Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Agility and Dog Sports

Old 09-18-2010, 07:23 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Default Chutes stealz your brain!

Lincoln has been a little leary of the chute in agility class. Most of the time he pops back out and doesn't go all the way through, other times he slowly goes through and comes out with a look on his face.

So between our turns at working front crosses, we went and played in the chute. Rolled the fabric part so it was just the barrel, then slowly increase the amount of fabric covering the tunnel so he'd have to duck through it to go through, and then slowly worked on the distance of fabric he'd have to go through. About 45 minutes of doing this (not 45 minutes straight, alot of it was broken up doing our turn for front crosses) and he will now go throught completely on his own! I'm so proud of my guy!

But apparently after all that, his brain slipped out and now we've got to up our work on tunnels. LOL.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:59 PM
Top Dog

I will be mailing Meg to you tomorrow. She decided mid-trial two weeks ago that she Does Not Do Chutes. This has continued for three weekends straight. Lovely, with Cynosport less than a month away. I'm thrilled you will fix it for us!

Old 09-19-2010, 11:13 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Haha! Send her along! Though, does that mean I can send Kiba to you to "straighten out"?

One of these days we'll finally get to a trial (hopefully) close to you to visit.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:23 PM
Top Dog

Luna LOVES the chute, never had a problem with it. First time we tried it, my trainer said "I can always tell a dog who sleeps in bed under the covers." Guilty!

Course, she has her own problems....

Congrats to you and Lincoln!
Old 09-20-2010, 07:39 AM
Top Dog

I swear I jinxed her myself. I ran Grand Prix first thing in the morning, had a decent run that got me my last qualifier for Nationals, and when I was talking to the woman I train with after the class, I said "I was really happy she did the chute; she hasn't seen one in a while." Trainer says, "Dogs really don't have a problem with a chute until they have a chute problem."

Next class, same ring, same chute, didn't even move it, Meg had a chute problem.

Definitely Merico! Don't you go to All Dogs? We go there frequently, and not just because I am determined she will win a major title there because their ribbons rock . I think next year we are also going to do a bit more variety; I'll never be able to afford Cynosport two years in a row, so we may dip our toes in AKC a bit or do a little CPE as well.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:27 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Yeah, we've gone to there and Riverside, and the Gemini trials (nothing farther so far). We do CPE but I want to get into AKC and USDAA as you need a 123,2131o2iu Q's to get a title in CPE.

I remember one Standard run with Kiba (we're still 2 Standard runs away from a CL2 title) and she did EVERYTHING amazing, except the weaves, NQ. So I told her next Standard run, just get the weaves right. And she did, like 2 dropped bars (she never drops bars) and reversed on the a-frame to follow me, but damnit she did her weaves perfectly! LOL
Old 09-20-2010, 09:57 PM
Top Dog

They do have a way of frustrating you, don't they?! Meg went to run-thrus tonight and never so much blinked at the competition chute.

I like the Riverside USDAA trials as well - very nice title ribbons there . I am sort of leaving CPE for when Meg is a bit older. She won't be competitive in USDAA forever (heck, she's barely competitive now), and I figure we can bump down to lower heights/slower course times as she ages a bit. AKC is more just going to be a chance for both of us to get our confidence back up after having Master's courses kick our butts all year. I want to run Novice and feel like a genius. I'm shallow like that.