Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 10-09-2004, 01:36 AM
Big Dog

Angry Going insane, PLEASEEEE help me

In another thread i had informed you of Apollo's pooping in the house after the smell. We've stopped that. He started to pee and we stopped that too. But now this is ridiculous. his Seperation anixiety is getting worse. I let him outside before i leave, and i leave all the lights on, the computer on, the stereo on, the fish light on everything to give the impression that i am still here. He was fine for a while but now it's starting to get so frustrating that im going crazy. It's hard NOT to be mad at him! I give him a hug and a kiss and tell him he's a good boy EVERYTIME i come home and since i lost my car, i have to use my mom's car and she doesnt want him in the backseat because he sheds.........So! We have to leave him home, he started to bark.. and bark and bark and whine nad bark and eventualy i bought him a nylon muzzle to wear for the short period im gone every day just to pick up steve at night. He's fine during the day when i leave him but at night when i go to get him hell breaks loose. My little hell-dog SOMEHOW.. Not sure how, dug the HELL out of the basement couch. I put the cushions up becuase that's how i liket hem when i am there and when i cam back they are knocked all over the place like a 2 year old had a birthday party. And then there it was, the GIANT POO!!!! He'd been out like i said JUST before i left and over 10 times today becuase he'd been begging to go outside and he crapped every time. Im starting to think it's due to the fact i leave him at home and he's doig it out of spite i can't take much more of this can someone PLEASE help me break the Anxiety? I'm losing my mind!!!
Old 10-09-2004, 05:55 AM
Felurian

I think maybe it's time for crate training. He's definitely training YOU right now. Time to turn that around.

The crate's not for punishment, but a haven for him to retreat to when you're gone. You need some good advice from someone who's familiar with crate training, as I am not. Brattina comes to mind . . .
Old 10-09-2004, 09:36 AM
Top Dog

I crate trained Brady and it was worth it. I do have a fenced in back yard for him during the day while I am at work, but he sleeps in his crate at night. He willingly goes in there. you can't put them in there for punishment though. It HAS to be positively reinforced or it will never work. i give Brady a treat still to this day every time he goes in there. Sometimes if we are just going to the store or something, he will go in there if he does not feel like going outside, because I still don't necessarily trust him alone in the house yet. He gets a hold of shoes and important papers so i would still rather him have supervision. But crate training is wonderful and has really worked well, if I didn't crate train him he would have been out of control. I highly recommend it, but as I said make sure you make it a positive experience. Put a nice blanket in there with a good chew toy (or two) so your dog does not get bored and then when you put him in give him a treat he really likes and tell him good dog. Now I just tell Brady to go to bed and he walks in there and waits for his treat. sometimes he just goes in there to sleep too on his own. Let me know how he does.
Old 10-09-2004, 11:44 AM
Big Dog

I'd happily leave apollo outside, we too have a fenced yard. But he barks as if he's being brutalized when he's left outside alone. He also digs underneath fences and can climb them. He escaped from my aunts fenced in yard becuase Steve and I went inside. So we figured if we left him INSIDE with some familiarities of what i normally do when im there then he'd be okay. uhm. WRONG lol.... The only time he'd be going in the crate is when we leave and there's nobody here to watch him. So it wouldn't be for punishment, like i said, hes not pooping on the floor anymore while we're right there but now he's doing it for spite LOL. he's like "You wanna leave me here alone? I'll crap on the rug so u get to pick it up" and he's a dustpan dog... meaning my pooper scooper is an old dustpan lol, im sure you can relate renee, you've got rather large doggies urself!!
I'm going to go to a few different pet stores when i get a chance and try and find the best price. The stores around here are so strange. Some don't even know diddley squat about animals! I just want this craziness to end before im admitted into the psychiactric ward. My personal profile will say "Lost mind do to doggy seperation anxiety" lol. Thanks for your help i'll keep you updated as we go along.
Old 10-09-2004, 03:05 PM
Are you dead yet?

Ahhhh sounds like fun. Two words for you.

CRATE HIM.

He is bored and getting destructive. IMO the kindest and safest thing you can do for him is to stuff a kong for him, and crate him when you leave. He can freak out and bark and dig all he wants in the crate, he'll realize that it's NO fun at all and just relax. It also helps if you turn a TV on for him while you're gone so it's not just eerie silence, in a metal cage.

He will bark in the crate, no doubt about it, but if either of these is a possibility, there won't be a problem:
1.) Inside the house, he won't be loud enough to disturb any neighbors
2.) He might bark himself hoarse, where all he will be able to do is rasp, and you will barely be able to hear him. (Dakota did this)
Old 10-09-2004, 03:44 PM
Big Dog

Well then i guess there's only one thing for me to do and that's to buy a crate
How much are they canadian prices. I'd probably need a large crate, he's 50lbs. I'll be buying one next wednesday when the money rollllls in lol
Old 10-09-2004, 08:33 PM
Felurian

I'd suggest doing some homework on the internet looking at crate designs and different prices. That way you'll have some idea of what you're looking at and won't be at the mercy of a sales clerk without a clue.
Old 10-10-2004, 12:39 PM
Big Dog

I wouldn't trust the sales clerks in this city for the life of me. Whenever you ask them a question, especially the young ones, they are like "uhhhhhmmm Hmmmm let me get someone who can help you" what the heck, ur supposed to be able to help me! They don't hire you to mingle with the other co-workers and have chats about whos' hot or not at highschool. Blah... Last night, we took apollo to my friends house, that way someone could watch him while her and I went to the movies which was a beautiful break for me LOL then we met up at a local coffee shop and all hell broke loose. I thought Apollo would be okay cause normally he is if you can see him through a window he doesn't do much damage except for bark excessively NOT THIS TIME!!! HE chewed in a STRAIGHT LINE right through her seat belt!
her boyfriend had to sit in the back with me becuase if we were to have gotten into an accident the little threads that were left would have resulted in him going through the windsheild, so thanks to my canine's anxiety disorder, i am now out more money that i don't really have to replace a seat belt in my friends car! I'm almost considering building him a fence down in the basement, lining the walls with rubber padding and putting padding on the floor as well and then electrifying everything else. I'm just kidding i'd never do that.
He's like a little dinosaur, im sure you all know how tightly knit seat belts are... i would have figured if he chewed through it, it would have been in a jagged line! It wasn't... It was straight like it had been cut, that's scary, im glad he's docile and wouldn't bite any of us.
Old 10-10-2004, 08:42 PM
Felurian

It sounds like you've got a potential tyrant on your hands. I'm going to strongly suggest that you find a copy of either the training books or video from the Monks of New Skete. If there's a used bookstore near you that's a good place to start. They're available over the internet, too, form the website.

Apollo's going to keep testing your limits. That's not to say he's not a wonderful, loving, lovable little creature, he's just going to be a handful, but the ones that try us and "prove" the relationship are often the most rewarding.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:08 PM
Are you dead yet?

Hmm.. I think in Canadian $ it would be about $100 for a large crate. I'm not sure, I got mine on eBay for $50 and a small cow would fit inside. If I would have gotten it from petco or another pet store, it would have cost me hundreds.

UHHHHH stupid sales clerks? Hmm.. Maybe like the one I encountered today at petsmart. I asked them if they carried pinch collars in small sizes (Ripley needs a collar that won't hurt the vertebrae in his neck if he pulls on it) and she said "We have pinch collars!"
So I said: "Do you have small, lightweight ones for a small dog?" And she said "Yeah, there are pinch collars over here."
So, we get over there, and she shows me a CHECK CHAIN!
And I tell her that the check chain is NOT a pinch collar. She asked what a pinch collar was, and I figured that maybe they called it a "prong collar" there so I told her that.. Well, of course, she didn't know.
Sooooo, she says "oh ok let me find someone who knows what that is." I just told her "forget it" and looked for it myself. All they had were the super heavy huge ones that would be too large for even a rottweiler.

If petsmart hires these people as clerks to HELP the customers, shouldn't they at least know what a pinch collar is? Sheeeeesh.