Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 10-02-2010, 04:47 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

I adore cats as long as they are socialized. If I am gonna be clawed just for touching I dont want anything to do with it.
We have an awesome cat, Rockefeller. He is the best cat I have ever owned, and he is probably my 30th or so. We rescued him from the shelter after he reached through the bars and grabbed both of us by the pantleg. He chose us. He is very talkative, thats my only complaint. He isnt an Asian breed as far as we know, but keep in mine those breeds tend to be very talkative and there are tons in shelters. Not just lots of meowing, but extremely loud meowing too.

Rock is not very good at jumping. He missed the windowsill yesterday and smacked his face off a piece of metal on the wall. He walked it off but it scared me a little, it was so loud and I saw it happen and just ugh. We take him outside on a leash and comfort harness as well. Because he is so jump-happy, and not very good at it, I do not like him on the balcony. He loves being outdoors and though he will only walk when he feels it is necessary, he still loves to look around.

I had mostly indoor/outdoor cats. We saved one after someone threw her from their window onthe highway and she had three broken ribs and a mangled pawpad. She lived about 17 years and died a few years ago of FIV. But she was a great cat.
My cat before Rockefeller was a Desert Lynx. He took hunting trips and would be gone for days, coming back with lots of dead state birds to set out in plain sight. He was very skittish with strangers and clawed and bit at the best of times. Evenso, I prefer exotic cats over most domestic breeds. I enjoy the hybrids a lot more because their personalities are what I like. A lot more cat than most can handle though.

Rock is the most submissive cat ever though. Usually cats will paw and mouth when you hold them down and play with them but he just stares at you. He has gotten into the habit of "hiding" and attacking our legs for a few steps but he hasnt once used claws or teeth. The only scratches I have had are from him jumping off and his back feet pushing off my arms or legs. We keep his nails short mostly because he gets stuck to furniture and fabric so much. I am completely against declawing and have never not been able to keep a cat from ruining what it isnt meant to.
He doesnt like his backend touched really. He will bite if you scratch near his tail or get too close between his back legs. But I have yet to have any neutered male cat who hasnt acted this way. Rock also had a bad infection in his stitches there so he went through a lot of pain. I can understand him not liking being touched.

He is the most cuddly cat I have owned, but not the only one. He is somewhat independent but he generally despises being left alone. He was abandoned in a carrier on the side of the road, so he will whne a lot even if we just go in the bathroom.

All in all I adore cats. They are great pets, you can train them (Rock knows sit and how to say "please" when we are setting his food down) and they can be more entertaining at times than even dogs. Some are lots more needy than others.

Theres tons of great info in this thread!
Good luck!!
Old 10-02-2010, 05:16 PM
Top Dog

Neko likes to be trained too, he's much quicker than Willie. He knows touch, sit, spin, and paw.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 10-02-2010, 05:35 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

I get my hand smacked sometimes. I wonder if I could channel that into a paw trick hmmmm.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:43 PM
Top Dog

I basically wiggled a treat around in front of him until he tried to tap it out of my hand then weaned him off of me having the treat in that hand so he just put his paw in my open hand. I definately think you could do it.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 10-03-2010, 06:31 AM
Bored Now.

Cats are evil. I don't know why anyone would recommend them to you.

On that note, if you want a free cat, Emma is up for adoption.