Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-26-2010, 02:58 PM
Linds's Avatar
Linds Linds is offline
Twin 2
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 6,485
Default Swing Finish

Ok, so I kinda feel silly being intimidated by the swing finish but I am I've never trained it before and just wanted people's opinion on how to go about training it

I want to do it with minimal luring if possible and yes I do use a clicker so don't hesitate to say mark the behavior. I also want a left and right finish so I would assume that I should just make sure that from the start I do it on both sides without favoring one or the other?

Sooo, idea's please! How did you all train it?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-26-2010, 03:08 PM
MafiaPrincess's Avatar
MafiaPrincess MafiaPrincess is offline
Obvious trollsare Obvious
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ontario
Posts: 6,124
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
I also want a left and right finish so I would assume that I should just make sure that from the start I do it on both sides without favoring one or the other?
They look nothing alike so you can train one without the other and it won't matter.
__________________

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles


Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-26-2010, 03:09 PM
Saeleofu's Avatar
Saeleofu Saeleofu is offline
Jelly baby?
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Kansas
Posts: 9,013
Default

I use luring + clicker...but I only use a food lure 3 times before I get rid of it.
__________________


Vortex Canine - Custom Harnesses and Leashes

"Never cruel nor cowardly. Never give up. Never give in."
~The Doctor
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-26-2010, 03:11 PM
Linds's Avatar
Linds Linds is offline
Twin 2
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 6,485
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MafiaPrincess View Post
They look nothing alike so you can train one without the other and it won't matter.
I don't mean going around me, I mean a swing on both sides, identical behavior but a mirror

I also want a fun pop in his step at the end, I know that will come later though
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-26-2010, 03:12 PM
MafiaPrincess's Avatar
MafiaPrincess MafiaPrincess is offline
Obvious trollsare Obvious
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ontario
Posts: 6,124
Default

Why would you want an swing on both sides? Unless doing CARO rally versatility there's no reason for my dog to be on my right..
__________________

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles


Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-26-2010, 03:19 PM
Linds's Avatar
Linds Linds is offline
Twin 2
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 6,485
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MafiaPrincess View Post
Why would you want an swing on both sides? Unless doing CARO rally versatility there's no reason for my dog to be on my right..
Mainly, because I want too

I like having my dog be able to do things on both sides and not get stuck with one or the other. I'm going to teach him a "front" from behind, finish facing away from my front and then heel backwards as I walk forwards.

And, dogs can heel from either side in Ring sports, which he will be doing
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-26-2010, 03:49 PM
corgipower's Avatar
corgipower corgipower is offline
Tweleve Enthusiest
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: here
Posts: 8,233
Default

For a swing finish I start with me standing in front of him so he's in a sit front position. Then I take a step towards him, kind of angling my step slightly to my right, so he ends up on my left. I tell him to heel and keep walking. Once he has the idea in motion I start taking fewer steps of heeling and I ask for a heel before I step towards him, eventually fading that cue.

I also find that teaching pivots helps them get the idea faster. The only thing about doing it that way is sometimes you get a flip finish instead of a swing. I haven't found a good way to train one or the other between those two.

If you want it on both sides, I would work both sides. Use a different word for him to go to the right.
__________________
The slayer of all things happy since 2010
Kibble feeder since 1973

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-26-2010, 04:24 PM
Saeleofu's Avatar
Saeleofu Saeleofu is offline
Jelly baby?
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Kansas
Posts: 9,013
Default

I don't see a problem working on both sides - in fact I encourage it! I started out teaching Gavroche to heel on my right side. It was actually by accident, but it worked out well. Now when I'm out with both dogs, I say "heel" and I have a dog on either side of me
__________________


Vortex Canine - Custom Harnesses and Leashes

"Never cruel nor cowardly. Never give up. Never give in."
~The Doctor
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-26-2010, 05:14 PM
Linds's Avatar
Linds Linds is offline
Twin 2
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 6,485
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgipower View Post
For a swing finish I start with me standing in front of him so he's in a sit front position. Then I take a step towards him, kind of angling my step slightly to my right, so he ends up on my left. I tell him to heel and keep walking. Once he has the idea in motion I start taking fewer steps of heeling and I ask for a heel before I step towards him, eventually fading that cue.

I also find that teaching pivots helps them get the idea faster. The only thing about doing it that way is sometimes you get a flip finish instead of a swing. I haven't found a good way to train one or the other between those two.

If you want it on both sides, I would work both sides. Use a different word for him to go to the right.
That's very helpful, thanks! I have been working on the pivot because I figured no matter how I taught swing, that motion would be a good one to have some muscle memory for

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
I don't see a problem working on both sides - in fact I encourage it! I started out teaching Gavroche to heel on my right side. It was actually by accident, but it worked out well. Now when I'm out with both dogs, I say "heel" and I have a dog on either side of me
I think it's always nice to have a heel on both sides also. With Kaylee I did more of a tight heel on the left but loose leash next to me on either side. I bike with her on the right all the time so she's also learned to stay pretty nicely next to me like that too

It was funny, the first time after I had been biking with her for a month on the right I went to the petstore and she had been walking on the left. I grabbed a cart and she immediately got onto my left side into her bike position
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-26-2010, 05:35 PM
lizzybeth727's Avatar
lizzybeth727 lizzybeth727 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 6,403
Default

I like CP's method.

But the way I do it is that I teach a hand touch first, and then use the hand to "lure" the dog around into position. It IS easier if you teach pivots as well. And yes, finish left is a different behavior - to the dog - than finish right, but you can teach them at the same time or at different times, it doesn't matter. At work we teach our dogs to walk on both sides, and IME it's way easier to teach them at the same time, than to get the dog really patterned to working on one side and then switching.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:25 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site