Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 09-07-2010, 07:26 PM
Twin 2

Default Yay for Leave It!

Well, today was the first day I used leave it out of necessity with Traveler.

I've been just using it when training/or able to stop him from getting whatever I had told him to leave alone and he's doing great. I say leave it and his head whips around to look at me and he won't go near what he was told to leave. I've used mainly food but was upping it to toys lately.

Well, today I was out playing with him in the yard with the Flying Squirrel and the wind took it and the Frisbee landed on a yellow jacket nest we haven't gotten rid of and there was Traveler running full steam ahead and fully in drive to it. I yelled out "LEAVE IT" and he skidded to a halt immediately and whipped his head around to look at me and then stayed there until I ran up and got it off of the nest. I made a HUGE deal out of it and threw the Frisbee as fast as I could after for a reward and he seemed happy enough with that

Thank god for a smart dog
Old 09-07-2010, 10:45 PM
Top Dog

Awww, see how all that training pays off! Congrats!!!
Old 09-08-2010, 08:33 AM
Top Dog

Fantastic! There was a real-life situation where that "leave it" reeeeeeeeelly came in handy. Well done!
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 09-08-2010, 11:49 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Leave it and stop are my two most used cues. Glad your dog got it down pat. You sure saved Traveler a whole lot of misery.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 09-09-2010, 11:05 AM
Twin 2

Thank guys! I was so happy he listened and that I've been ultra careful with that command.

I haven't had to use Here yet in any situation when it really mattered but I'm hoping it's going to hold up because it's only ever been used with lots and lots of reward and fun at the other end and even when he's going the other direction he will stop and come to me then.

Only reason it's not ruined is because my family still thinks "come" is the command