Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-08-2010, 03:15 PM
*blackrose's Avatar
*blackrose *blackrose is offline
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 5,989
Unhappy Casey needs some serious vibes

Just got back from the vets office.

Not good news.

She tested low and high in a variety of different things. I can't remember what all of them were. She most definitally has insulinoma. Her glucose level was way too low. I'm taking her in tomorrow late afternoon to have her insulin levels checked, which for some reason didn't get done the first time. If her insulin levels are high, we're going to start her on medication. I really don't think surgery would be the way to go - I'd rather just manage with the Prednizone.

Her red blood cell count is way too low - she is basically anemic. Her white blood cell count is way too high. (This screams cancer to me, but I am praying I'm wrong.) She had a few other wonky readings as well, but I don't remember what they are. The vet made a call over to Purdue to see what they think about the readings and if something is going on besides just the insulinoma. When I dropped by they were still waiting to hear back, but they'll know what is up with the rest of the readings later this evening, or at latest tomorrow morning. Once we know what all we are up against we're going to go from there.

Keep Casey in your thoughts and prayers, please.
__________________
Cynder, Daddy's girl Little Lab muttly and Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever
~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-08-2010, 04:45 PM
JessLough JessLough is offline
Love My Mutt <3
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 13,160
Default

Oh no, so sorry to hear <<<<vibes>>>>> for Casey, and ((((hugs)))) for you. I will be keeping you guys in my thoughts.

Honestly, I fully agree with the against surgery. For an older ferret, where the surgery just prolongs the need of meds (it WILL come back, there is no stopping it), the risks just are not worth it. MAYBE if Rascal was under 2 when he was diagnosed, I would have done surgery (did not have him until his 2nd birthday, anyways), but for an older ferret I just do not feel that it is worth it.

Again, please keep us updated. Also, know you can PM me ANY time, if you have any questions, or if you just want to talk/rant. (((((hugs))))
__________________
Ella: 3 year old female ferret
Nacho: ~8 year old male ferret

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-09-2010, 08:18 AM
Taqroy's Avatar
Taqroy Taqroy is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,540
Default

***Vibes*** for Casey and ((((hugs)))) for you. I'm sorry.
__________________


I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-09-2010, 09:50 PM
*blackrose's Avatar
*blackrose *blackrose is offline
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 5,989
Default

Thanks guys. Right now I'm just crossing my fingers and hoping for the best. She went in for her insulin levels to be checked this afternoon. She is such a trooper and the staff loves her. We'll get that bloodwork back tomorrow. Purdue still hasn't gotten back to the vet about her other messed up readings, so we still don't know what is going on there. Hopefully by tomorrow or at the very latest Saturday we'll know what is going on!

Casey's doing fine. She has no energy whatsoever, but she's responsive and perky. I'm just trying to keep her comfortable. I've been trying to keep Dameon entertained when he wants to play so he doesn't pester her and it seems to be working fairly well. I think it helps that Dameon is a lazy bum. LOL
__________________
Cynder, Daddy's girl Little Lab muttly and Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever
~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-10-2010, 01:03 PM
Taqroy's Avatar
Taqroy Taqroy is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,540
Default

Any news? How is she doing?
__________________


I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-10-2010, 02:38 PM
JessLough JessLough is offline
Love My Mutt <3
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 13,160
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqroy View Post
Any news? How is she doing?
^Any news?

ETA: I should add, that insulinoma, IS cancer. So I am not surprised she has a high WBC count. It is cancer of the pancreas, the most common cancer ferrets get.
__________________
Ella: 3 year old female ferret
Nacho: ~8 year old male ferret

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-10-2010, 08:45 PM
*blackrose's Avatar
*blackrose *blackrose is offline
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 5,989
Default

I'm getting the results of the insulin test tomorrow when I go in to work, and hopefully we'll be able to get everything figured out then. If not I am going to be pitching a fit because if we are going to be doing anything it needs to be done NOW.

She's doing about the same. She had a really bad episode today, though. She couldn't walk and her hind legs kept giving out on her so she'd fall over - and of course, not being able to walk was panicking her so she'd just try harder and end up flopping around even more. Luckly I was in the room and just scooped her up, wrapped her in a blanket, crammed some honey in her mouth to up her bloodsugar, held her for a bit, and then put her up in her cage so she'd settle down and sleep. She took a nap and when she woke up she was fine and has been fine all evening.

I can tell already this is going to be hard. I had to watch my Lab struggle with what we believe was cancer (we never bioposied the tumour) and we just lost him in March. Granted his problem had nothing to do with insolinoma, but it's just hard having yet another one of your furkids develop a problem that you can't do anything about. First Rush, then Blackie, now Casey. We're three for three.
__________________
Cynder, Daddy's girl Little Lab muttly and Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever
~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-11-2010, 06:06 PM
*blackrose's Avatar
*blackrose *blackrose is offline
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 5,989
Default

Spoke with the vet today. They are still waiting on her insulin check to come back, but we went ahead and started her on meds anyway.

Prednisone, and something else. Can't remember what it is called.

After consulting with the vet over at Purdue, this is what they think is going on: She has insulinoma whose tumors have spread out of the pancreas and into other organs, or she has a combination of insulinoma and lymphoma. Either way, not so good.

The only way they could tell for sure is if they sedate her and perform an ultrasound to find the tumors. The next step would be to surgically remove them and hope that gets it all. Or we can just supplement with meds and hope for the best.

I decided to start with the meds and see what they do, and then worry about the ultrasound/surgery later.

Does anyone have any idea what would be the best treatment plan? I really don't want to put her through any more stress than she needs to be put through. At this point in time I just want to make her comfortable and help her live out the rest of her life. From my understanding the success rate of treatment for the lymphoma is slim to none, so it would be pointless to do surgery/chemo for that.

Also, are there any side effects of the meds that I should be looking out for?
__________________
Cynder, Daddy's girl Little Lab muttly and Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever
~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-11-2010, 06:57 PM
JessLough JessLough is offline
Love My Mutt <3
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 13,160
Default

Can you find out what the other med is called for me? Is it Diazoxide? Metronidazole?

With prednisone, ferrets get what we call a pred belly. In other words... it causes them to get fat.
Also, prednisone kills the immune system. So I would be very careful around her if/when you are sick, and limit pets she is around (other than Damion, of course).

Best treatment plan, IMHO, is to continue with meds, and to not put her under any more tests. It got to that point with Rogue, I COULD have done more tests to possibly figure more things out, but what kind of life is that? Also, you really need to think about quality vs quantity of life. Not saying she is ready to go now, but she will let you know when it is time, I say as long as the quantity is still there, keep her on the meds. But yah, at this point, if I were in your shoes, I would say enough with the testing, just keep her on meds until her days are lived out. ((((hugs)))
__________________
Ella: 3 year old female ferret
Nacho: ~8 year old male ferret

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-12-2010, 04:21 PM
*blackrose's Avatar
*blackrose *blackrose is offline
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 5,989
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
Can you find out what the other med is called for me? Is it Diazoxide? Metronidazole?

With prednisone, ferrets get what we call a pred belly. In other words... it causes them to get fat.
Also, prednisone kills the immune system. So I would be very careful around her if/when you are sick, and limit pets she is around (other than Damion, of course).

Best treatment plan, IMHO, is to continue with meds, and to not put her under any more tests. It got to that point with Rogue, I COULD have done more tests to possibly figure more things out, but what kind of life is that? Also, you really need to think about quality vs quantity of life. Not saying she is ready to go now, but she will let you know when it is time, I say as long as the quantity is still there, keep her on the meds. But yah, at this point, if I were in your shoes, I would say enough with the testing, just keep her on meds until her days are lived out. ((((hugs)))
Can't remember the name of the other drug and I don't feel like walking downstairs to get the perscription. lol It is a drug for stomach acid/digestion, I do know that. Neither of the two drugs you mentioned. I'm not entirely sure why it was perscribed. My dad said something about it offsetting some side effect of the Pred (he's a Pharmacist, so I had asked him about it), but I really don't know.

I was reading the side effects of the Prenisone today (picked some up this afternoon, will start her on it this evening) and it mentioned that it would lower the immune system. So now I have a question. I am sick at the moment - it started off as a cold yesterday, but I've been running a fever and feeling like sh*t all day today. Should I start her on the meds since I'm feeling so under the weather? I really don't want to give her whatever it is I have on top of what she is going through. She's never had a cold before, so I'm not sure how suspectible she'd be, but I don't want to take the chance. My dad's home so I guess I can ask him how likely it would be that she'd catch something from me if I'm just starting her on the drug.

And not to seem morbid, or anything, but how much longer do you think I can expect her to live? She's doing fine right now - besides having a much lower activity level, she's great and seems to be carrying on as business as usual. I'm going to be keeping a very close eye on her and I think when it gets to that point, I'll know it. I just wondered how long I most likely have left with her.
__________________
Cynder, Daddy's girl Little Lab muttly and Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever
~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:37 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site