Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Grooming Forum

Old 08-25-2010, 10:50 AM
Very Food Agressive

Well, Izzy absolutely hates her slicker so it's be relegated to cat use only. However, she doesn't hate her undercoat rake and it's great for the first go through on her butt fluff.

Ours is only single rowed and looks a little like this:

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:06 PM
Show Dog

I use on my grooming clients and have used on my own dogs is a Coat King by Mars. Basically it thins out the under coat and helps make them not as poofy. I've used this on goldens, shelties, cockers and other breeds that have some poofy coat that needs to be thinned down. ***A hint on how to use this tool run it through the coat for couple of strokes then use a slicker to get any loose coat out, keep doing this until you get the desired look you want!**** I used this technique with my show cocker to get the side coat to lay flat and have used this tool on other show clients!!

**Be careful you can take too much coat out and make them bald!! Hence a couple of strokes at a time.**
Old 09-15-2010, 02:10 AM
Top Dog

With Aesop I just run a comb through. We don't have to trim, thin, etc. Grimm gets a comb and an occasional trim. Rarely need the latter though.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:29 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeHillChi's View Post
I use on my grooming clients and have used on my own dogs is a Coat King by Mars.
Which blade do you like to use? I've been looking at getting a stripping knife for a while but just don't know which I should pick up, and definitely don't want to get the wrong one since they're not very cheap (and I hate to ruin Auggie's coat.)

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 09-16-2010, 10:12 PM
Show Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Which blade do you like to use? I've been looking at getting a stripping knife for a while but just don't know which I should pick up, and definitely don't want to get the wrong one since they're not very cheap (and I hate to ruin Auggie's coat.)
It's not a stripping knife more of a stripping rake. The less number of blades on it the less it will take off the more blades the more it takes off. I use the one with 10 blades & 12 blades just depends on how much you want to take off. They both do the same thing just the 10 balde takes more time to cut down on the coat than the 12 blade.

Manufacturer's recommendations:

•Coarse - for wirehaired dogs (like Schnauzers) for preparing job, coarse, 6 special sharpened blades, wooden handle.
•Medium - for longhaired dogs (like Old English Sheepdog) for preparing job, medium, 10 special sharpened blades, wooden handle.
•Fine - for stock-haired dogs (like German Shepherd) for complete job, fine,
•12 special sharpened blades, wooden handle.
•Extra Fine 16 Blade - for stock-haired and longhaired dogs, as well as for Terriers for finishing, extra fine, 16 special sharpened blades, wooden handle.

•Extra Fine 20 Blade - for stock-haired and longhaired dogs, as well as for Terriers for finishing, extra fine, 20 special sharpened blades, wooden handle.

As for stripping knives I use the Classic stripping knife coarse and fine. But I wouldn't use that on a sheltie coat. I use the coat king on grooming & show client shelties. Just do a little at a time & remember to brush in between using the coat king, until you get the desired look you want. I would either use the 10 or 12 blade.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:19 PM
Top Dog

slicker brush and cowboy magic (usually used for horses). Seems to do the trick, but beware of walking on your hardwood floors in socks for a while because when they lay down, it makes the floors super slick.

Boo doesn't like the slicker brush really either, but you don't actually have to touch the pins to the dog if they're lying down, just the fuzzy hair.

My Hiking Blog: http://thehikinghokie.blogspot.com/