Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 08-26-2010, 07:04 PM
Top Dog

Default ..

I use "stay" and "wait" (which may be counterproductive because of the long A sound?) I train the wait with dinner, then with stairs. I want a dog to wait at the top of the stairs until I am at the bottom (imagine carrying a baby or using a cane and getting bumped). The stairs wait is very short and easy even for a hyperenergetic or young dog. You don't even need the clicker, most dogs, esp puppies, respond to your hand held out or a wave of the had. I also love the idea of a standing stay. Sometimes you don't want your dog to lie down on that broken glass, or because if he sits first his front paws might end up in a bad place. Also, some dogs have been trained so methodically that theywill not lie down or stay unless you put him into a sit first.

Last edited by Maura; 08-26-2010 at 07:05 PM. Reason: ..
Old 08-27-2010, 10:26 AM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maura View Post
I also love the idea of a standing stay. Sometimes you don't want your dog to lie down on that broken glass, or because if he sits first his front paws might end up in a bad place. Also, some dogs have been trained so methodically that theywill not lie down or stay unless you put him into a sit first.
I really like it too and I think the standing stay is a great way to really get through to them that this is also a position. I've been working really hard on stand stay the last two days and I can see it improving other parts of this training.

Like having him focus while in a stand position helps get rid of that desire to sit or down when I say focus, and also helps for heeling and keeping focus. It's also made it so when he goes from a down or a sit into a stand there is less forward movement and he locks his legs. I've also noticed his entire stay is getting better, and he seems to really be getting that it means don't move from whatever position you are in or put in

But anyways, sorry I was digressing
Old 08-27-2010, 10:39 AM
Top Dog

I had a little game I played with my Doberman, Lyric. We'd be walking in heel position and I'd have him "wait" while I kept on walking, looking straight ahead where I was going, not at him. Of course, at first, I had to pause a little to get him to wait. But gradually got it so I could keep walking without breaking my pace and have him wait. Then after about 10 ft or so, I'd make a little wrist motion and say, "heel" and he'd catch up with me and heel for a while. Then we'd do it again, over and over.

The next phase was to get him to do the same thing, but in a sit position when he would wait and also in a down/wait....then catch up to me fast and heel along as we walked. I had to teach him to down quickly in various contexts and when I was in various positions relative to him.... and also had to gradually eliminate my having to pause to get him into those positions...to teach him to sit, stand or down quickly even if I weren't standing right in front of him, but walking along. So, that's another reason to practice sitting, staying or waiting (whatever) when you're not always, always in the same position or doing the same thing. It makes it easier for them to separate out the stay or wait from other coinciding behaviors.

It was good brain exercise for him and fun. It is actually a "trick" used in police work, I think, so the dog learns when to hold back and when to come along...pretty much pointless for my pet dog, lol... except it was just a trick, fun and challenging.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 08-27-2010, 09:01 PM
Top Dog

What a great trick! I do this with my collie, but it's more just to exercise his brain a little. I've seen film of schutzhund and noticed the dogs magicly just stop almost midstep while the handler keeps on going. It looks pretty cool.