Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 09-03-2010, 10:06 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Yep, he did some of that here.

Carrie's advice is excellent.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 09-07-2010, 09:45 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
Guarding me? Yeah. He's always been a little guardy around Mollie with food, but I assumed that was because if he growled at her she would drop what she had and back off, so he learned how to get what he wanted from her. This is why I have been feeding them together. I think CP may have mentioned this going on in her house (the human guarding) and the only thing I could think of was that Izzy was top dog here before he left and with her gone his chance to guard surfaced.

Not quite sure why it hasn't been going on in the last few months and is starting now though? My new schedule is really the only change that I can think of in the past few weeks? Or that Ryan was here?

He is going to be 5 in January, I would think he ended puberty a long while ago.

I really would rather not because I know this won't be enforced by the rest of my family, if the getting up and walking away doesn't help then I'll consider it more heavily. Interestingly enough he does not guard when on my bed, only on the couch. Frodo and Inky both regularly sleep on my bed with me at the same time without so much as a raised lip.
I think that's the main thing...if he doesn't resource guard or isn't being too bossy about it, being on the bed is fine. The point is, to eliminate the idea in his head that acting snarky works for what he's looking for. (attention or whatever. If the bed isn't a problem, then I wouldn't worry about it. But take advantage of other contexts to teach him that the things he likes are contingent upon his polite behavior.

Lyric went through a period where he started resource guarding me from Jose`. But it only happened in one room of the house....lol...the den, when I was on the computer. Otherwise, they were buddies. I didn't keep him off my bed because he couldn't care less if Jose` were on the bed or if we were outside playing or in the other parts of the house, he was just fine. So, I did "exercises" in the den. He was brought in and out, in and out over and over and was lavished with treats when he was in the room with Jose`. (Jose` was kept under a chair that had several cross rails on it, so he was fairly well protected) When he was taken out, he got nothing, no treats, no attention. I gave him the cold shoulder a little bit the rest of the time UNLESS Jose` was in the room. Within a couple of weeks, he seemed to think Jose` being in the den was a fine idea. LOL.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 09-07-2010, 12:17 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Yea, I wouldn't worry about him being on the bed or couch. When he was here he got guardy if he was near me, whether we were on the couch or if I was sitting on the floor with him or if I was at my desk and he was on the floor next to me. It had nothing to do with being on furniture.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team