Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Grooming Forum

Old 08-08-2010, 05:14 AM
Let it be

Default For those of us with dogs with bushy butts

What grooming tool(s) do you find the most effective to tackle the rear end of a dog with collie pants? Bandit has such a bushy butt. He doesn't get poo stuck on himself like my old Sheltie did thank goodness, but his arse hair does get knotted really easily. Is there some sort of detangler I can spray on before hand that will make it easier? Needless to say he isn't too fond of someone brushing through his thick butt hair when he's been out for a romp and it's gotten tangled.

Help us.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:11 AM
Top Dog

ooh good question. Miss flufferbutt here has quite the pantaloons, and i dont know what to do with them.

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 08-08-2010, 09:51 AM
Lord Cynical

I linecomb with a long-tined metal comb.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 08-08-2010, 10:26 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

The Stuff, and this brush.

You can also take thinning shears to them and thin them out. Auggie has quite the pants going on and it looks dumb considering he is not very heavily coated anywhere else, so I thin them out a bit every few months to keep his overall level of floofiness consistent, LOL.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 08-08-2010, 12:43 PM
I'm All Ears

The papillons have bushy butts but since they're not double coated, they don't need any extra work. Now my shelties... I used an undercoat rake, comb, and thinning shears.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:39 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I use an undercoat rake on Chloe, then a slicker brush, then a comb...and once all of the tangles are out I have the groomer use a skip blade (I think that is what they are called...an attachment that you put on clippers to just take some hair off, but not shave..?) down her back so she still has a fuzzy butt, just not so thick and wild. It is much more managable when it is shorter!

Old 08-20-2010, 05:30 PM
Top Dog

Thinning shears are your friend. It's kind of hard to explain how to use them without showing you though...search on youtube for videos? Not sure.

At the store, I use a pin brush to get through the chunky undercoat, brush from the bottom up with a slicker brush, and go through it all with a comb (after the thinning shears).

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 08-20-2010, 07:39 PM
~Lisa~

I just use a snap on comb on my clippers and go through it. Not to short, but it helps, then I thin them out with my shears. His butt hair is thick troll like hair, does its own thing. Doesnt really mat just looks SO messy 99% of the time due to the troll type of hair as I call it lol.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:03 PM
Top Dog

My aussie has a definite fluffy butt I use thinning shears and an undercoat rake, and really thin her out,,then I clip her a "butt" so to speak..I swear it comes back thicker than ever tho ( Oh and I usually spray on a detangler, even tho thank goodness, she doesn't matt or tangle, just makes it easier to strip out..
Old 08-25-2010, 12:20 AM
Ruddy Buttinski

I use a brush (pin brush?) on Sienna that's similar to the one I use on my own hair. I also got a detangling spray but I'm not sure how well it works. Anyone have recommendations?

And I admit, I do use clippers on her bum. Especially now that it's summer and our lawn is a forest of sticky burrs, I've been clipping her mane, tail, ears, and trim on her front legs as well. Not short, but she looks much tidier! And attracts less burrs...when she rolls around in the lawn. xD

My current project, becoming a nonprofit: Lost Pets of Southern California
Sienna's new blog: Reasons My Dog is Sulking