Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 03-07-2013, 09:00 PM
Big Dog

Exclamation Quick help with raw for Addie please

I have started transitioning Addie from Z/D to Nature's Variety venison raw. She had been doing well, but threw up both her meals today. I am almost out of kibble, so I need to make a decision whether to try a different protein raw, or buy another bag of Z/D. What do y'all think? I was really hoping this would work for her
Old 03-07-2013, 09:02 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Does she have a history of stomach issues? What did she produce when she vomited, bile or undigested food?

Old 03-07-2013, 09:09 PM
Top Dog

Did she re-eat it? Was she acting like she was sick? Sometimes the food just comes back up especially when they are getting used to it
Old 03-07-2013, 09:12 PM
Big Dog

Undigested food, she acted scared like she was upset. But since we're in the house I of course scooped her up really quick and took her outside. So that could be why she acts upset, she didn't get a chance to eat it- but she probably would...
Old 03-07-2013, 09:13 PM
Big Dog

She hasn't had stomach issues except with chicken kibble as a puppy, and when she was on very strong antibiotics.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:14 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
Did she re-eat it? Was she acting like she was sick? Sometimes the food just comes back up especially when they are getting used to it
Yeah I agree! My roommate's dog had a rough time switching over at first and would regurgitate and re-eat some of his meals. And IME tossing up some bile the morning after eating raw is not uncommon in dogs that are transitioning.

If she wasn't put off and seemed normal after vomiting, I would persist with the raw.

Oh, and, you might consider a probiotic, for some dogs it can really help. My Mal had some pretty nasty diarrhea when I first got her and plain yogurt with her meals has made all the difference. If she doesn't handle dairy well, there are powdered probiotics as well.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:15 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkj2013 View Post
She hasn't had stomach issues except with chicken kibble as a puppy, and when she was on very strong antibiotics.
Ok, cool! Knowing that, if she were my dog, I would definitely keep trying the raw. I would put her on a probiotic, and maybe even a digestive enzyme, if she continues to have digestive issues.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:17 PM
Big Dog

Ok thanks! Would you suggest a different maybe less rich protein? I'm asking all these questions because I need to either go buy kibble or make my first trip to the butcher tomorrow lol..
Old 03-07-2013, 09:22 PM
Big Dog

Oh, and could it be upsetting her stomach to be feeding her both kibble and raw because of digestion times? What is the best way to switch her over?
Old 03-07-2013, 09:25 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkj2013 View Post
Ok thanks! Would you suggest a different maybe less rich protein? I'm asking all these questions because I need to either go buy kibble or make my first trip to the butcher tomorrow lol..
Well, usually venison is pretty lean. I checked out the NV's website, and the Venison is one of the leanest formulas. So I think you're ok there. I think she probably just needs to ride out an adjustment period. Of course, if she keeps puking you might want to try another protein.

My plan for her, barring any digestive disaster, would be to keep her on the venison formula until she was very regular and well adjusted. Then I would start rotating varieties, assuming all went well.

ETA: Re switching, I would go cold turkey. IME you often can mix raw and kibble without issue, but when you're trying to transition a dog, often it's easier just to cut them cold turkey and let their system reconfigure a little.