Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-24-2010, 08:13 PM
Professional Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
I haven't been able to find a forum either.

That seems odd. They are certainly plentiful enough that they have the community for it.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:46 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by stafinois View Post
That seems odd. They are certainly plentiful enough that they have the community for it.
Maybe it's just in the South, but IME they're not as common as they used to be. When I lived in AL and in TX both, I hardly ever saw one, and it was about a year ago that I finally saw a smooth collie in person.

Good breeders are incredibly hard to find. There are only about 5 collie breeders in TX at all, and none of them are good.

But I do agree that there should be a collie forum, there are forums for tons of other breeds.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:29 PM
F150 and a .30-06

google PrarieMist Shelties. They breed Collies. I dont know alot about her breeding practices, but I house sit for her. They have good solid temperments and she shows. She's in Alberta, but could give you info

Did you look up the Collie Club of America?

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 08-24-2010, 09:30 PM
Professional Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post
Maybe it's just in the South, but IME they're not as common as they used to be. When I lived in AL and in TX both, I hardly ever saw one, and it was about a year ago that I finally saw a smooth collie in person.

Good breeders are incredibly hard to find. There are only about 5 collie breeders in TX at all, and none of them are good.

But I do agree that there should be a collie forum, there are forums for tons of other breeds.

I just mean that there are a lot more Collies out there than Belgians, and I have no problems finding Belgian forums.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:58 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennSLK View Post
Did you look up the Collie Club of America?
There's no breeder listing on the CCA website.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:15 PM
Show Dog

Quote:
Spiritwind - are the puppies spoken for?
Lizzybeth, yes, most, should be spoken for! Though I plan to grow out two of them myself. The litter is co-bred with breeder friends of mine in Georgia, so some of the puppies will go down with them, though the litter is here with me (The mother, Paris, is my baby and I could not let her leave for a few months to have a litter!)... lol

Mother is CH Spiritwind Barely An Angel
Sire is CH Deep River Bow and Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by stafinois View Post
Is there a good Collie forum that I can join? I'm thinking that a Collie would be the best choice for us, at least to help placate my fuddy duddy of a husband!
I do know of some Collie Forums actually. However my favorite one is based in Europe, but its a European based forum devoted to the American Collie.

Quote:

They are not near as common as they used to be (a good thing, IMO), and smooths were never as common as roughs anyway, but they are still around.. you just need to know where to look.

I do know of some good breeders in Texas as well..
Old 08-24-2010, 11:18 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
There's no breeder listing on the CCA website.
There is at Collies Online: Collies Online -- Breeders Directory

And maybe I did some looking around today, too.

Oh, and anything more on health issues? Health and temperament are my biggest concerns (for any potential breed).
Old 08-25-2010, 12:36 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey08 View Post

Oh, and anything more on health issues? Health and temperament are my biggest concerns (for any potential breed).
They show one breeder in Kansas...that's one more than I ever knew about

I've only seen 2 collies here other than Logan, and one is a very poorly bred one as far as looks go (awesome, intelligent dog, though...that's the dog that beat Gavroche and I in rally a few months back by 1 point). It's amazing when people even know that Logan is a collie!
Old 08-25-2010, 01:37 AM
Show Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey08 View Post

Colliesonline is a GREAT place to see what Collies and breeders are doing in all different events. The breeder directory isn't really all that complete though, as far as breeders in each state. There are VERY few breeders listed.

Also, the 2011 CCA national specialty show is in Tulsa, OK this coming April!

As far as health goes. The most common thing would be CEA (Collie Eye Anomaly), which every puppy any breeder produces should be tested for by a certified ophthalmologist around 6-8 wks of age.

You need to watch out for bloat in some lines.

Other less common things would be PRA (seems to be more common in certain bloodlines), as well some lines you see Demodex as well as Dermatomyositis (often called "DM" in the Collie world).

You can check out the Collie Health Foundation website for more info

Collie Health Foundation Home Page
Old 08-25-2010, 08:08 AM
Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One

All I know is that they are gorgeous and they are on the list of 50 or so dogs breeds I would like to get
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.