Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 09-07-2010, 11:02 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I took Casey in to the vet today for bloodwork to be done. The exotic animal clinic was closed (and after talking with a coworker it sounds like it might be closed permanently as the vet has been having serious health problems), so I had to take Casey by my work for the bloodwork. We don't treat exotic animals there, so I'm crossing my fingers that all goes well with her. The vet on staff today has handled/treated ferrets before so she is going to be the one looking at her. And unless I'm happy with the amount of knowledge the vet has on ferrets, I'll most likely be taking her over to Purdue for follow up appointments and treatment.

They hope they can figure out how to get the machines to the correct parameters to analyze ferret blood, but if they can't find the right settings they'll have to send it out for analysis, which will take a few days so I won't know anything right off the bat.

They hope to look at her after lunch and I will hopefully have some idea what is going on by this evening. She's become increasingly lethargic and wobbly, so I just want to figure out what is going on and start her on treatment.

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 09-07-2010, 05:49 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Just got her back from the vet's. They had to send the bloodwork out, but it will be back in tomorrow morning so I'll know the details when I stop by after class tomorrow afternoon.

They said she was a pro patient. One of the techs told me, "She kept licking me though," and I just laughed and said she LOVES to lick people. They did have to give her a mild brief sedative so they could draw the blood, because as soon as they had to rub the alcohol on her she went spastic. I've tried to give her a bath before and I see how she is like when she gets her feet wet - I don't doubt that they had problems! LOL

They did do a spot glucose level check, and while I can't for the life of me remember the exact value they told me, I'm fairly certain it was way too low. I'm almost thinking she said 62, but I could be wrong.

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~