Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 09-25-2005, 08:26 AM
Top Dog

Default Where are your puppies going?

Found this on another forum. It's mostly averages of course, but maybe some people will realize that the situation is pretty bad. It's a repost from the 10th page of another thread, but I think it deserves its own.

DID YOU KNOW:
That when your dog has 6 puppies...

*** Chances of serious complications during delivery are 1 in 4....

*** Chances of a bitch dying during the birthing process are 1 in 20...

*** Chances of an Emergency C-Section are 1 in 10...

*** Chances of loosing at LEAST 1 puppy during delivery are 1 in 3...

*** Chances of loosing at least 1 puppy within the 1st week are 1 in 2...

*** Chances of ALL your PURE-BRED puppies finding PERMANENT & FOREVER homes are about 6%

*** 5 out of your 6 puppies are going to spend their lives with at least 4 DIFFERENT families throughout their lives...

*** 4 out of your 6 puppies are going to bounce from home to home and in and out of Shelters, with the average time spent with one family being 1-2 years...

*** 3 out of your 6 puppies (50%) are going to be euthanized in a shelter, or in an enviroment where there is no one who loves them near them to comfort them...

*** At least 1 out of your 6 puppies is going to be abused, starved or beaten...

*** At least 1 out of your 6 puppies is going to be hit by a car before it's 2nd birthday.

*** At least 2 out of your 6 puppies are going to be dead before they reach 5 years of age...

*** Chances of ONE of your 6 puppies going thru ANY obedience training whatsoever are about 50%...

*** Chances of YOU, the person who planned for your PURE-BRED puppy to be born, being there for your puppy to comfort it, heal it, feed it, love it, and make sure it is safe and protected all it's life.... 0.00001%....
Old 09-25-2005, 01:56 PM
Big Mutts

Wow thanks for posting that Fran, very good reasons why there should be no back yard breeding, leave it to the experts.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:10 PM
OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!

wow thats great info. I didn't know half or all of that stuff. thanks for sharing and I agree w/ all of it 100%
Old 09-25-2005, 02:48 PM
Are you dead yet?

If they could see this, I think a lot of miseducated novice/potential breeders would take breeding a lot more seriously.

Those are definitely averages, though, from the entire 'breeding community' including many backyard breeders. Responsible breeders will screen homes more carefully (Hell I'm going to do background checks on every one of my potential puppy buyers.) and there is less of a chance of the dog being flopped around, starved, neglected, or dropped in a shelter. Not many people will go to a reputable breeder and walk away owning a puppy unless they know their stuff when it comes to dogs.

It's another reason why breeders should be prepared to keep every single puppy that is born. I won't place a pup in an unsuitable home, just to get it out of my house. Ever. I will only place a puppy if it's going to a good, experienced home that will at the very least, send it back to me if they can't keep it any longer.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:11 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD
If they could see this, I think a lot of miseducated novice/potential breeders would take breeding a lot more seriously.

Those are definitely averages, though, from the entire 'breeding community' including many backyard breeders. Responsible breeders will screen homes more carefully (Hell I'm going to do background checks on every one of my potential puppy buyers.) and there is less of a chance of the dog being flopped around, starved, neglected, or dropped in a shelter. Not many people will go to a reputable breeder and walk away owning a puppy unless they know their stuff when it comes to dogs.

It's another reason why breeders should be prepared to keep every single puppy that is born. I won't place a pup in an unsuitable home, just to get it out of my house. Ever. I will only place a puppy if it's going to a good, experienced home that will at the very least, send it back to me if they can't keep it any longer.
Well said, My pups go with a contract that says if for whatever reason they can no longer keep the dog they have to return it to me.

When we got our staffy we went to see the pups and the breeder just said right which one do you want, then we handed over the money and that was that, she didnt ask any questions, it was me asking all the questions
Old 09-25-2005, 03:20 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Good post. I really thought about maybe in the future breeding (long future after I've decided on a breed and researched for a few years). I don't think I could handle the mom getting hurt or worse or the puppies being in shelters or PTS. Even with the contract that the puppies had to go back to you people move and they often times don't keep in contact with the breeder. If things happen they will just dump the dog and forget the contract and hope the breeder never finds out.

Old 09-26-2005, 11:30 AM
Big Dog

The puppy stories are so horrible! My family, growing up, always had 3 -5 dogs, mostly adopted because our neighbors couldn't bear the responsibility. Granted, we were in rural Alaska so our neighbors weren't close and usually didn't have spayed / neutered dogs either, so were always trying to get rid of puppies. They would just give them away to anyone that wanted them. I know a lot of those puppies' lives ended badly. I'll only have fixed animals.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:58 PM
Top Dog

I think I answered this elsewhere ?????

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 09-26-2005, 11:50 PM
Top Dog

Again, the more and more I read from you people, you mostly agree..
So for the 3rd time, I am posting this same thing again.......

I see that most if not all of the people here are very passionate about their fids. I know I am brand new to the board and didn't really represent myself as I should have the first few posts, but I wish this whole breeding tread would disappear. It seems that the majority here may have purebreds (I do too, from a shelter). But the whole breeding thing gets my hackles up and I am seeing it's getting others hackles up as well. I understand freedom of speech, and respect that, but from what I can see here, most "animal people" don't respect the concept and are not in favor of it.

I could see having a pure-bred section, (and discussing training, behavior and temperments of certain breeds) but "the breeding ground" sounds like a doggy orgy for profit. Just my 2 cents....
Amy
Old 09-27-2005, 02:24 AM
silronrays

dont mix good breeders with puppyfarms!
do you really think that if you breed one littera year ... think about getting bitch tested hips, elbows, eyes;, shown, taking to field trails all needed here to "qualify" your bitch for breeding ... then the costs for studfee, not forgetting whelpingbox... all the food , vaccinations, both bitch and pups etc .... do you really think that at the end of the day .... they make "big profit",,
and YES i am a breeder too, for more then 35 years now ..... with many of the "so-called puppybuyers i am still in touch: most of them are good friends ... and YES i have a contract that if something goes wrong the dog must be returned and YES ....
i also CANNOT give a lifetime healthguarntee on the dog ...... but can anyone ? ...... the same with people ......!!! but try to breed as healthy animals as possible ... but still NO lifetime guarantee possible !!
But i have set up a rescuecenter because ..... there are these breeders who dont take any responsability ... who are in it for the money .... but believe me it takes more then one or maybe two litters a year to get the sort of profit you believe we earn!
If looking for a puppy, go and visit the breeder ... use the time, the money that it will take to visit her/him.
Look around when visiting .... old boys, old girls around ? Those who aren't bred from anymore, not used as stud ... or are there just the "UP to 7" Year bitches ....
real breeders are proud to show you the grandparents, the old boy who has produced the "so and so...... dogs", the old lady, maybe even with stiff legs, not so glossy coats anymore ... but still being grandma of her TOP winning bitch/dog .....
those are the breeders who are in it because they love the breed ... and who have "made" the breed , so dont you mix them all together and think breeders are a sort of "secondgraded moneymakers!"
maybe you have just met the wrong ones ..... time to meet some of mu USA friends then .... who just like me love their dogs .... even when ill ... having genetic problems .... because whatever happens .... it is still their dog ... was their choosen pup ..... Believe me some are really in it for the love of the breed!