Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 08-31-2010, 04:04 PM
Top Dog

It depends on the rat, but, as a rule, it's very easy.

Rats are EXTREMELY social creatures. Males can be a bit territorial, but after a few squabbles, they'll fit right in. On occasion, there will be a male that will not tolerate any other rats, but that is very rare to come by.

Generally, what I would do when introducing a new rat to a cage, is put the newbie in the bathtub (or anywhere where the resident rats don't generally hang), dab some vanilla extract on him, and put the resident rats in there one by one to greet him.

You MUST quarantine all newbie rats for at least two weeks, though, especially if you got them from a pet store. Disease kills FAST in these guys.

Oh, and never, ever introduce a young baby (under six weeks) to an adult male. He will, more than likely, kill him.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:23 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Thanks PicklePaige!

Does anyone have more suggestions for ferret or rat forums? I am going to join hte one Becca suggested

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:59 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
Thanks PicklePaige!

Does anyone have more suggestions for ferret or rat forums? I am going to join hte one Becca suggested
Not a forum, but if you go to Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area - FAQ's there are a bunch of articles they wrote about ferret care and ferrets. Ferret.com Forum is a good forum that I am on, though

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 08-31-2010, 05:02 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Ferret.com has a forum... these two are my favs
The Holistic Ferret Forum - Home
Ferret Harmony ~ Index

To me, a ferret is like the combination of a puppy and a cat. They can be destructive like a puppy. But they are also sooo cute, and funny like a puppy, clumbsy like a puppy, and they also need attention, consistancy, and socialization like a puppy, JMHO. They play with toys, and love to (of course, rats do too). Ferrets and a cat teaser = oooh and the squirt bottle : lol
Of course, if you don't need your ferret to be super social (like to go to fun events or shows) you really don't need to socialize too much. They're pretty adjustable, social creatures What I do like, is they can be pretty easily littertrained, and that's a lot easier to clean than the rat cage.
From someone who has owned BOTH rats, and ferrets, I can say *I* prefer ferrets, but not every person will. The rats are messy, even when they are litterbox trained (which oddly enough my male was MUCH more litter box trained than the females) they still dribble pee a lot, and that can be messy :/ I can't cuddle rats or have them shoulder ride before I go to work for risk of having to change pee clothes. yuck.

Similarities - they can both be affectionate, crave human attention (and NEED it), can be trained (clicker - I've done with both rats and ferrets. Izzy is deaf even, and she comes to flicking the lights).
Ferrets NEED more attention, and need to be out of the cage more. They are also true carnivores and needs a good, quality diet. I make Suebees mix for the rats, it is super easy and super cheap. I feed the ferrets raw, almost exactly to the dogs - which can be "difficult" depending on who you are.

I think cage size is something you should consider in what you are looking for. Of course, rats would LOVE a FN or CN sized cage, but they can to well in a smaller cage. After getting a FN for the ferrets, I think most ferret cages are too small... especially the guinea pig sized ones in the pet stores but, heck, I think those are too small for g.pigs too

Edit: I just thought of something!! Ferrets needs shots, and rats do not. Also, if you take your ferret to events you'll have to get them ADV tested (and you should NOT take your fuzz to an event that does not require them to be tested ) Food for thought

I deffinatly suggest rescue, or a privately bred ferret. I can help you find one, if you'd like LOL

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 08-31-2010, 05:33 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Thanks Dana!

Quote:
I think cage size is something you should consider in what you are looking for.
I am planning on a huge cage. Balou has a huge cage (QC's Chinchilla Mansion) and I know ferrets need larger than chins, especially if there is going to be more than one to a cage. That is one reason why I would wait until my mom/sister moved out, because then I would have a whole room just for the cage and the ferrets.

Quote:
I deffinatly suggest rescue, or a privately bred ferret. I can help you find one, if you'd like LOL
That would be awesome! I am leaning definitely more toward rescue at this point, though all the sites I have been to say either must be over 21 (I'll be 22 in 11 months, so that may work by the time I am ready) or I am out of their service area.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:16 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
Thanks Dana!

I am planning on a huge cage. Balou has a huge cage (QC's Chinchilla Mansion) and I know ferrets need larger than chins, especially if there is going to be more than one to a cage. That is one reason why I would wait until my mom/sister moved out, because then I would have a whole room just for the cage and the ferrets.

That would be awesome! I am leaning definitely more toward rescue at this point, though all the sites I have been to say either must be over 21 (I'll be 22 in 11 months, so that may work by the time I am ready) or I am out of their service area.
If you could dedicate a whole room to the ferrets, that would be *awesome*. And really, rescues want you to be 21? Weird... here it is as long as you are 18, or your parent/guardian gives the ok for them (although, here 18 is the legal age you are an adult and can do most things). I was 19 when I adopted Harley, and did not need a parent with me.
I do suggest, if you have the time, that if you do go the rescue route, get involved with the rescue beforehand. Unfortunately, unless they know you, atleast here, most rescues will not be very open to adopting to a first time ferret owner, however, it is not always set in stone!

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 09-01-2010, 01:48 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

If I can't dedicate a room, then I probably won't get one, only because the last thing I need is Frodo to stand outside their cage all night and pester them (which is what he does to Balou, who is in my sister's room now), and I don't think my sister or mom are up for more roomates at the moment, lol.

Though I was scrolling through this thread and she walked behind me and said "I want a ferret!" cause she saw the sig pictures She doesn't *really* want a ferret though, lol.

And I would try and get involved with rescue, though I don't believe there are any real local ones here, maybe with more digging.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:56 AM
Rude and Not Ginger

When we get our own house I plan on having a ferret or four
Old 09-02-2010, 12:21 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
When we get our own house I plan on having a ferret or four
I think the four is more likely Good luck having just one

Old 09-02-2010, 09:37 PM
Squishy face

I'm late in this thread, and I see that the OP is leaning toward ferrets, but I'd like to say a few things about guinea pigs, for the lurkers .

They smell IF you bed them on wood shavings and/or don't clean the cage often enough. Mine are in C & C cages, bedded on fleece blankets, and as long as I pick up the poos every day, they really have little to no odor.

Their sociability varies among idividuals, and I have noticed those obtained straight from a pet store tend to be less amenable to handling than those who have been properly socialized and handled from birth. I bred and raised one litter of three piggies, and all three were very friendly. I handled them from the day they were born. I kept one, his name was Piglet. He would show obvious joy when I would get home, and would try to climb out of his cage to me. He would never run from my hand. He adored attention, and loved to hang out with me.

There was a piggie I got from the animal shelter who I named Rose, who was absolutely TERRIFIED of me at first, she would back into a corner, freeze, and SCREAM in fear when I reached my hand in the cage. I would just hold her quietly for a while every day, and she turned out to be very sweet little thing, and loved to be stroked, and got to the point she no longer feared me or my hand.

And I can't forget Kanga. She loved nothing more than to be held and doted upon. Attention was her LIFE. She was so sweet, she would give me little piggie kisses. Before Kanga was moved into a C&C cage, she escaped from her other one a few times, she was smart (and its true, most of them aren't that bright, lol)!

Guinea pigs really are individuals. I've had some that loved veggies and hated fruit, I've had some that only liked a select few veggies, like Romaine lettuce, and had huge sweet tooths. I've even had a few that cared little for hay, but loved their pellets. The two I have now, my male likes his pellets better than hay, and my female likes her hay better than pellets. My female really doesn't like attention at all, so I leave her be. My male runs from my hand, but once you catch him he enjoys being pet and he'll stretch out. (Here's a secret, males tend to be a little more sociable than females).

And here's one more tidbit, you think shorthairs are a pain to take care of? Try having a long-haired one! I adopted one from a shelter once, and it was a real headache keeping his hair untangled. I started just keeping it trimmed up, especially around his rear, to keep the tangling/poopy ickyness to a minimum.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!