Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 09-11-2008, 10:03 AM
Shadow945 Shadow945 is offline
Big Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 130
Default

I actually posted a blog about this not too long ago on www.petknows.com. According to a veterinarian, the ratio is about 1oz per 10lbs of dog weight for dark chocolate, and 10oz per 10lbs of dog weight for white chocolate to poison the dog.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 03-14-2009, 02:27 AM
Roger G Roger G is offline
Active Pup
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4
Default

This was some really good information. Too bad it's not as widely known as it should be and more vets should post some info in their offices, or otherwise make their patients aware of this. Can only imagine how many people toss their pets a piece of chocolate as a treat, figuring the smile on their pets face means it's okay.

{edited by mod- removed link}

Last edited by Buddy'sParents; 03-14-2009 at 03:50 AM. Reason: took out advertising link
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 07-03-2009, 04:44 PM
bubbatd's Avatar
bubbatd bubbatd is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 64,812
Default

Same with raisons !!! Before the warnings many dogs enjoyed them tossed from toddler's trays .
__________________
A light for all who are crossing dark times.


http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 08-10-2009, 10:24 AM
jschofield09 jschofield09 is offline
Active Pup
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 12
Default

One time in our house we gave our dog almost a bar of chocolate and he ate it all. After eating it all we noticed that he looks tipsy and after a day he lost his appetite, then the next day he died.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 10-28-2009, 03:51 PM
Amanda885's Avatar
Amanda885 Amanda885 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 684
Default

great article!
I try to never give my dog any chocolate or too much human food so he doesn't beg or get sick. I would just use caution if you are going to. Anything in excess is not good for anyone. I've never intentionally given my dog chocolate, but he's scooped some off the floor before if ive dropped it, but thats about it. He's never gotten sick.
__________________
:: "Dogs are miracles with paws" ::
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 06-02-2010, 10:42 PM
jeffs jeffs is offline
Active Pup
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
We've all heard the horror stories about dogs and chocolate, but rarely anything other than "it's poison to dogs." Finally, I ran across an article that explains it and will dispel some of the panic if we find out our dogs have snuck off with the last piece of that Hershey bar or a stolen bite of brownie.

http://www.petplace.com/Articles/artShow.asp?ArtId=602
link's not working
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 11-07-2010, 09:24 PM
Paul Bright Paul Bright is offline
Big Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 122
Default

Great post!!!

Here are other foods that might be of interest to you:

What You Should Never Feed Your Dog ? Part 1 | Golden Retriever Training

What You Should Never Feed Your Dog ? Part 2 | Golden Retriever Training

What You Should Never Feed Your Dog ? Part 3 | Golden Retriever Training

and for chocolates:

Your Dogs and CHOCOLATES | Golden Retriever Training


Hope these help!!!
__________________
You're About To Discover Secrets About Clicker Training Almost No One Knows About Ė Click Here
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 02-27-2011, 02:38 AM
CindyMWyman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Chocolate addictive

My dogs fav food is chocolate. And so far i don't see any signs of disease. I dont know if i have to stop buying him a chocolate because its our hobby to eat a chocolate with each other..
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 02-27-2011, 08:10 AM
Barb04's Avatar
Barb04 Barb04 is offline
Love my pets
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 27,169
Default

Cindy, why do you want to see signs that your dog is getting ill from chocolate to stop feeding it. Stop giving your dog chocolate now to avoid a future illness.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 07-06-2011, 01:25 PM
John Carlo John Carlo is offline
Active Pup
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 2
Red face My dog (beagle) ate chocolate but she's ok

My dog Suzie (a beagle) ate a whole chocolate Hershey bar, but she is ok. The vet said that because it was milk chocolate that the chemical theobromine, which dogs cannot digest isnít as much. Whew, a big scare, but we learned our lesson for leaving chocolate around the house.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:46 AM.


©1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site