Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 09-07-2010, 10:51 AM
just call me Nilly

Default Zoe needs vibes!

Came in to work today and thought Zoe was dead. She was laying in one of the hammocks and barely moving (I even picked up the hammock to get her to wake up and she didn't move until I actually removed it from the cage thinking she was dead and saw her breathing).

She's on my lap now, she's extremely lethargic. She took some watered down corn syrup, but won't eat anything else. She's barely moving. She seems to have a nosebleed, and I saw discharge that was rather bloody from her eyes. She's grinding her teeth and balling up her front feet, so I think she's hurting.

I don't think there's anything we can do at this point, but good thoughts of a smooth and easy passing would be much appreciated.

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010
Old 09-07-2010, 01:17 PM
just call me Nilly

Small update: She perked up when I ate my leftover pizza for lunch. I gave her a tiny peice of green pepper which she tried to eat but didn't have much luck with (she is having a hard time with her front paws, and wasn't using them to eat). We also split a blueberry in half and she eagerly mashed it around her face, making a big purple mess on the towel but I don't know if she actually ate any.

When I can't hold her or have her on my lap, I have her on a towel in a small box. Ordinarily I couldn't imagine leaving her unattended in something like this, but she's barely moving and isn't making any attempt to excape.

If she's still alive tonight I'll be bringing her home in the travel cage. I don't think she has much time left and I certainly don't want her dying alone.

Zap seems curious as to why Zoe's been out so much, hanging out by the front of the cage watching us. I took her out to see Zoe, she gave her a few kisses and scampered off.

Not a happy day.

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010
Old 09-07-2010, 07:39 PM
just call me Nilly

Update #2 (don't know if anyone is reading though...)

She's at home with me. She ate some beef with vegetable baby food eagerly, but can't seem to use her front paws very well, so can't eat anything that she has to hold in her paws. I've been giving her water in an eye dropper (she seems badly dehydrated).

She's been keeping her eyes bright and open since eating, but still isn't moving. I have her in my lap right now, on a towel. She's not moving at all.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:43 PM
Not a lurker

Aww I'm sorry to hear. Good vibes for Zoe!
Old 09-07-2010, 07:59 PM
swimming upstream

oh no--sending vibes to Zoe. Will you get her to the vet?
Old 09-07-2010, 08:04 PM
just call me Nilly

If it were up to me, absolutely I would, even if it were just to put her down and end this misery. Unfortunately I don't get to make that call. I'll suggest it if she's still like this in the morning and see what the boss says. I would LOVE if it was something that's just in need of a round of antibiotics and some fluids!

Old 09-07-2010, 08:05 PM
swimming upstream

I hope she can be helped--one way or the other. Vibes to her, and ((HUGS)) to you--it's not easy to be sitting round the clock like that.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:52 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

I'm sorry. I hope its something that's curable! BIG VIBES!
Old 09-07-2010, 10:56 PM
Very Food Agressive

I hope she can get better with a little something. She seems like a total sweetheart.

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:29 PM
Top Dog

The red discharge that you are describing from her nose and eyes is most likely porphyrin. They usually excrete it when they are sick or stressed out. Depending on how old she is, what you are describing sounds like she is getting ready to pass on.

My old boy Nester was a few months over two years old and he started to move around more slowly and seemed to not be using his back legs much, and he wasn't eating. I thought that he was going to be fine because he ate a piece of strawberry, so needless to say I was more than shocked when we found that he had passed on the next morning.

The best that you can do is hope for an easy passage. If she goes into respiratory distress it would be cruel not to euth, but usually the passing is peaceful for older ratties and there is no need to do anything but love them in their last moments. I'm so sorry that you're going through this. I honestly know how it is.