Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 09-03-2010, 04:52 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I have had ferrets and Guinea Pigs, so I'll tell you what I think of them.

Guinea Pigs:

I LOVE piggies! I unfortunately had to rehome mine due to my ferrets trying to kill them and my monetary situation becoming tight enough I couldn't care for them properly, but I would love to have them again.

They are extremley personable. The one thing I miss the most about them is when I walk in the room I don't hear them wheeking in greeting. They would see me and give them most adorable "wheeek-wheeeeek!" noise and come up to the cage bars for nose rubs.

They do need a proper diet, and that can get a tad bit pricey depending on what your options are. Good quality timothy pellets as a staple, with grass hay (timothy, orchard, blue grass, etc.) being offered at all times. They also need fresh veggies at least once a day. Mine loved romaine lettuce, carrots, peppers, cucumbers, and spinach.
Baths don't hurt (although I never bathed mine), they do need their nails kept trimmed (mine were always good for it), and they come in a wide variety of coat textures, lengths, and colors.

They do better in pairs, as they are very sociable, but boars may fight. If you don't want to be stuck with a female/female pair, you can neuter the boys.
Unless their cage is just HUGE (10.5 square feet for a pair of pigs), they really do need out of cage time every day. When mine would run around they would follow me like puppies. LOL I only had 6sq feet of cage space for them, and if I skipped a day of out of cage time Louie would get very depressed/anxious and would practically try to leap out of the cage every time I opened the door.

Young pigs are really wiggly and hard to handle, but I highly, highly reccomend adopting an older pig from a rescue. You wouldn't believe how many Guinea Pigs are surrendered. I've had four pigs, three of which were rescues - and my rescues were my favorites! I mean, how can you not love this face! (I miss my piggers. )

www.gunieapigcages.com has a really good forum on it with a lot of informative members who would love to answer any of your questions!

Ferrets:

Oh, boy, where to start. These little guys are not for the faint of heart. They poop everywhere, they tear everything up, and they are constantly getting in to things. But, I love them.

Kits are CRAZY. (And incredibley cute!) They require a LOT of time and energy. Just like puppies they each have their own quirks and exercise needs, but on average I would say if it can't be trusted loose all day, at least plan on two hours in the morning of playtime and two hours in the evening of playtime at a bare minimum. My two are satisfied with less now, but they are seniors. And Dameon will still keep me up all night if he doesn't feel he had enough "awake" time (even though I have them loose in my large bedroom from the time I get up to the time I go to bed) by digging at the cage door and chewing on the bars - and they are in a Ferret Nation 142 for a whole eight hours while I sleep.

Ferrets are about as expensive as a cat or two, so don't go in to one thinking their upkeep will be cheap. It isn't. The litter and the food costs get up there, especially if you have more than two. (And don't forget all of the hammocks, hidey houses, beds, blankets, treats, and toys you are going to buy every single time you walk into a store because your ferret *needs* that.)

Litterbox training can be a pain. Mine are "litterbox trained" and they still poop elsewhere about 15% of the time. Any corner is fair game, and if they pick a corner you better put a box there. It gets annoying very quickly and that is really the one thing I dislike about them. (Having them on carpet in my bedroom doesn't help, either!) They climb, they dig, they raid fish tanks, and they push everything they can off of shelves just to see if it will break.

They are very friendly, super playful, some are cuddly, they can walk on a leash, they have wicked teeth and need to be taught serious bite inhibition when they are kits, their nails must be kept trim, they can be taught tricks, they have a faint odor, their poop stinks, and they are AMAZING. You'll either love 'em or hate 'em, I don't think there is room for in between. They are like perpetual kittens, only these guys dook and hop around! LOL

If you are seriously considering some ferrets (not just one, remember...at LEAST two!) I highly reccomend picking up the book Ferret's for Dummies. It has everything you need to know and more.

And besides their pooping habits, I don't think I'd change anything about them. They are great. I mean, just look at him.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:03 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
If you are seriously considering some ferrets (not just one, remember...at LEAST two!) I highly reccomend picking up the book Ferret's for Dummies. It has everything you need to know and more.
I (politely and) respectfully disagree, I think ferrets can do just fine singly... with the right amount of attention
Mine have really really good litterbox habbits. I think it depends on the individual - and where they're from (what pet store (yes, some are actually worse than others)l vs breeder, maybe?) Maybe I'm just lucky! *knocks on wood*

But shame on me for forgetting "THE " book! Yes, Do get "Ferrets For Dummies" if your seriously considering ferrets!

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 09-03-2010, 05:19 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Thanks again for all of the responses! Even if I don't respond to each one I am definitely reading them all and appreciate the input.

Another question about the ferrets, when you say out of cage time, does that mean time out of the cage, directly interacting with the ferrets. For example if I do get a ferret(s) I will have a whole room for them, as I mentioned before, so it will be ferretproof. Would I be able to let them out and also multitask like doing homework, etc. while they were out?

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:33 PM
Wookie Collie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
Thanks again for all of the responses! Even if I don't respond to each one I am definitely reading them all and appreciate the input.

Another question about the ferrets, when you say out of cage time, does that mean time out of the cage, directly interacting with the ferrets. For example if I do get a ferret(s) I will have a whole room for them, as I mentioned before, so it will be ferretproof. Would I be able to let them out and also multitask like doing homework, etc. while they were out?
Oh definitely. Mine are let out 2-3 hours almost every day (sometimes longer) and usually only get about a half hour of my dedicated time. Since I have a pair they happily play with each other. Their playroom is loaded with fun, safe things to play with like a dig box, lots of snuggly spots, and some cat and ferret toys. Their playroom is right next to my office and I'm always hearing jinglies, crinkles and "dook dook dook DOOK dook dook!"

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 09-03-2010, 06:02 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Thanks Allie! I know I could definitely give them a few hours of out of cage time today, but I don't think I have the time for their undivided attention that long. With Balou, when I am in school I would let him out of the cage while I did school work (or read, internet, whatever is what I have been doing lately).

Old 09-03-2010, 06:48 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Just expect distractions and a few laughs!

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 09-03-2010, 07:04 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brattina88 View Post
Just expect distractions and a few laughs!
Oh I'm used to distractions. Balou likes to grab my papers/books and try to flee with them, and if I lay on my stomach he will run up and down my back, lol!

Old 09-03-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brattina88 View Post
I (politely and) respectfully disagree, I think ferrets can do just fine singly... with the right amount of attention
Mine have really really good litterbox habbits. I think it depends on the individual - and where they're from (what pet store (yes, some are actually worse than others)l vs breeder, maybe?) Maybe I'm just lucky! *knocks on wood*

But shame on me for forgetting "THE " book! Yes, Do get "Ferrets For Dummies" if your seriously considering ferrets!
I agree that you can have a single ferret. Casey was a single girl for the first year of her life. It is just so much more fun to have two! And I do know that Casey really enjoys having Dameon around, especially when I don't have time to play with her.
And my two are *too* bad about the litterbox. They do run to a litterbox (that is in their chosen corners), but these past few months one of them has taken to pooping beside the litterbox, not in it. My coworkers ferrets are the same way, and they are breeder ferrets, so I think it is just ferrets. LOL

And yes, when I just had Casey she required a lot more one on one attention. I actually bought Dameon to keep her company, as I knew with school I wouldn't have time to actively play with her. Now really the only time I spend with them is if they are hyper when I am in the room in the evening. Other than that, they just amuse themselves throughout the day.

Hehehe, and my sister hates doing homework in the room when the ferrets are out because they will run up into her backpack and steal her pencils and erasers...and when all of the pencils have been taken, they try to take the one she is writing with! I love my ferti, I really do.

Old 09-04-2010, 02:09 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

When I'm on rat forums, I want a rat. When I'm on ferret forums, I want a ferret. And when Balou is out running around and being uber cute then I think maybe I should just get another chin

Old 09-04-2010, 04:15 PM

I have the perfect solution....get one (or two ^_^) of each!