Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 09-28-2010, 03:55 PM
Big Dog

Default So disappointed...

Here is when breeding just plain sucks. Well, Visa came into standing heat on Monday night, so I took her to the stud on Tues. He's overweight, so he just can't get the job done. Too much belly fat is completely preventing his penis from even getting close to her. I wasn't expecting this, so didn't have the proper tools for AI. Did a mock AI, best as I could.. Doubt it took. I went out and brought the proper supplies, and will have to try again tomorrow. Sigh. Luckily when we progesterone tested her last year, she was ready to naturally breed 5 days before ovulation. If she's the same, then she should ovulate on Saturday. So, we have two more AI's in between now and Sat, and I will keep AI'ing every second day until she's no longer standing.

I am VERY disappointed. Visa has fertility issues because of a puppyhood illness, and I'm lucky if she concieves from a natural breeding, let alone an AI. I have such a great waiting list.. One female is supposed to go to Europe, so I'm atleast hoping for a female.

Wish us luck. We definatly need it.

Jordan
Old 09-28-2010, 06:00 PM
F150 and a .30-06

Crapy Crapy Crapy. Do you have a back up stud for nest season worse care senario?

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 09-28-2010, 07:21 PM
*Now with Snark*

Crapity crap crap. Happily fresh AI is usually just as successful as natural cover if done right. Just remember to elevate that hind end for as long as she'll put up with it.

As a thought you can help things along by elevating her which may change his angles of approach and might get his flab out of the way LOL. You can also help get a good connection with a spot of lube on her lady bits.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:40 PM
Show Dog

Sorry to hear about issues with the stud...

But as was already said, fresh AI's, usually have just as good end results as a natural breeding...

I've never had a bitch miss I've done AI's on myself... most recent litter was a litter of 8 smoothies, a result of 3 AI breedings...

The only time I've had girls miss is when I sent them to outside studs and the stud owner refuses to listen to me, about when to breed them -- my girls breed late, most people think its TO late to just start breeding.... but not for my girls...

Good luck! Hope everything works out for you!!
Old 09-29-2010, 05:58 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

I may be off base here, but I would NEVER allow an overweight stud to cover my bitch. Surely that shows irresponsibility on the stud owners behalf. I would consider the studs owner an irresponsible breeder.

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 09-29-2010, 11:12 AM
*Now with Snark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppydog View Post
I may be off base here, but I would NEVER allow an overweight stud to cover my bitch. Surely that shows irresponsibility on the stud owners behalf. I would consider the studs owner an irresponsible breeder.
Based on what? This conclusion works if you think that all dogs maintain prime condition their entire life and that you'd have easy access for a variety of vetted studs. Reality rarely works that way.

First off we have no idea how old this stud is, second with how some dogs are shaped a little flab especially over the ribcage can make a big difference, in some breeds there are some awkward size differences between the boys and the girls that can make things difficult to put it mildly even under the best circumstances. Finally some dogs especially if they're seldom used/aged/moderate drive on the matter aren't great about figuring this out on their own which again can make things annoyingly difficult.

If the dog is the right dog to use genewise, typewise, recordwise, owner wise, proximity wise, and health cert wise being a little tubby isn't a big deal IMO for the studdog so long as you're able to go to plan B which is Fresh AI.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:22 AM
Tweleve Enthusiest

An overweight Belgian? I had no idea there was such a thing.

Good luck! Hope the AI works out and you get a wonderful and uneventful litter.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 09-29-2010, 10:39 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppydog View Post
I may be off base here, but I would NEVER allow an overweight stud to cover my bitch. Surely that shows irresponsibility on the stud owners behalf.
I kind of was wondering the same thing, but didn't want to bring it up because it wasn't that big a deal, but, yeah...

Though, I know literally nothing in this area of breeding, so, yeah.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 09-30-2010, 03:14 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

Well, it is a Belgian for one. Shouldn't they be HIGH drive? I know that an overweight Pap would freak me out totally, knowing how mine are like crackheads on speed. I couldn't get mine fat if I tried.

I know that it does not affect the dogs genetics, but it would worry me in general. I would be put off by the studs owners for letting their dog become obese, I would be put off by the stud for not being energetic enough to burn off that fat (if he is not confined that is) and if he is confined I would run in the opposite direction before allowing my kennel to be linked with that.

As I said, I may be totally wrong, but those are just my feelings. I know that I am driving 12000 kms for Rileys second litter to get to my chosen stud because I will not touch the studs in Cape Town because their kennel has over 160 dogs of different breeds in it. To me, that is irresponsible and I do not want my name linked to that.

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 09-30-2010, 08:53 AM
Top Dog

I was going to just stay out but a belgian of any type should not be that out of condition that he can't do "that". If he is that out of shape, he is no longer a "stud" but retired with some health condition