Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 08-31-2010, 06:01 PM
F150 and a .30-06

I will let Rommy post her breeder if she wants.

index (Borzoi)

Home - Groundsniffin Hounds (Beagles)

At Gran Kennels we are Breeders of exceptional quality Miniature Dachshunds (both smooth & long-haired), and Welsh Terriers. (Daxie)

Foxfire Dobermans - DPCA Accomplishments (Dobermans)

Weerob Whippets here in Canada, but they dont have a site.

Windkist Kennels (Beagles)

I could go on but Im not on my home computer so I dont have the sites saved

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 10-14-2010, 07:29 PM
Top Dog

I visited a small dog breeder once--I don't want to say her kennel name in public, but I can assure you anyone looking at her health testing and the dogs she produced would consider her a reputable breeder. Breeding to better the breed and so on. Also well-known within her breed.

So, as I say, I arranged a visit, being interested in the breed in question and being as I was travelling through the area she was in. She had one litter of puppies at that point who were nicely contained in a sort of soft-sided playpen in a bedroom. There was a male dog running around with a bellyband on and two or three other dogs trotting around the house. In addition, the lady clearly knew her stuff. "Wow, this is great!" I was thinking.

Then the lady took me to a different part of the house. It looked like an animal shelter. Stacks and stacks of cages, each with a dog in it staring out. Easily forty dogs. They started barking excitedly and the lady grabbed a spray bottle of water and started screaming at them to shut up. She let them out and they ran around the yard, but they were popped right back in the cages as soon as we went back into the house.

Her conversation was oddly sterile compared to most pet owners. Everything she talked about in relation to her dogs was either about racking up points and championships or how awesome the conformation on this or that dog was . . . Never anything about a funny habit a dog might have or about their personalities. I made one or two overtures talking about my own pets--just trying to share some funny stories with a fellow pet owner, you know--and she just ignored me and steered the conversation right back to ribbons.

This was a toy breed bred for companionship that some breeders claim are unhappy unless they spend an extensive amount of time with their people.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:15 PM
Professional Nerd

The line that my AmStaf is from was founded by a guy that started in the late 60s. I'd guess that he'd have 15 - 20 dogs at his place. He's a wealthy man and until recently had a full time employee that lived on his property as a kennel manager. In the years that my friend was his kennel manager, he typically had 1 or 2 litters a year, and often took puppies back from litters off of his stud dogs. The dogs are heavily linebred on his foundation bitch. The dogs are healthy, long lived, and generally have more drive than average for the breed.

I think that developing your own line can be done with great concern to the dogs, but sadly, I don't think that the above breeder is the norm. It seems that so many with the same accomplishments do it at the expense of high quality care for the dogs.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:31 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

Well, Paps are rare as hens teeth in South Africa and I am helping establish a line out of two first gen dogs, Travis's dad is imported from Australia and Riley's parents are English imports. That does not mean I have a million dogs. MY dogs quality of life is first and foremost.

When I do breed I will be keeping any worthy females and homing males on either performance or show contracts. I will continue with my bitches but don't see myself having another stud besides Travis. I will also only use Travis for one litter out of Riley. There are plenty of STUNNING males up country for me to use with Riley.

So no, my opinion is that you shouldn't have those sorts of numbers.

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 10-15-2010, 03:18 PM
Just try me..

Wait define successful... if we are talking strictly conformation.. that is pretty easy (relative to other traits) to breed for. It shouldn't be hard to get 80% success rate when a knowledgeable person with a good eye for what is 'in' breeds.

I would say that breeding for speed, or working ability would be harder as these aren't traits you can 'see'. There are more variables etc.

That said those are stupid numbers. And it depends on what you mean by establishing a line. I know of a breeder (in JRTs) who breeds 2-6 litters a year and has very consistent looking (ie you can look at it and say "thats X's dogs) AND working dogs.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:02 AM
Top Dog

I think that a kennel name gets established when the dogs are winning shows and competitions, not sheer numbers.
Just like with unknown race horses, they are worth nothing except when they win-the winners are then sought out to breed/breed to.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:29 PM
Professional Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachshunds4me View Post
I think that a kennel name gets established when the dogs are winning shows and competitions, not sheer numbers.
Just like with unknown race horses, they are worth nothing except when they win-the winners are then sought out to breed/breed to.

I think more than just being a kennel name is implied, but the physical stamp on the dogs. I can look at different AmStafs & APBTs and often have a good idea where they came from just by what they look like.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:38 PM
Top Dog

I understand but for a start up kennel you'd need to acquire dogs from somewhere...and they'll bear the "physical stamp" of where they came from, won't they?
I mean, breeding 10 litters in a year isn't going to change them significantly, or is that the point, to achieve a significant change in looks or appearance?
Old 10-18-2010, 05:15 PM
Professional Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachshunds4me View Post
I understand but for a start up kennel you'd need to acquire dogs from somewhere...and they'll bear the "physical stamp" of where they came from, won't they?
I mean, breeding 10 litters in a year isn't going to change them significantly, or is that the point, to achieve a significant change in looks or appearance?

I suppose to bring them as close as possible to your interpretation of the breed standard as possible.

For example, the bloodline that Grant comes from tends to produce leggier dogs with more drive than a lot of AmStafs. When I have him next to another dog of his breed, he is the same height but often longer in leg and weighs much less. For example...

Both dogs meet the breed standard, and both would win under different judges who interpret the breed standard in different ways. This is why dogs belonging to different breeders and from different bloodlines look differently, yet are still members of the same breed bred to the same standard. Yes, you can mix and match the dogs from breeders that you obtain from that meet your opinion of perfection.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:27 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat09Tails View Post
There is a conflict in my mind with establishing a line of dogs bearing my kennel name and the suggested numbers of dogs it takes to do so. One breeder I spoke with said if I bred normal size dogs that a minimum of ten litters a year was needed to establish a kennel name
You breed one litter of dogs and it has your kennel name on it, and technically you have just established a "name". IMO, all it takes to establish a good name is to breed quality dogs, period. You could do that in one litter!

A friend of mine bred her first litter, and it contained a stunning dog that set the ring on fire (and a couple of champion littermates as well), was a quality producer and people flocked to breed to him. It took one litter to establish herself as a breeder of quality.

Quality, not quantity.