Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-31-2010, 03:35 PM
Top Dog

Default Is stalking breed specific?

I was just wondering if stalking behavior (I don't know what else to call it) is specific to certain types of dogs or if all dogs do it. Like when you throw a ball and the dog runs after it but then starts walking really slowly at it and finally pounces on it.

I've just never seen it before until Tucker and was wondering if lots of dogs do it.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 08-31-2010, 03:39 PM
I'm All Ears

I'm pretty sure it's just related to prey drive. Mia never stalks balls, they're too fun for her- she goes 200 mph after them lol. But Mia crouches down and stalks ducks and some other animals. Tail goes down, head goes down, she tenses up and crawls low to the ground. I've always heard it was related to more advanced prey drive. That said I do think it's more common in some breeds. BCs for example are generally very slinky.

Paps in general are pretty catlike in their movements I've found. They like to stalk and pounce and climb.

Last edited by Laurelin; 08-31-2010 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:44 PM
Top Dog

Dunno, but Lucy does it all the time. On our walks, she's generally in front of me, but if she sees a squirrel or a bird she'll drop back and start slllllowly creeping up on whatever poor critter is about to get a heart attack.

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 08-31-2010, 03:47 PM
Twin 2

I agree with Laurelin, I think you can see it in any dog and have seen all my dogs do it at one time or another. But will find it's more prevalent in certain breeds or types of dogs.

Traveler who is a through and through herding breed does the crouch and stalk or lay down and wait behavior all the time
Old 08-31-2010, 03:53 PM
I'm All Ears

I've actually seen this behavior more in my papillons than my herders (who were shelties). Then again shelties are a much more upright style herding breed. They were more apt to come in for the heel nip than anything else. (Summer heel nips too though)

My favorite is when Mia stalks Summer. Summer seems to never appreciate it.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:26 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

We have a Westie that stalks the other dogs at daycare, it is hilarious!

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:31 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

It is a prey drive type of behavior, but I would agree it's more common in some breeds. Certainly not a behavior seen in my malis very often ~ they're more the "crash into it head first, do a few somersaults, look like we meant to do that and figure out what happened later" type.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 08-31-2010, 05:07 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Yeah, I think in herding dogs you will see it in a more modified way than some of the breeds that haven't had their prey drive modified so much. And depending on how their herding style was modified, you'll see it differently. Auggie stalks birds, but he won't stalk squirrels or rabbits, he just flat out chases them. Then again, squirrels and rabbits will flee and flee almost if not immediately, engaging his chase drive - but birds don't always move right away, especially pigeons who are pretty dumb and tend to stay put until the last possible second. I suppose if he didn't have context for squirrels and rabbits that mean "chase this thing and go fast" and they didn't run immediately, he might stalk them, but he already knows they will run and he can chase them, so that's what he does. He's been able to stalk up to and catch birds before, though so he's been rewarded for a slow stalk with them, so he's more likely to repeat that behaviour with them... and unfortunately for me, since I'm not really delighted with my dog snagging birds, he gets better at it the more practice he is allowed. =P

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 08-31-2010, 05:53 PM
BusterLove

Buster occasionally does it when stalking an animal. His usualy tactic is find it and go flat out at it though.

Quinn is awesome to watch, she stalks birds when we're out and when she's playing witht he other dogs she'll stalk towards them slowly and lie down. Its the coolest thing to watch.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:15 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrose_s View Post
Quinn is awesome to watch, she stalks birds when we're out and when she's playing witht he other dogs she'll stalk towards them slowly and lie down. Its the coolest thing to watch.
Same here with Traveler, I LOVE watching him. I always get a giggle when he does just what you discribe Quinn doing to other dogs but then the other dog doesn't even agknowledge him