Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 09-22-2010, 08:14 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Default You DON'T have to be in front of me to "down"

Auggie thinks that "down" means run over in front of me and then down. Now, don't get me wrong - he doesn't think that he only has to down if I'm standing in front of him. I can be halfway across the room running away from him and yell "DOWN" and he'll react, but he chases after me, gets next to me, and then lies down.

This is still not correct, LOL. I want him to hit the deck right where he's standing when I say "down."

How do I work on this with him? I thought about maybe starting to take a few steps back, but he has to be in a NOT-down before he can get down, and if he's not down, he'll run over to me and down.

I am wondering if I should try a new cue word if he already has it ingrained in him that "down" means "run over to mom and then lie down" but then I'm not sure how to start training it as something new and not end up with the same problem.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA NAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 09-22-2010, 08:18 PM
*Now with Snark*

Have you tried using a tether?
Old 09-22-2010, 08:41 PM
Top Dog

A tether would probably work.

You could also teach it using "wait" or "stay".... so you ask him to sit (or stand), take a few steps away and then cue down. He'll probably get up to come to you, but you can use body language - move toward him, bend over, etc. - to get him to back up to the spot he was in before, and then ask him to down again. I taught this to Luna and it suprisingly didn't take too long.

You could also teach him to go to a "place" - bed, mat, etc. - and then cue sits and downs on the mat. THis too is actually pretty quick.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:21 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

I train it by starting only a couple feet away, saying "down" and then immediately stepping to them to prevent them from coming to me. I gradually add distance but am always prepared to move towards them immediately if needed and I don't get more than a leash length away until they're reliable about it. When stepping toward them, be sure to do it after the command and be careful that it doesn't become a part of the cue.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 09-22-2010, 09:46 PM
Water Junkie

I've had somewhat of the same problem with Blaze. "Down, oh okayz, I come see you then down" Silly dog.

I've used my body to get him to see that I want him to stop. Putting both my hands up like I'm telling someone to stop and pushing my body forward seems to work well for him to see that I mean stop.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 09-23-2010, 06:46 PM
Top Dog

Down him when he is between you and a wall. Use your foot to keep him at your side when you tell him down. Praise and treat. Do this all over the house, make a game of it, and work him on your left side and your right. Then, face a wall, with him behind you, ask for the down. See, you aren't giving him any choices. Take him outside, on a long line. When you are a foot from him, down. When you are three feet from him, down. Five feet from him, down, etc. BUT, as you work on greater distance, tell him down as you walk up to him and using the hand signal. You want to give yourself enough distance/time that you can step up to him on time to have him down right where he is. Praise and treat.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:22 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post
You could also teach him to go to a "place" - bed, mat, etc. - and then cue sits and downs on the mat. THis too is actually pretty quick.
This is sort of working - half the time he will run to his place to target it, but then he still runs to me when I cue down. (Interestingly enough, he does not have to come to me for a sit. But he will sit, then break his sit and come to me to down. *headdesk repeatedly*) So I think this is the method I will have to pursue with him. How would I start fading out the "place" later to generalize it to mean "hit the deck whenever I say 'down?'"

He will throw himself on top my feet if he can't get all the way in front of me. I tried stepping WAY into his space to force him to back up to where he was again, and he just plops himself down on my feet. Sometimes after basically bodyslamming me in his exuberance to get to me. The dog may be small but he freaking hurts charging into your legs. He will gladly do a down at my side too, obviously he had to for rally-O, but if he's not in my personal space bubble, this doesn't seem to translate to the correct way to do a "down" for Auggie. And after all, doing a down in my personal space bubble is how I've asked him to do it for five years. So doing downs next to a wall or facing a wall away from him definitely doesn't block him from doing it "wrong" when I try to change the criteria on him. That's why I don't know if changing the word on him would be easier for him or not... For five years "down" means one thing and now I'm trying to tell him it means something else...

I have a theory that if I put Auggie alone in a room and played commands over a tape, he would sit, and then when I say "down" he would have a panic attack because he couldn't find me to run into before he downs, LOL. "I CAN'T DOWN CUZ WHERE ARE YOU?!? OH MY GOD!!"

The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 09-24-2010, 03:20 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
I have a theory that if I put Auggie alone in a room and played commands over a tape, he would sit, and then when I say "down" he would have a panic attack because he couldn't find me to run into before he downs, LOL. "I CAN'T DOWN CUZ WHERE ARE YOU?!? OH MY GOD!!"
Or he'd run to the tape player.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 09-30-2010, 01:39 PM
Active Pup

Beanie - seems to me you are trying to train down in reverse order. I would first teach the dog down when standing next to me. Put the dog in the down position and walk away. Make sure he/she learns down and to stay in that spot.

Once that is learned, start walking with your dog at heel and give the down command. The dog should drop immediately and you should be able to walk off. Progress to walking and giving the down command with the dog going down and you being able to keep walking.

After he/she has mastered going down with you continuing to walk, go to a jog and giving the command. Next to a run.

If you give the dog the down command while it is a distance from you and it comes to you and then goes down. Pick the dog up, carry it to the location it was in when you gave the command. Give the command again and walk away. Repetition of this will teach the dog to go down when told to.

Good luck!
Old 09-30-2010, 03:18 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Auggie is five years old, has a rally-obedience title, and several agility titles - so no, I don't need to teach him to down next to me, do a down in heel, or do a down-stay.

Returning Auggie to where he was when I told him "down" does nothing but give us both a lot of exercise, which is fun, but not what I have in mind.

Thanks though.

The Sheltiechick Blog