Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 10-04-2010, 09:55 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Default Prednisone and Ferretone?

I just picked Casey up some more Prednisone and I forgot to have them flavor it. She already didn't like taking it, but I could get her to stomach it. I just gave her her dose and she was gagging and foaming at the mouth due to how icky it tasted. (And I don't blame her - the smell of it alone screams, "EW!" to me! Like the mint toothpaste dentists use combined with nasty cherry cough syrup. *shudders*)

Is it all right if I mix her dose of Pred with some Ferretone? That way it'll have some flavor and not just taste like nastiness. (She gets the liquid Pred, I syringe it to her.) I don't see why it would be a problem mixing some Ferretone with it, but I wanted to check and make sure. Would a 50/50 ratio be good, or how should I mix it?

And Casey is doing fine. We just upped her dose to .25 mLs twice a day today. She improved greatly on .2 mLs twice a day, so we're going to see if adding that extra mL will make even more of an improvement. She's eating great and her energy level is almost back to normal. She still doesn't like wrestling with Dameon, but other than that I'd say she's acting 90% normal now.

My vet has been AMAZING and has really stepped up to the plate. She is super excited to have a ferret patient (although she isn't happy about the circumstances - she adores Casey) and she's ordered textbooks pertaining to ferret health and has gotten into contact with an exotic vet she attended school with who is practicing down in Texas, I think, for consultation purposes. I am super comfortable intrusting my ferts to her care and I thankful that she stepped up to the challenge of having something new and different instead of just saying, "Oh, they're exotics, that's not my field".

I'm taking Dameon in for a blood panel on Thursday, just to make sure everything is going okay with him. I don't think anything is wrong with him and I'm fully expecting normal results, but if he is going to end up with any illnesses, I'd like to catch them before he starts showing symptoms. So fingers crossed for normal bloodwork!

Old 10-04-2010, 11:17 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Yay! So glad to hear she is improving
As for Pred, go ahead and mix it with FerreTone. Juice also works, there was one kind they cannot have (I forget the name of it), but it was something that I was thinking "ok, WHO has that kind of juice laying around the house?!" So either FerreTone or juice, whichever she will like.

Also, if it would be cheaper, you can get Prednisone pills, put a drop of water and it will dissolve, then put some ferretone and feed her it like that (obviously use a spoon).

Thought any further into adding a third?

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 10-05-2010, 02:15 AM
Top Dog

I'm glad to hear Casey is doing well. I always just scruffed and squirted meds down their throats so taste wasn't an issue for me, but I can't imagine adding a little 'tone would be a problem. I've never heard of giving a ferret juice though.

Just out of curiosity, do you know who the Texas vet is?
Old 10-05-2010, 02:18 AM
khoffman

Yeah! I hope they would come up with good tasting medicines for dogs. With yummy flavor and nice smell. Even dogs have a good taste for everything they eat.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:32 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoffman View Post
Yeah! I hope they would come up with good tasting medicines for dogs. With yummy flavor and nice smell. Even dogs have a good taste for everything they eat.

...yeah we're actually talking ferrets here

Glad Casey's feeling better! I don't see a problem mixing them.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:35 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I'm not sure how cheap the pills are, but the oral solution isn't that bad. Course, I may be singing a different toon when I renew the perscription for more than 5mLs at a time (since we upped the dose), so we'll see. It's about two bucks a mL from Walgreens, so roughly $30 a month.

Yey, glad to hear I can mix them. That will make her happier with me. I do scruff her and syringe it down her throat, but she'll spit it back up if she doesn't like the taste.

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, do you know who the Texas vet is?
Nope. I don't know if she still practices in Texas or just interned there for a year with another exotic vet. I can find out her name for you if you want.

As for adding a third, I'm going to see how Dameon's bloodwork comes back and also how much Casey improves with the upped dosage. I won't be able to add another one until either winter or summer break, and I'm going to wait until that time is closer to see if it is really something I want to do. The breeder I contacted does have a hob and maybe a few jills that might work for my situation, and the rescue has over 70 ferrets for me to choose from (although I'm not sure adopting an older rescue is the best at the moment, because it would also probably have health problems...). So, we'll see how the ferts are doing in two months! I would still like to get another one anyway, but convincing my mom to let me get another one if Casey is doing okay won't be the easiest thing to do in the world. LOL

Old 10-05-2010, 11:05 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
Nope. I don't know if she still practices in Texas or just interned there for a year with another exotic vet. I can find out her name for you if you want.
Nah, no biggie. Just thought if would be funny if it was the vet I see. They see hundreds of ferrets at the clinic I go to, but my vet definitely isn't a "she"