogs are contained so anyone trespassing/burglarizing the house/property can do so in perfect safety.

It's ridiculous that a lawbreaker has more protection than a law abiding citizen...
I agree.

Honestly, I was just wondering what everyone else does. I think I'm gonna pass on putting a sign up because if the dog doesn't hurt someone the husband in the house with a gun will.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:26 PM
Top Dog

Nope! It's a surprise

lol ditto mrose. Get one of those Rottie x-ing signs or something. Gets the point across without admitting that your dog might be a hazard.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:27 PM
Mutts to you

Yeah, just don't put up any 'Beware of gun owner' signs either; let 'em be surprised.

We tried putting up a Beware of Mice sign (mice are dangerous, you know... they blew up our neighbor's truck) but the insurance company wouldn't go for that either...

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 10-11-2010, 10:37 PM
Top Dog

Ours just says "Dogs on Premises".
But I'm thinking of getting one - that says "Do you believe in Life after Death? find out, jump the fence" with a GSD on it LOL
Old 10-11-2010, 10:42 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snark View Post

How is that more protection? Somebody breaks into your house, the dogs can attack and that is in your right to have an "attack dog" to protect your house. It is just rathered that it be a surprise

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13